Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for grips for my 605. I wanted something with a covered backstrap and long enough for all of my fingers. I bought a couple of grips and then realized that maybe the info I have gained might help someone else. I put this table together to try to do that. All info is based on the grips installed on my 2015 605. It came from the factory with the bull’s head grip.

L-R: Taurus Boot, Taurus Bulls Head, Uncle Mike's Boot, Uncle Mike's Combat, Pacmayr Compac

Backstrap – Either open or covered

Length – Either longer than the frame or not

Thickness – Measured at the thickest portion of the grip

Trigger Reach – Measured straight across the backstrap from where your finger rests on the trigger. This dimension is only supplied to compare from one grip to the next for the Small frame Taurus.

Production – If the grip is in production or not. Based on information I have as of 7/26/2016

Material – The grip’s material.

Speedloader – Based on if ammo can be loaded out of a speed loader while using that grip. Fiddly means that you can get the ammo in the chambers but the speed loader rubs the grip. All ammo tested in an HKS 36-A loader. Ammo was Armscor 158 grain jacketed roundnose for both chamberings

Blanks in the table indicate that I do not have that grip available to me. All information about grips I don’t have available to me is hearsay.

GripBackstrapLengthThicknessTrigger ReachProductionMaterial.357 Speedloader.38 Speedloader
Uncle Mike’s BootOpenFrame1.230”2.625”NoCheckered RubberYesYes
Uncle Mike’s CombatCoveredLonger1.180”2.640”NoCheckered RubberYesYes
Pachmayr CompacCoveredLonger1.260”2.970”NoCheckered RubberYesYes
Factory BullCoveredLonger1.075”2.915”YesRubber with BullNoFiddly
Factory BootCoveredFrame1.130”2.940”NoPebbled RubberNoFiddly
Hogue MonogripOpenLonger1.195"2.625"YesPebbled RubberYesYes
ATI X2 ScorpionCoveredLongerYesRubber
Precision Specialties HideoutOpenFrameNoPlastic

How trigger reach was measured

Taurus Bulls Head

Taurus Boot

Pacmayr Compacs

Uncle Mike’s Combat

Uncle Mike’s Boot

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
​Awesome, thanks for sharing such useful information!

·
Registered
19 Posts
what great info Thanks a lot nice to see what each one looks like installed you did a great favor for all you just answered my questions

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
flareside- As a Taurus newbie this was a big help. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Thanks i'd like to change my 605 grips to the Uncle Mike's Combat grips.Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem everyone. I'd still like to try the ones I haven't yet on my list. The UM Combats are hard to find. I bought mine without a screw from eBay.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
No problem everyone. I'd still like to try the ones I haven't yet on my list. The UM Combats are hard to find. I bought mine without a screw from eBay.
Flareside- As a noob in the TA house, I've got some follow up questions.
Say you have a new 85 with the factory Bull grip that attaches via roll pin. How would you attach a different factory or aftermarket grip?
How about Crimson Trace Laser Grip?
I've also been reading threads where TA members indicated that the warranty is void if grip is removed; Yet another indicated CS said you need to send it in to change grips.
Even if I don't change grips, once in awhile I'll want to open the side plate for thorough cleaning, and that requires removing the grip. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the aftermarket grips I bought have a screw and wrap around the frame so that is all you need. If you wanted to use the small factory style grips that only cover the frame you will have to install a pin in the roll pin hole to keep the grip from rotating. I assume the laser grips attach with a screw. The roll pin in my bulls head grip pushed out very easily with just a punch in my hand. I would just put the stock grip back on if I had to send it in for service.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
All of the aftermarket grips I bought have a screw and wrap around the frame so that is all you need. If you wanted to use the small factory style grips that only cover the frame you will have to install a pin in the roll pin hole to keep the grip from rotating. I assume the laser grips attach with a screw. The roll pin in my bulls head grip pushed out very easily with just a punch in my hand. I would just put the stock grip back on if I had to send it in for service.
THX for the info/advise flareside....

I have an 85 on layaway at the moment. I did so after trying out a rental at my local gun range. The rental had factory boot grips on it and it felt just fine. I'm assuming my new 85 will have the factory bull grip, so I'll see how it feels before I make a move.

·
23,283 Posts
flareside, that is a really impressive post!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thanks for this post great info. I have to check if Uncle Mike's it still making that combat grip. This is my preferred carry set up for the latest gen small frames:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uncle Mike's is not making any Taurus revolver grips to the best of my knowledge. The old style factory boot grips aren't bad just too thin for me. I prefer the Uncle Mike's boot grips for frame sized grips.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Flareside: Have some new info to share today.

I dug a little deeper into the Crimson Laser Grip issue mentioned previously. I have CL grips on some of my guns and like them. One additional benefit to having these grips on the 85 is it will give me a full grasp (although so far I can manage with the stock grip). However there was a comment on the Optics Planet website that claimed the Crimson Trace model LG-385 does not work with small J-frame Taurus mfg. after 2015.

So then I looked for more user comments and found this on Amazon (from Bud G.):
"I have a 2016 Model 85. I modified the installation to fit. Had to shorten the roll pin by 1/4 inch and open the hole in the right side by just a little using drill bits turning by fingers.Fits perfect. Having said that, here's the Taurus info from Crimson Trace: "Fits Taurus models 17*, 85, 94, 327 six-shot, 605, 650, 651, 731, 850, 905 and 941. Does not fit Public Defender. Does not fit Polymer frame models. *Except Tracker Does not fit Taurus “Compact 5 shot revolver (e.g. Model 85, 94, 605, 650, 731, 905 and 941) manufactured after 2014." They don't have a timeframe for fixing this, but if they sent a roll pin to fit it would work for all models. It also helps to have a roll pin punch set to move the pins."

In any event I emailed Crimson Trace customer service for clarification.

Then I called Taurus to find out the deal with removing the grips. Spoke to Ray at Taurus and he said the grips can be removed as long as nothing is altered inside and specifically mentioned not to remove the side-plate.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Crimson Trace Laser Grips from Optics Planet. The grips fit just fine, and the three screws appear to secure the grip to the frame very well. These grips allow for a full grasp as opposed to the pinky hanging off somewhat with the bull head factory grip. Range trip Monday, we'll see how it feels then.

In the previous post above, the gentleman noted that he shortened the roll pin and he enlarged the hole slightly on the inside of right grip panel. Sure enough the left side grip panel hole is accepts the roll pin and the right side would need slight enlargement to accept the roll pin. However I did not use the roll pin because the instructions do not say anything about re-installing the roll pin.

I'm speculating that the grips purchased may be a newer version. The reason I say that is because YouTube installation instructions show only one screw being used to attach the grips to the frame.
Gun Firearm Revolver Starting pistol Trigger

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I went ahead and purchased the Crimson Trace Laser Grips from Optics Planet. The grips fit just fine, and the three screws appear to secure the grip to the frame very well. These grips allow for a full grasp as opposed to the pinky hanging off somewhat with the bull head factory grip. Range trip Monday, we'll see how it feels then.

In the previous post above, the gentleman noted that he shortened the roll pin and he enlarged the hole slightly on the inside of right grip panel. Sure enough the left side grip panel hole is accepts the roll pin and the right side would need slight enlargement to accept the roll pin. However I did not use the roll pin because the instructions do not say anything about re-installing the roll pin.

I'm speculating that the grips purchased may be a newer version. The reason I say that is because YouTube installation instructions show only one screw being used to attach the grips to the frame.
View attachment 284041
I ordered the exact same grips for my 605. I love the CT grips on the rest of my pistols (I have 5 others) and their quality is top-notch.

Reactions: Mark40

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The range trip went just fire this morning. Sighting it in was a piece of cake. Grip felt fine, could fully grasp the revolver. Fitment appears to be right on the money; no gaps, feels tight. Definitely an improvement.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The range trip went just fire this morning. Sighting it in was a piece of cake. Grip felt fine, could fully grasp the revolver. Fitment appears to be right on the money; no gaps, feels tight. Definitely an improvement.
That's great! ......and exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Mine should be here tomorrow.:)

Reactions: Mark40

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Here's a direct comparison between the standard 85 grips and the Taurus combat grips. They were dirt cheap, ordered them from the Taurus 800 number.

The extra pinky deal made the gun very easy to hang on to.

hope this helps!

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Art Fictional character Illustration

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about the Taurus combat grips when putting together my 605 but I figured they would be too thin for me like their boot grips

1 - 20 of 50 Posts