Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there is already a forum on here pertaining to this, but I have just put on layaway a brand new Taurus PT809SS and I already ordered a NcSTAR green laser and a holster, and 100 rounds of PPU bullets. I hope it is a good gun, kinda got carried away while at the gun shop and couldn't find the 24/7 9mm I went out there for(turns out they were sold out anyways) found this beauty and walked up to the counter with it and put it on layaway.. Anyone have any comments or suggestions with this gun, I am already looking into some fiber optic sights thanks to the help of armaturbatyr
Thanks armaturbatyr!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the board. Nope you made no mistake there, well except you only bought 100 rounds of ammo! ;)

Lots of good info here but you'll find more of it on the Model specific pages, check out PT92 and Others that is where we 809 owners are currently housed.

We're working on getting our own little corner.... :rolleyes:

Enjoy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings and welcome to the board. Nope you made no mistake there, well except you only bought 100 rounds of ammo! ;)

Lots of good info here but you'll find more of it on the Model specific pages, check out PT92 and Others that is where we 809 owners are currently housed.

We're working on getting our own little corner.... :rolleyes:

Enjoy
Thanks man I'm glad to hear i made no mistake.. Also yeah I know pretty low qty bullets. and I didn't kow of PPU and if they were any good so I thought I didn't wanna buy a bunch and they turn out sucking. And is there any way to push this thread over into that forum section?

·
Registered
832 Posts
One of the mods might do it, but I'd just post your question over there, no harm no foul.

Also, I can understand your apprehension on buying a lot of one kind of ammo, I'm having issues with Tula steel case and a Sig P238 but I've run boxes and boxes of PPU through both my Taurus with out a single FTF/FTE/Fail to do anything!

When it comes in just do a good cleaning to make sure you get all the packing gunk out of it and it'll be your go to gun.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I love my 809! You definatly didn't make a mistake with it. But 100 rounds of ammo isnt going to last you very long with two 17 round mags. Im thinking probably 30 min at the most, maybe an hour if your new to handguns.

Definatly make sure you clean the crap out of it before you even think about firing it though. Taurus has to pack in alot of grease for the journey from South America and if you dont get that gunk out it can casue some FTFs and FTEs. Bare minimum is to field strip and clean out the slide rails really good and use a good oil or grease on them and to run a few patches through the barrel with some cleaner. I reccomend getting a can of CLP gun scrubber and spraying a few small bursts down into the trigger assembly untill it runs out clear(just make sure you by the synthetic safe kind).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the mods might do it, but I'd just post your question over there, no harm no foul.

Also, I can understand your apprehension on buying a lot of one kind of ammo, I'm having issues with Tula steel case and a Sig P238 but I've run boxes and boxes of PPU through both my Taurus with out a single FTF/FTE/Fail to do anything!

When it comes in just do a good cleaning to make sure you get all the packing gunk out of it and it'll be your go to gun.

Enjoy
Thanks! I can't wait to have it in my hands. I use Tula in my AK47 and SKS with not a single problem, but I have heard bad about 9mm and 45cal. bullets from tula.. And Thanks for the info on those bullets I might go back and buy some more if you had no problems.. Thats awesome.. Thanks for the info about cleaning the gunk out of it I didnt know if I should shoot it then clean it or clean it then shoot it for first time then clean again lol. But I'll clean it as soon as i get it home now.. THANKS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my 809! You definatly didn't make a mistake with it. But 100 rounds of ammo isnt going to last you very long with two 17 round mags. Im thinking probably 30 min at the most, maybe an hour if your new to handguns.

Definatly make sure you clean the crap out of it before you even think about firing it though. Taurus has to pack in alot of grease for the journey from South America and if you dont get that gunk out it can casue some FTFs and FTEs. Bare minimum is to field strip and clean out the slide rails really good and use a good oil or grease on them and to run a few patches through the barrel with some cleaner. I reccomend getting a can of CLP gun scrubber and spraying a few small bursts down into the trigger assembly untill it runs out clear(just make sure you by the synthetic safe kind).
As I said to NCSmokey, thanks for the heads-up on cleaning that gunk out of there before firing.. I'll do that first thing.. and thanks for the head up on the gun scrubber synthetic type. I was gonna spray my dads scrubber he uses on his fully stainless 45 but I dont think I will do that now haha. Any suggestions on what oil to use on this gun?? I have Rem-Oil but is there any other reccomendations?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase. You will really like the PT809 when you get her all broke in. My first 809 had a lot of ejection issues, Taurus replaced it and the new one shoots like a dream. I would suggest that you start out shooting with a 124 grain rounds. The recoil spring is very stiff to start out. My replacement 809 didn't like 115 grain until it was well broke in. I now have just over a 1,000 rounds down the pipe. Happy Shooting and enjoy the new piece. :)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congrats on the new piece! I have an 809, and I absolutely love the platform. I would like to get an 845 at some point.
You have already heard the advice I would give (clean 'er up!), so not going to beat that horse any more.
Just get out and enjoy it!

Reactions: TrailseekingTB

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the matter of properly cleaning the gun has been stressed well enough. With the first few magazines ran through my new PT809, I had a few FTE. But I believe I had a limp wristing issue.

This past Saturday I shot 50 rounds of PPU 115 gr FMJ without one single issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've shot three boxes of tula ammo from my pt845 w/o any problems. No problems so far.

Thanks! I can't wait to have it in my hands. I use Tula in my AK47 and SKS with not a single problem, but I have heard bad about 9mm and 45cal. bullets from tula.. And Thanks for the info on those bullets I might go back and buy some more if you had no problems.. Thats awesome.. Thanks for the info about cleaning the gunk out of it I didnt know if I should shoot it then clean it or clean it then shoot it for first time then clean again lol. But I'll clean it as soon as i get it home now.. THANKS!

·
Registered
694 Posts
+1 on the 124 gr. I think my 809 runs better with 124's than with 115's. I even run some 145 gr through it occasionally. I like mine, but I've had some issues with it pelting me in the face with spent brass. I sent it back twice. Once they replaced the slide, second trip they replaced the whole gun. I'm not saying this to frighten anyone; my experience with Taurus has been GREAT! But I am curious to hear if you get hit by any casings during your range trip. Despite that annoying issue, I still love this gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone I'm so glad I got this gun, was origionally gonna get the 24/7 but I wanted a gun with a exterior hammer so I'm glad I found this one.. Thanks again everyone.. Now I'm trying to think of some way to hurry up and get my gun off layaway LOL can't wait I think about it most of the day at work lol(not in a bad way honestly. I do hate my job but just to get that out of the water... not meant to be takin wrong lol) Thinking about some stuff I can sell now.. haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
+1 on the 124 gr. I think my 809 runs better with 124's than with 115's. I even run some 145 gr through it occasionally. I like mine, but I've had some issues with it pelting me in the face with spent brass. I sent it back twice. Once they replaced the slide, second trip they replaced the whole gun. I'm not saying this to frighten anyone; my experience with Taurus has been GREAT! But I am curious to hear if you get hit by any casings during your range trip. Despite that annoying issue, I still love this gun.
That is one of the things I have noticed in some youtube videos.. They shells sometimes go straight up and sometimes up and back towards the shooter.. But I'm glad to hear Taurus' customer service is nice and helpful. Thanks about the grain warning.. Gonna have to take a trip out to Whittakers and get some better grain bullets, one of my work places (not meantioning names hrrkk hmmm walmart errr hkk) didn't have but 10 boxes of the 114 grains.. Any bullet brands to break it in.. Im a winchester fan but I hate the price of them lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've shot three boxes of tula ammo from my pt845 w/o any problems. No problems so far.
Thanks I'll make sure to tell people that when I'm at work in Sporting goods. I was wanting the 845 but I didn't wanna burn a major hole in my wallet by running 5 boxes through it haha still want another 45 tho for sure..

·
Registered
694 Posts
No "warning" on bullet weights, per se... I think we're just recommending that you trying a variety to see what works best for you and your 809. After all, experimenting is the fun part!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
As I said to NCSmokey, thanks for the heads-up on cleaning that gunk out of there before firing.. I'll do that first thing.. and thanks for the head up on the gun scrubber synthetic type. I was gonna spray my dads scrubber he uses on his fully stainless 45 but I dont think I will do that now haha. Any suggestions on what oil to use on this gun?? I have Rem-Oil but is there any other reccomendations?
The gunscrubber synthetic is dsigned to be safe for polymer frames and other plastic parts. just check the can to make sure you have the right one.
As far as oil reccomendations you will find that people will swear by something that others will swear to never use . everyone has a personal preference in oils and some use grease instead of oil. if your dad has something that he uses and it works for him you will probably be just fine with that.

·
33,639 Posts
The older owner manuals used to have the bullet weight and velocity guideline for each caliber. That was stopped in the newer ones. However those were guidelines only. Good ones,but still just guidelines. for 9x19 the bullet weight listed was 124gr. at 1225 feet per second. If a person were to stick to that for 115gr. projectiles, give or take a few feet per second either way, then one cannot go wrong.

There are a couple of nifty +P 147gr. rounds out there, but I've seen those for LEO use only. Not that police ammo only doesn't make it into the civilian market and are legal to own. It does.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Congrats on your new 809. I liked my blued 809 so much that after 1000 trouble-free rounds, I picked up the 840, the 845, and now an SS 809. For lube, I really like to use grease on the frame rails and barrel, and a few drops of oil in the trigger group. I have had good luck with Slide Glide. Also, you mentioned wanting a fiber optic front sight and I have had good luck with HiViz front sights. I have the red and green sights, but prefer the green as I think it picks up the light and glows better. Good luck and let us know how it works for you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.