Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about this new hammer i got. I have to drive the spent cases out of my new raging bull everytime I shoot it. Not one round will come out without driving it out! Any suggestions? This has realy been a pain! It's not realy a problem when hunting but drives me out of my mind @ the range. I also want to upgrade to a fiber optic sight on this thing. There is little to no information floating around the web on this. Any input that you all could shed would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hammer454

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The cases should not stick. I have a Raging Bull 454 and a custom 454 single action. Have shot many different 454's over the years. When the cylinder chambers are right the cases eject easy even with heavy loads. Mine fall out with just finger pressure on the ejector. Call Taurus and send it back, usually the chamber walls are parallel, rough and larger between case mouth and rim. Polishing enlarges the chamber even more, look at wall thickness and remember that the 454 runs over 50,000 psi chamber pressure.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Undersize would be too tight to load round. Match target grade chambers are cut for a tight fit but just over the size of the loaded case. Straight wall cases require parallel chamber walls with usually a very slightly tapered cut from rim to case mouth/ throat of chamber. Stuck cases happen when chamber is enlarged ahead of the rim and or rough. On firing the case expands and seals chamber. As pressure drops the case shrinks some but not to original dimensions. When the chamber is cut right the case is easy to remove. A chamber that is enlarged is difficult to remove a case from because the case is larger than the chamber mouth. Enlarged chambers are often rough from reamer chatter or a dull reamer catching metal as it cuts. In effort to save the chamber they are honed to remove the rough areas. This causes the chamber to be enlarged more and really makes it worse. Reloaders will often find over size cases require more effort to resize and shorter case life. It is sometimes possible to hone or cut the chambers back to parallel. As thin as chamber walls are on revolvers and as high as chamber pressure runs on 454's and some other rounds I want full wall thickness. Also the tighter chambers almost always produce better groups when barrel chamber alignment is right. Combined correct chamber, throats, forcing cone and alignment with a good barrel and crown equals an accurate smooth shooting gun. Cases eject easy and case life is good. The life if the revolver is better because the cases are not having to be removed by force. This is not a problem with just Taurus. All the major companies have shipped guns this way. Myself and most serious shooters will not accept and keep one with one or more bad chambers.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Sir, some of the first Ruger Redhawks in 454 were so bad the cases had to be driven out one at a time. Over the years I have owned and shot revolvers and other guns of a multitude of calibers with bad chambers. Depending on the problem with the chamber, some of the lower pressure rounds are forgiving of polishing and truing of chamber walls. With the 454 chamber pressure runs well over 50,000 psi. Bolt action rifles with a massive lockup system and thick barrels run the pressure of 454's. Think about the cylinder holding 5 rounds in a Raging Bull is not much larger than a super mag bolt gun barrel that only holds one round. The cylinder also has bolt cuts for the cylinder bolt that locks it in place. When the 454 was developed it was the bumble bee of handguns. Bumble bees can't fly in the world of human design. With a lot of work trying different steel and heat treating he came up with a cylinder that held. The first 454 loads were triplex and hotter than anything on the market now. The plain Jane Freedom Arms revolver was punishment to shoot. As a friend said, " I had to shoot it again, just couldn't believe it kicked that hard." It could take hide off knuckles. Enough of my rambling. Once it is right the hulls are not hard to eject. The Bull is fun to shoot. They are great hunting guns and much easier to carry than the Smith X frame guns. Reloading makes it affordable.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I did not see this mentioned, the cylinders must be free of all lube oil, they must be bone dry, if not, the fired brass will stick and stick hard. I had this problem with my 44SS8, due to my lack of understanding. Once I kept the cylinder dry and clean, no more problems. It could be as simple as this, but then it may not.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Is it a brand new gun or used? My used 454 had been shot w long colts and built up a residue ring that trapped casull shells after firing. took a LOT of cleaning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts