Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just turned 21, in the title above my local gun shop advised me this is a good starter defense carry gun. But I was reading it had reading problems and so forth. But was wondering if it was a good guns what, ammo you recommend, all of it I really love this gun just read a bad review and don't have a lot of money. And I have a FIE TITAN and I can't stand it... so if your free let me know!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I was so excited to do my first post but the problem I read it had was a feeding problem that the slide would get stuck until a break in period was done sorry I forgot to add that above and I don't know how go edit the post.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
You don't need help, just better information. You will find that there are a lot of opinions of various firearms and people with no reluctance to share them. Like those on this forum. Truth is, no matter how much a gun costs there will be those that will fail. "Mean time between failure" is a statistical calculation that uses failure rates to calculate reliability. You can look it up if you need a cure for insomnia.

In the past, Taurus had a rep for bad product QC. Recent experience indicates they may have fixed it. Still failures but at a greatly reduced rate. Of course, when your gun fails the rate is 100%. But the likelihood that it will fail had gone down. And so far as a "starter gun"... those are the ones that fire blanks to start track meet races. With proper care you will find your pistol likely (but not guaranteed) will function reliably. It may show better performance with a certain type of ammo, you will have to figure that out. Just don't immediately blame the gun when something happens that you can't figure out. This is the place to get information based on experience, not rumor or speculation.

And, let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.

Reactions: Alfonse

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw thank you brother for all of the information and reading material. I believe I'm making the right choice as my first pistol cause my budget it is slim, and I know after shooting my weapon to clean it. But is there a set amount of rounds to fire before cleaning and also a "breaking-in" period and I'm upgrading from an FIE TITAN .25 lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think Taurus recommends a specific break in period like some makers do but I'd say most guns need about 200 rounds through them to loosen up what's gonna get loose etc. lol. So put 500rds through it, if the last 300 were perfect, then you can probably trust the gun with your life, which is what you're doing if you carry it.

·
Super Moderator
38,045 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Northern IL. NotSo has pretty much nailed it regarding firearms and potential malfunctions. I have A PT 111 G2 and have no issues with it, even trusting it for concealed carry. The size, capacity and accuracy are the main enticements and the low cost is icing on the cake. If you are able to shoot any gun that you decide to buy beforehand it's always a good practice, but for the total package of the G2 I would recommend it without hesitation.

edit...and Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
998 Posts
My Kahr recommend 200 rds break in, but I always do around 500 rds of various ammo (specially what I am going to use for self defense) thru any firearm I am going to carry. I have a G2c not a PT111 G2...in reality the same firearm with a tweak here and there, no Taurus safety lock, and I have zero problems with the G2c. I know many say "oh, risk your life to save a few dollars buying THAT THING"!! Well That Thing, has out performed some of my firearms costing many more $$$ that the G2c.

·
9,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum CO. The 111 G2 and its follow on G2C are both proven value firearms. Also there are great rebates on the G2C right now $25 - $30 depending on the model. My G2C ran great out of the box and compared very well to the more expensive Glock 19.
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/...2c-vs-glock-19-gen-5-battle-summer-carry.html

Here is my initial review:
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/millennium-pro-pistols/394737-taurus-g2c-review-silverstring.html

You have so many choices now for subcompact double stack 9mm pistols under $500.
Ruger SR9C ( my personal favorite and what I carry ) - $280 - $380
Turkish clones of the CZ compacts (tristar, Canik) $380 - $420
Glock 26 - Used $350-$400 , new $400 - $500
Springfield XD/XDM/XD mod2 in prices from $350 - $500
Walther Creed - $260 - $300
There are others , but I don't have personal experience with them. Good on you to get something other than FIE for self defense. Enjoy your journey and let us know if you have more questions.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thank you guys all so much for the information it means a lot and thank y'all for the warm welcome!! So after how many rounds do I need to clean it??? And can I clean it at the range??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And the size isn't what's getting me it's the prize I love everything about the G2C when I held and everything it just fit perfectly in my hands and felt good!

·
9,106 Posts
I would recommend you clean the pistol before firing the first time. You will also need to put some lube on it after cleaning. Once you do that you should be good to go for 1-200 rounds. In fact many reviewers run 200-500 rounds without a clean and lube. Opinions on how much and how often to clean/lube are like flies on a chicken farm, there are lots. My process:

Verify the gun is empty and the magazine is out
Dissasemble the pistol as per instructed in the owners manual
Run a patch through the barrel ( i wet patches lightly with Hoppes #9 )
Use a rag and wipe down the inside surfaces of the slide, and the breech face ( this is the metal wall that the firing pin comes though ) I usually also wet that rag with a bit of hoppes
Use a dry rag/patch to wipe down the interior of the frame
Back to the barrel - now it is time to run a cleaning brush through the barrel a few times
Followed by another patch or two until they come out clean.
lightly lube the pistol ( some kind of gun oil - not WD40 ) refer to the owners manual or you tube for best way to lube your gun.
reassemble, verify operation and that the safety works.

This is a basic process for all pistols, we each develop our own version of that process after some experience. I use different lubes for different kinds of pistols, and in different ways. But I don;t want your head to explode due to the myriad of different ways to clean and lube. Start out basic and go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I agree with SilverString about cleaning it first. I never would have thought of that, but I received the same advice on this forum and it was spot on. I don't have your specific gun, but I do have other Tauruses (Tauri?) and they come from the factory with some dry chunky lubricant that gum things up. SilverString also has a great checklist for cleaning. I suggest watching some online videos about taking down and cleaning your specific gun. That way when you pick it up you'll at least be more familiar with it than you otherwise would have.

Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Y'all are great sorry I'm asking so much y'all are just so VERY HELPFUL thank y'all so I will definitely clean it before I go to the range then go and fire it!! Thank you everyone for all of the welcomes glad to be here!!

·
9,106 Posts
Patches are available in lots of places. Walmart, Academy, Cabelas/Bass pro, Gander, most gun stores, Amazon, Ebay etc.. Buy the correct size for 9mm, I use 1.5 - 2 inch squares for my medium caliber pistols. They come in bags of 50 on up. Some are woven paper, some are fabric. Once again just go basic for starters keep it cheap. I gotta ask - where you live..We have several members on this forum who might be able to help you personally depending on your location. I live in far NW Arkansas and do gunsmithing, training etc... If you live close to me, consider this an open invitation to drop by. If interested use the PM function to send me an email.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@ COdyRay:
The G2C was my first 9mm about 13 months ago. In that time, I've only shot 4,000 rounds through it.
The point is (as has been stated), clean it, then learn how to use it properly.
For me, it shoots well (I installed Lakeline LLC fiber optic sight), and I enjoy shooting it as well.
Buy brass casing ammo, and be willing to spend a few cents more for good quality ammo... Mine doesn't like Blazer Brass, but loves American Eagle, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, and Remington

Training, Practice, Training, Practice, Training...

Maybe there is a local range that does little clinics that even help with IDPA practice

1 - 20 of 69 Posts