Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have a question on the Taurus (as you might have see from the title)
I am looking at picking up a Taurus, but I am wondering 2 things.
(please read carefully as I am asking very similar questions.)
as I understand so far the pt709 and pt740 are almost exact.
so.......

1. is it possible to convert the Taurus PT709 to a 40 cal easily (i.e. replace barrel)

2. is it possible to convert the Taurus PT740 to a 9mm easily (i.e. replace barrel)

I have been looking at prices for both and seems the pt709 might be less expensive than the pt740.
I have heard about a glock 40 cal that has a 9mm barrel conversion but doesn't work with glock 9mm to 40 cal so I was wondering if this conversion was even possible and if one or both calibers is able to the conversion with minimal parts change.

·
Registered
17,264 Posts
Missouri welcome 01.jpg

I wouldn't. You might run into problems with the difference in the size of the cartridge base and the extractor. I converted a PT92 to 40 cal by replacing the entire slide/barrel/locking block/recoil spring and guide rod assembly with one from a PT100. I know the PT100 slide was made from thicker material and I'd suspect the PT740 would be more rugged than the PT709, just for liability sake.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
Hello Everyone,
1. is it possible to convert the Taurus PT709 to a 40 cal easily (i.e. replace barrel)
No, as there are too many differences in the Slide Boltface and the Frame Magazine Well.

Hello Everyone,
2. is it possible to convert the Taurus PT740 to a 9mm easily (i.e. replace barrel)
This is more doable, but again there are too many differences in the Slide Boltface and Frame Magazine Well.
Also, the conversion parts would cost you more than another whole Pistol, so the Conversion process makes no $en$e.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Everyone,
thank you for your wisdom!
I was hoping at least the PT740 could be converter to 9mm with just a barrel swap!
guess I am stuck getting the 9mm

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Everyone,
thank you for your wisdom!
I was hoping at least the PT740 could be converter to 9mm with just a barrel swap!
guess I am stuck getting the 9mm
If you can wait six months to a year, Taurus is improving the 9mm, like they did then.380, when introducing the Spectrum and slowly eliminating the 738. The 709 (rumored) will be the next to see changes.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
If you can wait six months to a year, Taurus is improving the 9mm, like they did then.380, when introducing the Spectrum and slowly eliminating the 738. The 709 (rumored) will be the next to see changes.
That's too bad. I like it the way it is. Glad I have the one I have.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
That's too bad. I like it the way it is. Glad I have the one I have.
That being the case, I probably should go ahead and get the second 740!!

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 7 of 7 Posts