Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kicking around the idea of buying a Taurus revolver for hunting a general home defense.

Any suggestions? .357 only.

·
32,647 Posts
Taurus models 608,627, or 66 with either 6 or 6.5 barrel would fill the bill.

These barrel lengths would give the velocity needed over their 4in. brethren. Sighting plain would be longer, too. More heft too absorb shock and hold the gun steady.

Some of these models come with porting that works well in reducing muzzle jump and recoil.

If that doesn't float the boat there is a Tracker model in .41 magnum. Splits the difference between the .357 and the .44 magnums. More power than the .357, but not as hard kicking as the .44. This may be somewhat subjective as far as recoil goes. There are exceptions to anything written here. Depends on the load used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking at the 608 and 627. I want to be able to hunt deer with it when I can not carry a rifle and for some home protection. You can never have too many handguns and the .357 can stop a man like not other.

·
32,647 Posts
The good news is there are scope mount bases that Taurus sells for mounting a low power revolver scope if such is wanted or needed. For the 627 or it's brethren of Tracker guise.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
All solid choices as is the Rossi R97206. ;D

I've owned a couple of model 65s in the past and currently own
the 627 Tracker. Initially it took me a little time to adjust to the ribber grip but now after having the revolver for awhile I've become accustomed to how it feels in my hand. From the website, it's listed at 40 ounces. The Titanium model is 28 ounces.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
LikesToShoot said:
Having a 357 around is always a good idea.
What are you planning on hunting? A 44mag would give you MUCH more stopping power.
+ 4 billion

.44 specials for indoor HD, .44 mags for hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
357 mag. is a good round, but 44 mag. is a great round!!!!

By the way, we have (2) 357 mag. revolvers in the house, a S&W Model 28 and a Colt Trooper Mk3, both are great guns. We also have (2) 44 Mags, a Taurus M44 and a S&W Model 629.

Bang for the buck, Taurus makes a great product, and I have to saw the M44 is one of my favorite guns to shoot!!! Big bang, big fireballs, and the recoil is alot less then with the S&W Model 629 and cost alot less!!!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
another +1 for .44mag (Raging Bull, Tracker, M44 or .44 Ultra Light)

.44 specials for home deffence, less noice and flash than .357mag. + bigger, heavier bullets.

and .44 magnums is a LOT better round for hunting.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
.357 loaded with buffalo bore 180 is all you'll ever need inside 75 yards for pigs and deer and with iron sights I limit my shots to 50 yards with any caliber. Load up that 6" .357 with 125-140s for home defense or if the flash bang is too much for you indoors in the dark, nothing wrong with a good .38+P load. Personally, a .38 does guard duty at my house for that reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts