Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to get a little range time in today, so I went up to the Ft Worth Cabela's to grab some ammo, and browse the gun case. As usual, the unarmed masses were huddled three deep, gawking. As I slithered my way up to the 1911 case, I came within ear shot of the conversation between a shopper, and the salesman. There was no gun out at the time, so I don't know what model they had been looking at, but I heard the shopper say, "That was a little too much $$." The salesman, I'll call him 'Don', said "I don't work on commission, so my job is to tell you the pros and cons of each model", then he added with a chuckle, "but I won't show you a Taurus, unless you ask". They BOTH laughed, as I mumbled and walked away.

Some of you may be familiar with my 6 page thread in the 24/7 forum that documents my 2 months, and four trips (and counting) to Miami to get my 24/7G2C45's trigger right. While frustrating, I've repeatedly said that I still like the gun, and Taurus, and I'm sure I'll luv it when it's right. While I did stay away from Taurus years ago (I was a Ruger guy), I'm sorry I missed out on all those years I could've been shooting the PT92. I don't recall which magazine, but the G2 40 is on this month's cover, and got a very good review.

I'm not saying that Taurus doesn't have 'room for improvement', but GEEZ, Gimme a break. I guess it just gets me that the supposed experts can still be so biased. Attached is a couple of my 10 yard 5-shot groups with the 1911.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It's ok by me. Less folks demanding the product, the price stays down. *grin*

Sarge

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
There's a lot of people that need a reason to justify spending a lot of money on what is basically a commodity item and that derive part of their self-worth from doing so.

The same phenomenon is responsible for the continued popularity of overpriced German cars with statistically proven reliability issues. ;)

Shoot what works for you and talk about it, and if the 24/7 has issues don't be shy about them either. If you don't call it out, they can't make it right. If they make it right, then that's worth something too, right?

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
It's a rare thing to find hired help at a gun shop that are truly experts in firearms. Most are just guys that need a job, and while they may know a little bit about guns, they mostly just regurgitate the things they read on the Internet or hear one of their co workers say. It's "gun talk" and that's good enough to pass, especially if it helps them sell a gun. I'm not saying that you can't find knowledgeable experts in your local gun shop, but when you hear them spewing that kind of crap you can bet your bottom dollar they are not. Think about it ............. why would the store even bother to sell them if they were so bad? How could Taurus stay in business all over the world if their guns are so bad? The store owner sells them because he makes a profit selling them. The manufacturer stays in business because they make a decent product that is a good value purchase. I"m betting that both the shop owner and the manufacturer are a whole lot more knowledgeable than the dope behind the counter at Cabela's. What's worse is that when the dope says things like that he usually ends up watching the customer walk out of the store with his money still in his pocket. Everybody loses when that happens. Cabela's would be better off transferring that guy to the ladies clothing department. Most women will just ignore him!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It's a rare thing to find hired help at a gun shop that are truly experts in firearms. Most are just guys that need a job, and while they may know a little bit about guns, they mostly just regurgitate the things they read on the Internet or hear one of their co workers say. It's "gun talk" and that's good enough to pass, especially if it helps them sell a gun. I'm not saying that you can't find knowledgeable experts in your local gun shop, but when you hear them spewing that kind of crap you can bet your bottom dollar they are not. Think about it ............. why would the store even bother to sell them if they were so bad? How could Taurus stay in business all over the world if their guns are so bad? The store owner sells them because he makes a profit selling them. The manufacturer stays in business because they make a decent product that is a good value purchase. I"m betting that both the shop owner and the manufacturer are a whole lot more knowledgeable than the dope behind the counter at Cabela's. What's worse is that when the dope says things like that he usually ends up watching the customer walk out of the store with his money still in his pocket. Everybody loses when that happens. Cabela's would be better off transferring that guy to the ladies clothing department. Most women will just ignore him!
Very well said Sir!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Those who do not know the truth do not understand what they are missing. Let them keep the price affordable for us that do.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Those who do not know the truth do not understand what they are missing. Let them keep the price affordable for us that do.
I quite agree with you, friend. :guns:

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
My NIB PT1911 put a Colt and a Kimber to shame and even the guys that owned them shot my gun and agreed that it was well made. The range is the best place to show your stuff. I agree that Taurus drops the ball on many models but their bread and butter guns are real hard to beat. PT1911, the Judge, PT92, and the Pro series,800 series and 24/7 series are a good start. Not to mention Revolvers as I have one that shoots great and looks brand new and it was made in the 80's!!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
As good as the internet is at sharing information much of it is opinion and the loudest opinions are often the negative ones. So as long even one article, or blog, or forum post is out bashing Taurus they will have to overcome a bad rap. That said I have only run into one person in real life who has bashed Taurus and I think that this is a good sign.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've heard gun store sales staff tell me the same thing about Taurus. I'm not a gun snob and realize every manufacturer has had lemons. I own a Sundance Boa .25 (rim of fire gun) that shoots great and would never get rid it. Even if Taurus does not have a boutique gun reputation, the number of enthusiasts on this forum alone would make many new to firearms think otherwise.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When you bust the middle of a target out at the range, people notice. A Taurus..........just kicked your a$$. Stand by your Taurus....good song.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
If he works at a big box store gun counter, chances are he didn't have the IQ to make the big money or perhaps the SAT scores to get an education. :rolleyes: That's probably changing what with everyone's unemployment running out. Bummer. But, hey, sometimes even 99 weeks ain't enough. So, maybe some gun counter salesmen will acually HAVE an IQ now days....SOME.

·
Super Moderator
34,952 Posts
BTW, would you like fries with that? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts