Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of complaints in the 1911 section about the thumb safeties of the 1911 falling out. I think the Taurus 1911 is an exceptional value for a 1911 pistol, and if they are having QC problems, it needs to get back to Taurus. Please call and let them know if you're having problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ambi thumb safety of the PT1911 seems to be the Achilles heel of an otherwise great pistol. I personally abhor ambi safeties on 1911's. With some custom models, they are so big that they look like they could flap their wings and fly away. As a right hander, I don't need the lefty safety. An ambi safety can be accidentallly snicked off in some holsters. Ambi safeties are just not as reliable as the original design.

I have installed several aftermarket thumb safeties an am comfortable filing and fitting them, but most 1911 owners may not know how to do it properly.

I would like to buy a duo tone PT1911. The thumb safety issue is the only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've never worried about mine falling out, but in all three PT1911's, first time removal was extremely hard. A couple popped so loud, I thought I had broken something.

Since then, no issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
WildRice said:
The ambi thumb safety of the PT1911 seems to be the Achilles heel of an otherwise great pistol. I personally abhor ambi safeties on 1911's. With some custom models, they are so big that they look like they could flap their wings and fly away. As a right hander, I don't need the lefty safety. An ambi safety can be accidentallly snicked off in some holsters. Ambi safeties are just not as reliable as the original design.

I have installed several aftermarket thumb safeties an am comfortable filing and fitting them, but most 1911 owners may not know how to do it properly.

I would like to buy a duo tone PT1911. The thumb safety issue is the only thing holding me back.
I agree. I am quite pleased with the way it feels and shoots. The thumb safety is killing me though. It fell out completely the first time I took it to the range. I put it back together and took it back to the range, but it starts working itself out after firing one magazine. I have to keep re-seating it. I called Taurus and asked for them to send me a new one. They are on backorder, so they put my name on the list. I wasn't happy that they expected me to pay for it though. I wasn't about to pay for a part on a gun that is a month old and only has 125 rounds through it. She told me they would send me a new one and for me to send the old one back to them.

This is the first 1911 I've owned, so forgive my ignorance. Is the safety held on only by the plunger and spring? When I had the safety out, I put both pieces together and the fit was extremely tight. When I out it back in, I had to tap on one side while supporting the other to get them to seat. I couldn't just squeeze them together with my fingers. Would it be worth it to replace the plunger spring with an aftermarket spring or would it not make a difference? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The ambi safety is a tongue and groove pressure fit. It is held in place by the right grip. I have three PT1911's and have had an issue only with one of them. After a detail strip to do a model 70 conversion and replace internals with Wilson Combat parts, I just compressed the groove side enough to maintain pressure on the tougue. No issues since with 2000+ rounds.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Mine fell out first time I fired it. I took it back to the dealer who reinstalled it and told me three out the three PT1911's he sold had this problem.

I also had light hammer hits that failed to fire.

Safety fell out again and I made the mistake of sending it back to Taurus. They kept it three months and apparently fixed the safety but did nothing about the misfires which continued.

I paid to ship it to them but paid to ship it back and didn't charge me for anything.

Finally I had a local gunsmith remove the Series 80 FSB and that seems to have fixed the misfiring problem.

·
Administrator
40,287 Posts
974 rounds as of Monday. No problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
968 Posts
i have the safety problem, the right side falls out.

for a gun that shoots better than my buddies kimber(in my opinion), and was cheaper....ill spend 50$ to get the safety iron'd out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent my PT1911 back to Taurus to repair my ambi-safety. Took 1 month 2 days to get it back at no charge. The only problem was the right side ambi-safety broke before 10 shots were fired through the pistol. Now do I want to spend another $42 to send it back for repair or buy a Wilson Combat ambi-safety and have a gunsmith replace it? Any feedback?
Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1911 safety failed after about 200 rounds. Took over a month for my dealer to get a Return Authorization from Taurus. They sent it back and it failed after about 20 rounds.
I called Taurus and they offered to send me a replacement safety and have a gunsmith install. It has been well over a month and still no safety. They claim to have upgraded their ordering system and have been unable to process orders. I've called twice and it is supposed to ship in a week. I fully expect the gunsmith to recommend that I purchase an aftermarket safety. Love the gun otherwise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I suggest that anyone who has had a safety problem order up the Wilson Combat Part and install it. It really is not all that difficult to do, it is like filing your nails down and you will be so much happier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
davenorr84 said:
what's the part number i should use to upgrade my safety to a wilson combat version? can i do it myself?
+1

I'm right handed and while i notice if i just use the left side with my thumb it snaps up and down firmly but if I ever try and use the right side of the thumb safety or it brushes up against something it can stick at half way while the other side does the full flip. IIRC it happens when you try to lead with the right side either direction. Just seems like one oversight on a so far over all impressive gun.

is it the P/N:6BN Wilson Combat Tactical Thumb Safety that most are using or some other p/n?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts