Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am a very satisfied owner of a PT940. When I purchased the gun in 2000, it was in reaction to Taurus' public announcement that they would not be a part of the S&W/Klinton deal - rather than really want or need the gun. I just wanted to support Taurus. :thumb: (And kick S&W in the you-know-where... :mad:) I bought a couple boxes of ammo, but the gun sat for a period measured in years without being fired.

Fast forward a few years, & I decided to sell the gun to generate some cash. Knowing that advertising it "unfired" probably wouldn't add much value, I figured I'd load 5 rounds in the mag & see how it ran - I had never touched off a .40S&W in any gun.

This was a mistake. (Note to all: never say goodbye to a firearm by going out for a range session!) At 50', 5 rounds into the black of an NRA 50' handgun target in SA. Load up 5 more, get a little more deliberate in my aiming & the group shrinks. Load up 5 more, this time touch off every round in SA & they are in the black.

Shoot all 100 rounds, go home, disassemble, clean, assemble, & back in the box. This gun is a keeper!

The gun still has very few rounds through it (about 250) - time is something I don't have a lot of, & I use the little time available to shoot the guns that I carry. While this gun is too good not to carry, the trigger could be better. I've tried dry firing a bunch, but it still seems a little inconsistant pull-to-pull, and could be smoother.

I'd like to get a trigger job & a general "going over" for carry. Are there any pistolsmiths that are popular on this board for working on the PT series of guns? Any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Is the trigger pull heavy or rough? I would rather have a long heavy trigger pull on my carry gun. If you get in a situation that you need it, 8-10 lb. triggers would be no problem. However, a short light trigger scares the hell out of me. I never want to have a carry gun on myself to protect me and then end up shooting myself in the foot, leg or groin. OWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the trigger pull heavy or rough?
Well, it seems a little rough - so I'm sure smoothing it out would also lighten it - & the pull weight seems inconsistant from pull-to-pull in SA.

Not to be critical, but if you follow safe gun handling techniques - never put your finger on the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire - there should not be an issue with any ND. One of my carry guns is a 1911 from a major manufacturer's custom shop with a light, crisp trigger & I am comfortable with it.

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts
There are documented cases of even LEO's that were in the aftermath of a shooting, still traumatized, and they went to put their Glock back into their case with their finger still in the trigger-well. Needless to say, the gun went BLAM. Glocks should have a rigid holster, and other guns like a Taurus should have the safety engaged, lest an accidental discharge occur. There are also reported cases of people shoving a Glock into a soft case, and the trigger gets pulled by the cloth while the gun is being pushed down into the holster. BE CAREFUL. :eek:

·
22,058 Posts
I personally will not carry a gun that does not have a manual safety. My M&P .40 is a great gun but it will only see daylight at the range or matches. I bought the M&P .45
with the thumb safety so I could carry it if I chose to. I like the low profile safety on the 24/7 pros. I am considering getting a 24/7 compact to carry because of the manual safety.
I like the M&P compact but is does not have the thumb safety.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although this is getting a little off-topic (but that's OK ;) ) I would opine that, at least upon reholstering, if you are composed enough to place your weapon on safe you are also composed enough to remove your finger from the trigger.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Kevinch said:
Not to be critical, but if you follow safe gun handling techniques - never put your finger on the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire - there should not be an issue with any ND. One of my carry guns is a 1911 from a major manufacturer's custom shop with a light, crisp trigger & I am comfortable with it.
I agree that the finger should stay away from the trigger until you are ready to shoot. But when you get in a defense situation, instinct takes over and sometimes "stuff" happens.

airwrench said:
I personally will not carry a gun that does not have a manual safety. My M&P .40 is a great gun but it will only see daylight at the range or matches. I bought the M&P .45
with the thumb safety so I could carry it if I chose to. I like the low profile safety on the 24/7 pros. I am considering getting a 24/7 compact to carry because of the manual safety.
I like the M&P compact but is does not have the thumb safety.
When I carry my 24/7 I do not use the safety. It is one more thing to have to do in a defense situation. You already have to draw, bring it up to target, and pull the trigger. I don't want to have to throw an extra step in there.

·
Registered
876 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
But when you get in a defense situation, instinct takes over and sometimes "stuff" happens.
I believe that TRAINING has a lot to do with what happens. When I switched duty holsters from a high ride to a mid ride, I had to practice (& still do) drawing & reholstering hundreds of times, to build that "muscle memory". You'll perform how you train.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts