Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying one but I don't have a way to get a feel for it before hand. I don't know anyone who has one and I can't find one at any of the gun shops in my area. Can anyone tell me about their experience with them? I thinking of buying one for concealed carry. How hard might it be to conceal in an IWB holster for a guy who's kind of skinny?

I've read that it's based on the PT-92. I shot that one a few times and like it quite a bit. Is it similar? Can anyone give me a general comparison of the two?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dont know anything about a pt92,dont own a taurus 1911.Am 130 pds 5 ft 5,previously carried a 32 acp or Pa63 IWB SOB,due to printing.
Appendix tuck when sitting gouged me,sob tended to print if bending over and was uncomfotable when driving long distance.
Recently purchased a Carles Daly 1911 45 acp,full size frame and grip yet officers slide and barrel,worn in a leather pancake on belt at 4 oclock,simple shirt with tail or sides over a t shirt and it disappears,it also has a slight forward cant easy to get out with snap strap that goes under the hammer.Sitting ,standing,walking bending over no problems at all,or printing.
SA,light trigger means one pulls points then takes safty off and places finger on trigger.Mine with a idpa type trigger pull is safe to carry as long as you follow that formula or at least never placing finger on trigger until you have pointed at what you desire to shoot.Forget that take safety off finger on trigger when pulling might be missing part of your anatomy.If not versed with sa then possibly da is better suited or da/sa such as my former Pa63 which is a walther pp copy.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
The PT-911 makes a great carry gun. I pocket carry in a DeSantis holster.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
I have 3 of them and 2 of it's bigger caliber brother the PT940. These are excellent conceal carry weapons in being compact in overall size, light weight due to the alloy frame, great ergonomics and great ammunition capacity.

Don't be surprised that when you mention the PT911 that many people will assume that you mistyped, leaving out a 1 in front of the 911 and mistake you speaking of the 1911 model of pistol. Which as you know is a totally different pistol animal.

From your description of being somewhat like the PT92, I assume you are reading the listing from Roberson's Trading Post? A great place to do business. Good prices, cheap shipping, and excellent customer service. While it maybe somewhat based off of the 92 in the fact of overall form and function, on the exterior they are very little alike in the looks dept.

If, I were you, I would jump on one, there are pretty amazing pistols. And even though it is a discontinued model it does come with the Taurus lifetime warranty as well as if you purchase it, then go to the Taurus website you can sign up for a free year membership to the NRA should you so desire.

As a side note: This same frame size is available as the PT911, PT940 and PT957. The 911 (9mm), 940 (.40sw), 957 (357sig).

·
32,811 Posts
Welcome.

The 911 and 900 series are and were a Taurus success story. I'd have a 911 if it fit my hand but alas it does not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote-Don't be surprised that when you mention the PT911 that many people will assume that you mistyped, leaving out a 1 in front of the 911 and mistake you speaking of the 1911 model of pistol. Which as you know is a totally different pistol animal.
Yes I did lol

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Quote-Don't be surprised that when you mention the PT911 that many people will assume that you mistyped, leaving out a 1 in front of the 911 and mistake you speaking of the 1911 model of pistol. Which as you know is a totally different pistol animal.
Yes I did lol
Not pointing fingers at anyone here....LOL!!!

Very common to have happen, very few people even know of the PT911 pistol so it is an easy mistake for the eye to register and send to the brain in its proper context.

·
32,811 Posts
I've done research using the Internet search engines for the 911. Gun auction or selling sites have had many a "1911" thrown in the narrowed down search responses. SHEEEEESH!! :) Same goes for Google and the search engine responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I do mean I'm looking at a PT-911. I already own a PT-1911 and I like it very much, which is another reason I'm looking into the 911.

So based on the size of the 911 how would you guys recommend carrying it? I'm kind of a thin guy (5'11 and about 165) I wear a lot of button down shirts but I live in a warm area so shorts and t shirt more often during the summer. Can anyone recommend a good setup for concealed carry?

Also, I've never shot a .357 Sig. How does that caliber compare to a 9mm as far as recoil and stopping power are concerned?

Thanks again to everyone who's replied so far.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I do mean I'm looking at a PT-911. I already own a PT-1911 and I like it very much, which is another reason I'm looking into the 911.

So based on the size of the 911 how would you guys recommend carrying it? I'm kind of a thin guy (5'11 and about 165) I wear a lot of button down shirts but I live in a warm area so shorts and t shirt more often during the summer. Can anyone recommend a good setup for concealed carry?

Also, I've never shot a .357 Sig. How does that caliber compare to a 9mm as far as recoil and stopping power are concerned?

Thanks again to everyone who's replied so far.
Stopping power is a lot more. Now as for the recoil, if we are talking about the 957, then your recoil is virtually the same as the 911 because the 957 is ported.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Stopping power is a lot more. Now as for the recoil, if we are talking about the 957, then your recoil is virtually the same as the 911 because the 957 is ported.
Now one point that my good buddy Magnum_Gauge has not pointed out, so I will, is to not pass on buying the PT911 in favor of buying a PT957. They are all but nonexistent in the market place. By all means if you run across one in good condition in the future pick it up and give me a call and I'll take it off of your hands.
As for the PT940, the .40sw round is a bit snappy through this small frame and maynot be for everyone.

As far as conceal carry of the 911, it is small enough to allow for multiple options. I like to either tuck mine into my front pocket or under the waist band and leave my shirt tail out to cover it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looking at Elwood's picture, that frame looks a lot like a PT92 frame.

I don't suppose the slides interchange between 92 and 911?

I guess that would be too good to be true.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Looking at Elwood's picture, that frame looks a lot like a PT92 frame.

I don't suppose the slides interchange between 92 and 911?

I guess that would be too good to be true.
No the slides are smaller than the 92s on the 911s. The barrel blocks are also different which doesn't allow them to interchange. Now if you want to combine them just find a PT909.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm in the other camp. I think the PT911 is a bit large for concealed carry. I'm 5'10", 185 lbs and wouldn't want to carry it all day - your mileage may vary. I will say that my 911 is the only firearm that ALWAYS goes to the range with me. I may rotate others along, but the 911 is such a dream to shoot that it's always along. It's also my bedside gun. And I just recently got two 15 round mags. Would have gotten them earlier, but I didn't know they existed until someone mentioned them here. Anyway, if you find one BUY! If you later decide you don't want it, let me know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts