Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have or familiar with the Taurus PT92? Took the PT92 to the gun range a few days ago , was purchased in Novemer 2018 and first time shooting it.. had problems with the empty shell casings not ejecting every 3-4 rds., and would cause a jam resulting in having to release mag and clear the weapon and start over.. also while shooting, could feel some powder blow back on my face (yes i did have safety glasses on and ear plugs and earmuffs for eye and ear protection) i was using Remington 9mm Luger bullets -115 grain..Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced same issues, or offer advice..

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
My recommendations are pretty general, but they usually work out well in the end.

1. Clean every nook and cranny of the gun. I know that they may have cleaned the surface pretty well, but that preservative can wedge in tight spaces like the extractor, firing pin channel, locking block, and even inside the magazines. Disassemble whatever you can easily, and don't be afraid to let them soak in your cleaner of choice.

2. Wrack the slide a couple dozen times, sometimes the recoil spring is tight and needs to be relaxed slightly. It may annoy the significant other if they're in the same room, but it can't really hurt anything to do it.

3. Try a different brand of ammunition. Personally, I have very few problems with Remington ammunition but 115 gr. is slightly under weight of the recommended 124 gr. ammo. In a broken in gun, 115 will run fine, but basically a new tight gun it may have short strokes giving you your jam issues.

4. In the odd likelihood that it may be happening, try to avoid limp wristing the gun. Let the recoil lift your forearm, not your hands at the wrist.

Hopefully those tips, will get you on the right path to enjoying your 92. It's a great gun, and can be an absolute pleasure to take to the range.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My PT92 has been flawless for 3000+ rounds. I only shoot 124gr Speer Lawman, TMJ & Golddot. I second the deep cleaning and lubing suggestion.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
pretty, much agree with the other post.
taurus is infamous for that preservtive they put in thier weapons that come from Brazil.
as the weapon has been sitting for awhile and you don't list the actual manufacture date that good old preservative may have by now turned a nice crusty hard brown.
clean well and lubricate and see if it doesn't run better for you.
the 124 grain NATO power is an excellent ammo to break a new 92/99 in on by the way, made by several companies, look for the NATO stamp on the box/ammo head stamp.

·
Registered
694 Posts
+1 on cleaning and also consider cleaning or switching magazines. I have mostly Mec Gar mags for my PT 92. Mine does not seem to be picky about ammo.

My PT 92 has been rock solid with zero FTF to FTE. I replaced the hard factory plastic grip panels with softer Pachmayr grips. Feels great in my hand however the pistol in general is actually a little too big for my size medium hands so I don't shoot it very often.

I would love to have a Beretta 92 but I am afraid I would have the same size problem since the PT 92 is a clone of the Beretta 92.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I run 115 grain factory and reloads all day long. I will +2 Montkun on cleaning and possible ammunition issues I can not side with 124 grains based on my experience, Now does that mean it is wrong NO.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've run mostly 115gr thru my PT92, brass and steel cased. No issues with the pistol. I remember having some feed issues early on, but once I used Mecgar mags, no more issues. Haven't really touched the factory mags since.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I may have given the wrong impression of 115 gr. ammunition in my first post, I use it all the time at the range. But my 7 year old 92 is well broken in with enough rounds downrange that I stopped counting years ago. In the OP's situation, it's a 'factory fresh' gun that's still tight. A few boxes of mid weight 9mm (124 gr.) would do well to loosen up the gun, especially if you can pick up some NATO rounds for a good price.

In my Hi-Point 995, I like using 147 gr. rounds most often. That long barrel really helps that heavy slug hit hard at 100 yards.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The Taurus PT-92 began as a license built Beretta 92 under contract for the Brazilian Military. It, like the Beretta 92 was designed around NATO ammo. The NATO standard is essentially, under SAMMI standards, a plus P loading of the 9mm using a 124 grain FMJ bullet. If your PT-92 is like mine, it will shoot tighter groups with NATO standard ammo. Winchester has a line of 124 grain FMJ 9mm ammo that has a broad gray banner across the box that says "NATO" and under that is "Made in USA". Several other manufacturers will have ammo that is also marked NATO. The headstamp marking for NATO ammo is a circle around a cross.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Near clone, not a clone. I have half a dozen Beretta variants. You will have no problems with any of them. The M9a3 is one of the best available. If you decide to jump on one, I recommend it. And prices on that model are dropping.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
PT-92 was never a "clone" of the Beretta 92, it was a Beretta 92 as the Beretta design stood when it was manufactured for the Brazilian military. After Taurus bought the tooling from Beretta, the designs began to diverge. In some ways I prefer the PT-92 as the safety is on the frame, rather than on the slide. But the designs began to diverge over 30 years ago. But those early PT-92 pistols were not Beretta clones, they were Beretta pistols made by Beretta trained workers on Beretta machines and tooling.

If you look at the Taurus revolvers, it is much the same. At one time Taurus was part of the same conglomerate that owned S&W. Taurus began to produce a S&W designed revolver and for a while it was, in fact, called an "Improved S&W design". Since divestment, Taurus has departed in many ways from the original S&W design, as have S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a PT92. It's a giant full size duty pistol. The 115 grain doesn't have enough explosive powder to cycle the slide correctly. Shoot 124 grain or 147 grain and see if you can duplicate the problem.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,245 Posts
I have a PT92. It's a giant full size duty pistol. The 115 grain doesn't have enough explosive powder to cycle the slide correctly. Shoot 124 grain or 147 grain and see if you can duplicate the problem.
My PT 99, respectfully disagrees, which is why I carry it daily.

Your Milage May Very

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Your PT-92 is designed around the NATO standard 9mm which is a 124 grain FMJ pushed to +P load pressure. NATO rounds will give you the best accuracy and function in the PT-92.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
My PT 99, respectfully disagrees, which is why I carry it daily.

Your Milage May Very
MY-MY-MY.
mine (model 99) so far has ran on about every 9 MM ammo that I have been able to try, that includes down to a 92 grain ammo that I use as a defensive round all the way up to a 150 grain reload.
doesn't matter if its a flat nose. round nose, hollow point etc.
it runs and shoots as well as any Beretta that I have handled, I just wish that I had the same luck with the rest of my Taurus offspring.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where did you come up with this? This is completely bogus information.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts