Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hunted this gun for a while for the wife and I have to say this ranks up there as one of the must have pistols for a woman. My wife so far has fired over 400 or so rounds through this pistol with no problems. It is deadly accurate, low recoil and follow up shots are just very easily duplicated. I have fired many pistols and this may be in the top 3 for a cw pistol. My wife loves it and so do I truth be known. My pt140 is great also but no way can I duplicate 5 to 7 shots in 1 to 2 sec increment with as much accuracy as this pistol. Also the 15+1 capacity really gives this gun pretty much the icing on the cake. Kudos to Taurus for making the 638. The wife and I love it. She has shelved her glock 26 in favor of this pistol.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Alright! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

I know how you both feel, because I feel the same way about my PT138 that I traded for over two years ago!

I gave it to my son last year for his home defense weapon and his wife really has become proficient with the pistol.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Welcome aboard, and Congrats on the shooter!! Glad to see another positive review of a Taurus, especially the 638. I've been looking at the 638, HARD, for some time now, but have absolutely no reason to get one. If you can, I have a couple questions... 1) Have you had any luck finding extra mags?? 2) I presently carry the Ruger SR9C, so how would you compare those two?? Thanks for the input, and Happy Shootin!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just got off the phone with CS. After my other issue, I asked about the 638 mags and was told "they're on backorder". No idea of a delivery date, and no other is compatible (138, 938, etc.). :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome aboard, and Congrats on the shooter!! Glad to see another positive review of a Taurus, especially the 638. I've been looking at the 638, HARD, for some time now, but have absolutely no reason to get one. If you can, I have a couple questions... 1) Have you had any luck finding extra mags?? 2) I presently carry the Ruger SR9C, so how would you compare those two?? Thanks for the input, and Happy Shootin!
One of my employees has a Ruger SR9C, its ok, not really my cup of tea. If you have to have a 9mm, I like two, one is the PT111 and the other is a Glock 19. Depends on your budget really. As for the 638, check with Academy sports, as they contracted Taurus to manufacture that model for them. I call my local one here and they had 3 on the shelf left @ 329.00. Which is a smoking deal. Everywhere else is 399. I got lucky can got mine for 299 on a clearance deal at Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got off the phone with CS. After my other issue, I asked about the 638 mags and was told "they're on backorder". No idea of a delivery date, and no other is compatible (138, 938, etc.). :(
Good thing is, at least the pistol does come with 2 mags.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
One of my employees has a Ruger SR9C, its ok, not really my cup of tea. If you have to have a 9mm, I like two, one is the PT111 and the other is a Glock 19. Depends on your budget really. As for the 638, check with Academy sports, as they contracted Taurus to manufacture that model for them. I call my local one here and they had 3 on the shelf left @ 329.00. Which is a smoking deal. Everywhere else is 399. I got lucky can got mine for 299 on a clearance deal at Gander Mountain.
Thanks for the feed back. I saw them at Academy (but no extra mags), and was gonna see if Cabela's would price match so I get the club points. I don't "have to have a 9mm", but since I already do, my 'logical' side asks, "Why carry the same size gun, but in a smaller caliber?". My 'illogical' side says, "It's cool, get one!" LOL My main concern was for the ambi controls.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
STOP TEAZN ME!! I'M WEAK!! Even Academy Sports is mocking me with a sale for $279. Oh the agony. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can't beat that price. You'd have to be nuts not to buy it for that. Shot it again yesterday, 200 rounds and not 1 problem. Smooth as butter, wife finally got tired, only reason we stopped. Still say one of the best pistols I have ever shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts