Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new model 65 that I have put about 1000 rounds through, and a couple of days ago I noticed the forcing cone was cracked. Now I know Taurus would probably warranty the gun, but I have done some customization (replacing parts so it looks like an earlier model, but have retained the original parts) so I would rather try and fix it myself (something I really enjoy) before I try and send it to Taurus. I found/bought a barrel from Numrich, but if it doesn't clock right I will probably not go any farther. Has anyone had any experience with R&R a Taurus barrel? If so how close was it to clocking right. Thanks..

BTW, I already removed the old barrel which I found surprising (maybe to) easy.

·
8,960 Posts
IT is a delicate balance between trying to get it clocked or matched up to the frame and getting the forcing cone dimensions right. The two I have done both aligned pretty well, on the old mod 80 I did. I had to leave about a .001 gap between the barrel shoulder and the frame to get everything aligned. Did have to file off the face of the forcing cone just a tiny bit to get the .002 cylinder gap I wanted. Remember to use Leather or similar padded vise/ pliers when twisting new barrel on. Also check out youtube videos for tips as well. Good luck.

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
969 Posts
What about reinstalling the factory parts to get it back to its original condition? Then let Taurus replace the barrel. Since there is no undercut on the M65's forcing cone as there is with S&W K-Frames in .357 Magnum, it's definitely something that Taurus is responsible for.;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about reinstalling the factory parts to get it back to its original condition? Then let Taurus replace the barrel. Since there is no undercut on the M65's forcing cone as there is with S&W K-Frames in .357 Magnum, it's definitely something that Taurus is responsible for.;)
If a $60 barrel solves the problem, than it was worth the price (doing my own repairs and problem solving is what I live for). If the new barrel proves to be too problematic, I will admit defeat and, as you say, reinstall the OEM parts and send it off to Taurus.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If a $60 barrel solves the problem, than it was worth the price (doing my own repairs and problem solving is what I live for). If the new barrel proves to be too problematic, I will admit defeat and, as you say, reinstall the OEM parts and send it off to Taurus.
I certainly understand because I do the work on firearms myself whenever possible. But I do agree with silverstring regarding the difficulties you might run into. The right tools for the job, mainly. Back when barrels were pinned, it was easier to replace them since you basically just needed to line up the holes for the pin. Now, there is quite a bit of tension in the fit that maybe even a gunsmith doesn't have the necessary tools for. But if you know of a smith that is experienced with Taurus revolvers, that would certainly be an option if you want to use the barrel you've already purchased. And with the gunsmith option, you could try to do the work yourself, and if that doesn't work out, you have the smith for back-up.;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well it looks like it's going to work. The new barrel over clocked a bit, but I also measured the section of the barrel that threads into the frame and it is .004 longer than the old barrel. I rigged up a .004 shim out of aluminum foil and the barrel clocks perfect. Further with the new barrel threaded all the way into the frame, the barrel actually runs into the cylinder. I just bought a set of barrel shims, the smallest being .004. I figure with the .004 shim, the barrel will clock perfectly and the cylinder gap should be between .002 and .003. I've also put together some tools that should have no problems getting the job done. Further to follow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts