Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My PT111 G2 was purchased last month. Iv noticed that the black finish comes off pretty easy. Just a couple of times in and out of a Bolteron holster and I can see bare metal in a few areas. That is all i did was test fit my new holster and check retention a few times. I expect for wear to happen being in a holster but not so quickly.

Im wondering what kind of finish is on the slide.

A black Oxide of some sort?

Anyone here use a product to repair the finish on your slide?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've had my G2 a little over a year and have noticed some minor wear at the muzzle end. Kind of gives the gun "character". Things are slow to rust here in Nevada so I'm not concerned about it.

Reactions: Falstaff

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've not noticed this on my G2s, but have on my 709. I agree with Nevadabob: it's character. Now, if they were safe queens, I might have a different opinion.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I haven't had this happen as yet

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I have both a blued version & the new "black" cold blued versions, or whatever they call it? The OP is right, it wears much faster than the old bluing when using polymer holsters. It's a surface topping versus the the old bluing being a controlled rust bonded with the top metal layers (is my guess), I'm not a metallurgy major, nor do I play one on TV. ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
My PT111 G2 was purchased last month. Iv noticed that the black finish comes off pretty easy. Just a couple of times in and out of a Bolteron holster and I can see bare metal in a few areas. That is all i did was test fit my new holster and check retention a few times. I expect for wear to happen being in a holster but not so quickly.

Im wondering what kind of finish is on the slide.

A black Oxide of some sort?

Anyone here use a product to repair the finish on your slide?
Mine is very shiny in places where it was once black. To me, it's just the sign of a well-used tool. Just my opinion, of course. Maybe we should start a thread showing how our tools age...

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
If you look at police trade ins you'll see the same type of wear in the same places on other brands of guns, even including the Glocks with their special finish, so I'm not sure what the fix is.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of any kind of coating that merely sits on the surface. I'd prefer conventional blueing or stainless steel.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My reason for buying stainless....... I really like the black stainless on my 738 - black, and stainless! Wish that was an option on all their guns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I love when my guns (long and short) look used...not abused. A little to moderate finish wear is not a problem but when I begin to see more metal than finish thus requiring excessive care it's time to address it. Browsing this sub-forum the other day I ran across a poster's recommendation of a refinish company in TN(?). A quick glance at their site showed very reasonable pricing for either their proprietary finish (I believe $40 for a compact slide) or a number of traditional finishes. Should have bookmarked it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think my G2 looks pretty nice with a bit of rub... I have my holster quite loose so it only rubs in a few spots. It was mainly only rubbing on the body above the rails (which is hard to see in photos) but now it is starting to get the slide in a few spots. Still, mine definitely is not "abused" nor does it look it to me after over 1300 rounds.

20160608_100038.jpg
20160608_100102.jpg

Reactions: Boheeber

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think my G2 looks pretty nice with a bit of rub... I have my holster quite loose so it only rubs in a few spots. It was mainly only rubbing on the body above the rails (which is hard to see in photos) but now it is starting to get the slide in a few spots. Still, mine definitely is not "abused" nor does it look it to me after over 1300 rounds.
Absolutely! You possess a pistol which looks to have a purpose in life (as almost all should). My definition of visually "abused" is one that has unwarranted hard-knocks like excessive dings, scarring or, almost any amount of unattended rusting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look at police trade ins you'll see the same type of wear in the same places on other brands of guns, even including the Glocks with their special finish, so I'm not sure what the fix is.
yeah, i expect to see wear over time with a holster... just not instant wear.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
yeah, i expect to see wear over time with a holster... just not instant wear.
True enough. Maybe you could think of it as being like faded designer jeans - you know, the ones that sell for twice what Levis cost, but look like ones that I have thrown away - without the extra expense. :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Even stainless will show holster wear after some time. I sent the slides of my old handguns, sometimes I also sent mags, to CCR (Cummings Custom Refinishing) for cera-hide coating. Mary & Brad Cummings are fantastic people, their prices are right and Brad is a great firearm refinishing artist who did excellent jobs for my old slides & mags. The cera hide coatings he put on my pistols lasted years without showing noticeable holster wear with daily carry.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Regarding the blue pt111 and holster wear, does it seem to make a difference to anyone what the holster material is?

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Regarding the blue pt111 and holster wear, does it seem to make a difference to anyone what the holster material is?
It should. Poly holsters seem to wear the finish quickly unless they are felt lined. Then leather, followed by soft nylon, as far as wear goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts