Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks
My new PT638 arrived today. I cleaned it good with gun scrubber and got it lubed up. Love the feel of this thing and it seems to fit me good. I do have one question though. I was under the impression these were double action single action with second strke capability. Is this correct? If they are then mine isn't working correctly. The trigger seems to work in single action mode only. That is, if I manually cock the slide and dry fire it the striker falls but you then have to work the slide again to cock it.
Clay

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I do not have the PT638 so I'm not very sure. If it's like the MilPro G1 and 24/7 G1 pistols except the CA versions, the trigger should be SA unless you have a misfire then the trigger will switch to DA for the 2nd strike then it will return to SA after it successfully fires the misfired round. The term SA/DA is not correct, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
In Taurus, the DA refers to the double strike only. It should operate as single action striker fired pistol, unless you have a misfire. Then, and only then, does it operate as a DA. I have one...

I'm not sure Taurus actually refers to these as DA/SA. But many websites sort of assume they are and list them that way out of confusion.

I hope you're OK with that, it's a great little pistol.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
On the 24/7 G2 pistols, the term DA/SA used to describe the trigger is perfectly correct as these pistols will fire the 1st round in DA and the rest in SA unless there is a misfire.

With the 2nd strike capability, you do not need to rack the slide to dry fire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what DAO is. I also know what SA only is. I have a 1911 SA. Tell me this. On your 638, if you rack the slide, dry fire it, then pull the trigger again, will it dry fire again double action? If it isn't intended to do that I don't have a problem with it. I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong.
In Taurus, the DA refers to the double strike only. It should operate as single action striker fired pistol, unless you have a misfire. Then, and only then, does it operate as a DA. I have one...

I'm not sure Taurus actually refers to these as DA/SA. But many websites sort of assume they are and list them that way out of confusion.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K.. I finally got it sorted out. Thanks for the help. My head was a little thick yesterday. There are some sites listing this as DA/SA. It is in fact single action only. I am fine with that as long as I know it is supposed to be that way. The trigger is a little stiff but after working it a little I will pull the works out of the frame and slick things up a little.
Thanks again everyone for all the help.
Clay

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
O.K.. I finally got it sorted out. Thanks for the help. My head was a little thick yesterday. There are some sites listing this as DA/SA. It is in fact single action only. I am fine with that as long as I know it is supposed to be that way. The trigger is a little stiff but after working it a little I will pull the works out of the frame and slick things up a little.
Thanks again everyone for all the help.
Clay
Sorry I didn't get back to the thread in time to clear it up. The PT638 tends to gag a little on the WWB with the flat point bullet, especially when new. Once mine was broken in it started working fine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't got to shoot it yet. We have a real ammo shortage here and no 380 to be found. I have dies and got some brass and Montana gold bullets on the way. That will give me something to do until some more snow melts ay my shooting spot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just ordered on line a Taurus PT638 Pro S/A. The S/A means it's single action only. I ordered it through Gander Mountain and it is supposed to be delivered to the store on 10/10. I have a few .380 pistols but am looking forward to one that has a 15-round magazine...

Mark

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I just ordered on line a Taurus PT638 Pro S/A. The S/A means it's single action only. I ordered it through Gander Mountain and it is supposed to be delivered to the store on 10/10. I have a few .380 pistols but am looking forward to one that has a 15-round magazine...

Mark
Taurus made 2 different PT638's, the SA like the one you just ordered from GM and the DA like the one being sold by Academy Sports & Outdoors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't mean to disagree but, I'm pretty sure these were only made in single action. I purchased mine because it was advertised as DA/SA and I thought it was malfunctioning when I first sat down with it. A call to Taurus confirmed that the PT638 SA (as pictured on the Acadamy site) was a single action only. Not just my 638 but all 638's as SA signifies. My wife didn't like having it in her bedstand "cocked and locked" so I parted with it and now have a G2 Mil Pro.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like I have to update my signature!:cool:

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I don't mean to disagree but, I'm pretty sure these were only made in single action. I purchased mine because it was advertised as DA/SA and I thought it was malfunctioning when I first sat down with it. A call to Taurus confirmed that the PT638 SA (as pictured on the Acadamy site) was a single action only. Not just my 638 but all 638's as SA signifies. My wife didn't like having it in her bedstand "cocked and locked" so I parted with it and now have a G2 Mil Pro.
Thanks for the info. The 24/7 G2 pistols with DA/SA seem to work better for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts