Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all: the credit goes to the gentleman, who originally posted the solution in the thread below. The solution is for PT145 and PT640, but may be used for PT809 and PT845 as well. I've spent some time researching what fiber optic sights will fit my PT809 and after reading some threads on the forum, I finally found the solution. I visited and revisited many forums and web sites in order to find what sights are designed for PT809 and found none. I found a good thread on this forum. Here it is:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/64132-williams-firesights-vs-hi-viz-pt145-milpro-pt640.html
As the gentleman in the thread suggested, I bought Williams Firesights #70969 and because the front sight is very tall (you may see pictures in the posted thread), I've bought HIVIZ TR2009 (with recommentadion of the same gentleman) and installed both of them (back sight from Williams and front from HIVIZ). The PT809 looks awesome, has low profile sights in comparison to the stock ones and have a clearer picture which will sure help with aiming as dots are smaller and front sight is thinner. I've not taken the gun to the range yet, but decided to post some pictures of PT809 along with my stock PT845, which is essentially the same gun, but in different caliber. If there are other topics like this, I apologize for posting another one. I did not want to pollute the forum, but decided to provide information on availability of fiber optic sights for Taurus PT809. The above solution is the same for PT845 as the stock sight are the same. PM if have any questions.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
My guess is that this handgun's going to shoot really, really high.

I have the Hi-Viz front sight and the stocker rear, which is markedly lower than the aftermarket sight... and the gun is shooting like 9" + high. With the rear sight you've added, it will probably shoot much, much higher.

Have you shot it yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good evening. Thank you for your insight. By simply looking at the sights this is what I'm afraid of. The stock gun has lower rear and higher front sights while my solution has just the opposite. I have a Williams front sight as a back up and if this setup is not going to work, I'll put the Williams front site. I plan to test it tomorrow and I'll let you know. Thank you for your comment.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Hey, armaturbatyr - can you measure the Williams front sight for me? I may buy it to replace the Hi-Viz which is too low at 0.190"

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking of that rear sight also. I went to my gunsmith and had the slide checked if we could remove some materials to lower the height with the adjustment screw. It was too thin and might damage the firing pin block. Another option we discussed was removing some material under the sights. Again it might damage the wind age screw if go into it. Last option with the adjustable rear was adding material to the front sight. Didn't go with this since I find the stock too high already. So he just made me one with the low profile I wanted and zeroed it for me. Set and forget hehe.

Changing the front sight To one with a taller post will do the trick. Other than that learn to shoot with a 6 o'clock sight picture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, armaturbatyr - can you measure the Williams front sight for me? I may buy it to replace the Hi-Viz which is too low at 0.190"
Good afternoon. As you stated earlier the gun was shooting high. I put Williams front sight, but had to elevate back sight a lot as well. So now the sights are sticking pretty high from the slide. One good thing is that now it shoots very accurate. I took measurements for you and I hope I did what you wanted. In order to avoid any confusion, I decided to draw a couple of lines on the sight's picture. So make the picture big and you will see. It is 0.35 in or 8.8 mm from slide to the top of the sight. From slide to the center of fiber optic dot it is 0.3 in or 7.6 mm. I also included the picture of the gun so anyone may see and decide if he/she likes it or not. I don't like the height, but it just me.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Good afternoon. As you stated earlier the gun was shooting high. I put Williams front sight, but had to elevate back sight a lot as well. So now the sights are sticking pretty high from the slide. One good thing is that now it shoots very accurate. I took measurements for you and I hope I did what you wanted. In order to avoid any confusion, I decided to draw a couple of lines on the sight's picture. So make the picture big and you will see. It is 0.35 in or 8.8 mm from slide to the top of the sight. From slide to the center of fiber optic dot it is 0.3 in or 7.6 mm. I also included the picture of the gun so anyone may see and decide if he/she likes it or not. I don't like the height, but it just me.
WOW that is miles high. Thanks, amigo. The Williams front sight will definitely NOT work with the stocker rear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yikes! That IS high! Wonder how the draw feel with that thing raking the holster lol. At least it shoots accurate now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes! That IS high! Wonder how the draw feel with that thing raking the holster lol. At least it shoots accurate now.
Good evening. My holster is Blackhawk serpa and the pt809 fits just right with this huge sight on. Not sure about others. I planned to use the holster with the gun and if the sight didn't fit, I wouldn't use it, but the gun fits in the holster just right, surprisingly. The blackhawk serpa is very comfortable holster by the way. It's very easy to draw the gun quickly and it holds the gun perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Night and fiber optic sights

I have read the posts after joining the forum. I have the pt 809 in the stainless I love the gun, my only issue is that I'm blue/green color blind so looking at the night sights the front and rear are grey looking to me. Though my wife tells me they are green. Same with the fiber optics, currently in using some sight paint with the rear in bright orange and the front yellow. Is there night or fiber sights I can get that I would be able to see?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Being a newer model, the options may still be limited, but any should be an improvement for you. The primary color options I've seen are red, yellow and green. Regardless of color, the Tritum or fiber optics will be brighter than stock. Some Hi Viz front models have six different colored fibers, so you might find a front rear combo that works better for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, thank you for the ideas on where to look. Once I'm able to find the sights in looking for I'll post a picture of them. It took me few months to find a retention holster for it but I found one made by itac defense

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the PT840 And I installed the HighViz Front Sight(TR2009-R ) on it, it needed to be filed down a little. but it fits nice and snugg. afterwards I used my bore laser sight, and it seems that with the stock rears it is positioned for 6 o'clock aim. To me that is perfect(stock was shooting low right). I just put it on last night so I still need to go shoot it, I will keep you updated! 20121017_073729-1[1].jpg 20121017_073717-1[1].jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Range Report: Ok so After receiving it back Taurus. Loaded Up with Federal 180 grain FMJ. First shot at 7 yards I didnt even hit the target, second shot, same, Third, well I gave up after third. Moved the target closer about 4 yards. I aim and shoot and its hitting way right. I thought to myself there is no way I was this bad of a shot, so I picked up my Springfield XDM .40 and had a five shot grouping no more that 2" at 7 yards and on bullseye. I was very dissapointed in the taurus. I took a few more shots with the taurus to see if the jamming and misfiring had been fixed, Which it had been. So it was not a total loss. When I got home I decided I wanted to see if I could adjust it a bit more before selling it. I moved the front sight to the right a little more, and noticed that the rear sight was far right. So I think this might have been contributing to it. So I realigned and am waiting to test fire again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So the HVZ TR2009 will fit the PT 845 model, also which direction does the stock front sight come out and which direction did the HVZ TR2009 go in? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts