Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus has had my PT111SSP12 for over 8 weeks now. :mad: It was sent in for repair on a defective magazine release. This is not a major repair under any standard. My research indicates this type of repair is quite common in the Mil Pro series. I don't mean all Mil Pro's have this issue, I just mean that when a Mil Pro is in need of repair, this is often the issue.

What in the hell is taking so long? ???

If you've sent your pistol in to Taurus, how long did it take from the time it left your hands, until the time you picked it reached your FFL?

Lifetime Warranty or not -- this is BS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine will have been gone a month come Monday.

My PT-145 has been away at repair now longer than I had it to begin with.

Sure hope everything's resolved when it's returned. . .

·
32,585 Posts
Being a gadfly can pay dividends at times. I"d call them every few days or weekly just to check up on progress and tactfully inquire as to what's going on and the status. A local gun store owner here was surprised when I told him Taurus had no e-mail address for customers or others to use. And he's the local Taurus dealer. It might behoove all us Taurus owners to send short letters, post cards, and telephone calls to Taurus and express good reasons why they should go to e-mail. I've been in contact with Customer Service for other related Taurus issues lately and theyhave been most helpful and went out of their way to help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd heard a number of people claim an 8 week turnaround time. So I wasn't going to place a call until I had crossed that point. I thought I would either get a surprise and receive my pistol before I expected it, or I'd have waited long enough to warrant the call.

I called Taurus a few minutes ago. This was my first call since dropping my pistol off for shipping at Gander Mountain on 01/05/07. Taurus claimed they did not receive the pistol until 02/06/07.

I called Gander Mountain only to find out that I dropped the pistol off during their "busy inventory period." The gunsmith claimed that until all shipping/receiving associated with getting the inventory straight is complete, they do not send out pistols for repair.

In fact he said "we can't send anything until this is all completed". I asked if he meant they WON'T send anything out during this period, or if they really CAN'T -- as in they're unable. He confirmed they can, but they won't.

I can still remember shaking the guys hand at Gander, thanking him for helping me with shipping, and him saying, "we'll get this out right away for you, sir!". Yeah. Right.

I explained it would have been nice to find this out when I dropped off the pistol. A simple -- Hey pal, we really won't be able to ship this for you for about 4 weeks, do you still want us to handle this transaction for you? -- would have been real nice.

So Taurus has only had my pistol 4 out of the 8 weeks it's been gone. Gander Mountain has had it the remaining 4 weeks.

The guy at Taurus said it was going to be at least another two weeks before my pistol would be shipped. That puts me at about 6 weeks.

Oh well, I supposed Taurus isn't really out of line as compared to the service others are receiving on this board. It looks like at this point Gander Mountain is the only one who needs a lesson on communicating with the customer.

·
32,585 Posts
Trip20. Very good post. Thought things were a little screwball when you said it was gone that long and no word. Gander being a big name store might be a problem. Never had that happen with a trustworthy local store, but then they some times can be hard to find or get to. Am in your neck of the woods. Did have items come in at local stores including theirs and it took a few weeks to be notified. Were you at the awards presentation and dinner for a informal bullseye group in the last month or so? Fletcher's has a Monday night league.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Qwiks draw said:
Were you at the awards presentation and dinner for a informal bullseye group in the last month or so? Fletcher's has a Monday night league.
I live in Wausau. Your location indicates S.E. Wisconsin -- that isn't by chance the Milwaukee area, is it? I'm unfamiliar with Fletcher's and any bullseye group. There isn't much for clubs/groups up here unless you talk trap clubs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sent my PT1911 back to them for the "firing pin hole problem". Three weeks later got a new gun by FedEx. I'd say that was great customer service. YMMV

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seeing as how the PT1911 is/was fairly new to the market, it makes sense that they were handling problems with this model in a different fashion than other run-of-the-mill issues with other models.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They had my M941 for about 8 weeks. They did an admirable job of fixing the problem at no charge to me, so I don't have too many negative thoughts about how long it took.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Why did you have Gander ship it back when you could have simply dropped if off at FedEx and Taurus would have had it the next day?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MPanova said:
Why did you have Gander ship it back when you could have simply dropped if off at FedEx and Taurus would have had it the next day?
Dropping a pistol off at FedEx means I'll be shelling out cash for shipping, whereas dropping it off at Gander Mountain means they took care of the shipping charges.

I thought it an economically sound idea to take advantage of Gander Mountain's firearms purchase policy, which gives you some sort of 12-month warranty.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ya now you have to decide if saving a little bit of cash was worth waiting an extra month lol I don't blame you for letting them pick up the shipping tab, It would have been nice if they would have let you know about the wait though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got other pistols to enjoy while the PT111 is away, so saving on shipping was definitely worth it. But like you said, it would have been nice to know about the extra 4-week wait time.

The funny thing is when I get it back I intend to sell it. Proceeds to go towards the purchase of an HK P2000SK. Well, at least that's the plan this minute. ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the pistol back today. Magazine release seems fixed. They didn't replace the magazine I lost in the woods as a result of the malfunctioning mag release. That kinda chapped my hide.

Took 7.29 weeks for my pistol to return to me from the date it arrived at Taurus' door.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still don't have my PT-145 returned from Taurus. (It would not feed JHPs.)

Had my gun shop send it in Feb. 12. Checked with the shop last week. Taurus claims to have not received the gun until March 10 . . . though the shop assures me the sent it in within a couple of day of my bringing it to them (and we are in Florida).

Taurus told them to expect it around April 10. Now that would be a 4 week turn around if they really got it on March 10 and most folks seem to be experiencing at least 6 weeks . . . so I question Taurus' claim to have not received the gun until March 10. I can understand being overwhelmed with work . . . I just hope that the folks at Taurus have no resorted to manufacturing excuses as well.

I had been considering a PT1911 . . . but this experience has at least temporarily soured my impression of Taurus. While I was in the shop I purchased an Armscor (Rock Island) FS Enhanced that has everything the PT1911 has and more. I already have a Rock Island CS (Officer's Model) and I've been well pleased with it. Beyond that I know they have excellent customer support having experienced it myself.

I'm still considering a PT92 . . . but will wait and see how things turn out with my PT145. This was my first Taurus and hope that it will not be my last.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you look back you will find out the individual who started this post was informed his pistol was shipped that day. That is until he called them back after Taurus told him that they did not get the pistol until much later. My advice is call taurus and ask to arrange pickup at fedex if you ever need service again, though I doubt you will need it. I have not found one that wouldn't feed perfect and I have had several in my hands and have owned 3 myself. Good luck when yours returns. You will be happy with their customer support. Even 10 week turnaround would be good. Try sending in a Springfield some time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.