Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time poster here.
A few days ago I was going thru all my guns taking photos and recording serial numbers so if they ever got stolen I would have records for the cops and insurance. About a year ago I bought off Gunbroker from a FFL a new Taurus 24-7 in 45acp, to my surprise I noticed the last number "8" use to be a "2". Both the numbers on the slide and barrel are like this. The box and all paper work that show a serial # say "8"

Should I be worried? Who should I contact to find out if this was a boo boo at the factory or if someone has messed with the numbers?
Also while I have your attention ,does anyone make a adjustable rear sight for this gun? It shoots about 6" low at 25 yards. At first I thought it may be me but I have let 4 other guys shoot it and all of them shot 6" low using several different kinds of ammo.
Thanks!
Water Rat
Click on the photos for a bigger view.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome from TX! I suggest you contact Taurus CS to see what they'll have to say (1-800-327-3776 or 1-305-624-1115). There are a few aftermarket sights that should work for the 24/7's. I am using the stock sights so I will let other people who actually replaced the sights on their 24/7's give you their input.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm guessing you have a three-dot sight? Try ignoring the tops of the sights; line the dots up, and cover the target.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing you have a three-dot sight? Try ignoring the tops of the sights; line the dots up, and cover the target.
Yep 3 dot. I have never used sights by covering the target and I don't want to take a chance on reverting to what I know and have used all my life should I have to ever use it in self defense. Thus I need a adjustable rear sight or maybe file the front sight down but then the dots wont align .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with Taurus and all they said was send the gun to them for inspection.

I wonder what would happen if I placed a call to the ATF and asked them about it and see if they would run the serial # with the 2 instead of the 8. I would think if it come back clean as a 2 and there's not two guns out there with my serial # every thing would be ok?
How's the ATF to deal with?
My biggest fear would be loosing my gun and the $ I paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
40,577 Posts
I am very interested in what you find out from Taurus. I personally would not want to be in possession of that gun. That is just one big red flag to me.

I know we have some LEO on here I wonder what their opinions are?

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
Go with Taurus first and let them deal with it. I would avoid the ATF as once your on their radar your under their thumb forever. The serial etching looks the same so I believe it was Taurus that corrected it.

In the Auto business we had the VIN stamp machine screw up all the time and had special stamps and a certain way to make it legal. As all VIN stamps have to match Throughout the whole car.

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
You would just wait for a while. Because lets see.....you posted in the internet a few key words....guns.....serial number.....changed.....ATF
Your most likely now on the Radar.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Check with Taurus first. I can't quite tell from your pics, but it looks like it is a laser overmark of the eight over the two. Pretty hard to do if you don't have the proper equiptment. Although unusual, I suspect that it is a factory slip up. Otherwise, how do you explain everything matching? I know that it's not exactly the same thing, but with coins, an over mark of an improperly stamped date is not uncommon. Who knows, it might even be an error that increases the value like it does on coins.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Just got off the phone with Taurus and all they said was send the gun to them for inspection.

I wonder what would happen if I placed a call to the ATF and asked them about it and see if they would run the serial # with the 2 instead of the 8. I would think if it come back clean as a 2 and there's not two guns out there with my serial # every thing would be ok?
How's the ATF to deal with?
My biggest fear would be loosing my gun and the $ I paid for it.
If they want to look at it, FINE!!! But they pay the freight, and any other costs.

But if it was me, I would keep it just as is???

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
If you deal with Taurus, and considering you have a paper trail with Gunbroker, worst case scenario is Taurus sends you a new gun with the correct serial number on it. They should pay shipping both ways, you just bought it new.

However, if you deal with the ATF alone, you risk being out of a gun and your money completely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they want to look at it, FINE!!! But they pay the freight, and any other costs.

But if it was me, I would keep it just as is???
If I keep as is.
What happens later when I sale it or the wrong person happens to see it?
Its not worth the worry to me, I would rather get it taken care of. If Taurus clears it thru ATF then Im fine with it as is and like one member said it may increase the value some day. I was really wanting a OSS when I bought this but I got a good deal on this one.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A few days ago I was going thru all my guns taking photos and recording serial numbers so if they ever got stolen I would have records for the cops and insurance. About a year ago I bought off Gunbroker from a FFL a new Taurus 24-7 in 45acp, to my surprise I noticed the last number "8" use to be a "2". Both the numbers on the frame and barrel are like this. The box and all paper work that show a serial # say "8"
Huh. I used to do the same thing on my report cards. :rolleyes::D I wouldn't agonize over it too much - just give Taurus a call as has been suggested. Just don't point it out to your dad - that never worked out too well for me....:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After thinking it over I think I will send it to Taurus.
Whats the cheapest or best way for a citizen to ship it to them?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
After thinking it over I think I will send it to Taurus.
Whats the cheapest or best way for a citizen to ship it to them?
Thanks!!
Just call 'em up - the phone number's on the Taurus website. They'll tell you exactly what, if anything, you need to do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts