Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take my PT740 out to the range today.

With me, I took along 20 rounds of 165gr Gold Dot, 20 rounds of 180gr Gold Dot, 20 rounds of 165gr Critical Defense, 20 rounds of 180gr HST, and 50 rounds of some WWB 180gr.

Started out with the WWB 180's to break the gun in. At first, I was all over the place. Mostly low left. Then, I did some dry-firing, and realized I was dipping the front sight just before the 'bang', trying to compensate for the recoil. Once I realized that hey, it's a .40, it's going to recoil and I can't fight it, and just let it do it's thing, groups tightened up to about 3-4" at 7 yards. By the end of the box of WWB, I was getting 3" groups consistently.

Figured ok, gun's broken in, and I'm used to it, let's step up to the real stuff. All the 165gr ammo was really accurate, but MAN it had ferocious kick, at least to me. I much preferred shooting the 180gr loads. The 180 Gold Dots and HST were also really accurate, and didn't sting the hand as much. Got about 3" groups at 10 yards with them, which for me, is very good. I also did 27 rounds worth of "failure drills" with the 180gr Gold Dot and HST loads, and I was able to score a first shot COM hit, second shot so-so torso hit and third shot neck/face shot, for most of the reps that I did. I think I will probably add a CT laserguard at some point in the future, just to help increase my time to on target.

All in all, VERY happy with this gun as a CCW. Accurate, and reliable (so far). Recoil, honestly, was not as bad as I expected. Not pleasant, and the hand did sting and feel tired afterward, but not painful by any means, or uncontrollable.

I would happily recommend this to anyone in the need for a cheap, powerful, easily concealable CCW weapon. It's not much bigger than most 9mms, and packs a heck of a lot more punch. Taurus hit a homer with this one!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of what sounds like one fine PT740 Slim!

I have several Taurus handguns, but my PT740 is my main carry.

I'm with you...Taurus really did hit a "home run" with this series.;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, your posts were one of the main reasons I picked it up. Heh.
Plus, I feel good about having all my handguns in .40SW: now if SHTF, I can give my wife the XD40SC, take the PT740 (and Mossberg 500 with 100 rounds buckshot, heh), and give each of us 300 HST 180gr and 300 Ranger Bonded 180gr.

·
Banned
73 Posts
and Mossberg 500 with 100 rounds buckshot, heh)
Shotgun is probably the most effective home defense weapon, IMO, assuming you can take a defensive position. In recent home invasion (probably started out as robbery) here, 14 year-old boy defended self and 17 year-old sister with family 12 gauge:

http://kittrellcommunitywatch.dyndns.org/Teen_to_911

As a side note, the family refrigerator was also a casualty of the buckshot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts