Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so right before a friend of the family past away he left me a taurus pt 909 and I love the gun, but while my father was going through his photos on his computer that had a set of them only the one was a taurus and the other was a beretta. Now with all the luck I have I cant seem to find any information about the beretta version of the pt 909 and thats why I'm here and didnt know if anyone had any information that might lead to look online to see what the gun was.

Sadly my friend had sold the beretta a few years before his passing, and I dont have the image from his compute(idk how his wife would feel about it) but I thought it was worth a shot coming here.

·
32,706 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This is a Taurus 909. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Here are the specs for that.

Model: 909B
Finish: Blue Steel

Caliber: 9 mm

Grips: Hard Rubber

UPC: 7-25327-60110-4
Capacity: 17 +1

Weight: 28.2 oz
Rate of Twist: 1:9.84"

Barrel Length: 4"
Construction: Steel/Alloy
Height: 5.543"
Frame: Medium
Width: 1.606"
Action: DA/SA
Front Sight: Fixed 1 dot
Length: 7"

Grooves: 6

Trigger Type: Smooth

Order #: 1-909041

MSRP: $615.00

Rear Sight: Fixed 2 dot
Grooves Turn: Right

There is no direct Beretta equivalent. The closest Beretta likeness is the Beretta 92 Compact. There are major differences though.

The Taurus 909 has little connection to the Beretta 92FS. Observe:Beretta 92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Beretta 92 is a full size frame 9x19 handgun. The Taurus 909 is not though there might be some kinship indirectly with the Beretta 92.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
From what I have read, the Taurus 92 series is a descendant of the Beretta 92 series. When Taurus introduced the 9xx series, they addressed the weak point of the Beretta design, the locking block. The 9xx series basically uses the Beretta design for the frame internals and a S.I.G.-like (P-225) locking design in the slide. The 9xx, (at least my 908 ) has no locking block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill have to look at the photo again i thought it was the same gun design just different companies ill have to see if my father can get the photo and ill post it here.

thank you both for your help tho.

·
Administrator
18,183 Posts

Taurus PT909B 9mm, 17 round Magazine Capacity, discontinued and replaced by PT809B

The PT909's Frame design was derived from the PT92 design and will use most of the PT92 Frame parts, the Slide Assembly was taken directly from the PT908/911/915 Series handguns which use the modified Browning Short Recoil Locking System that is found on the SigArms Pistols, as has been previously noted in this thread.

The PT909 design and it's other PT900 siblings have no corresponding design in the Beretta line and represent a milestone departure from the Beretta 92/Walther P-38 oscillating wedge locking design.

A similarly sized Pistol in the Beretta line is the Beretta Cougar, but that Pistols design uses a Rotating Barrel locking system derived from the French MAB PA-15 and Savage Pistol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the finest handgun forum on the web.

Your friend obviously held your friendship in high regard, as evidenced by the splendid Taurus handgun he shared with you before his passing. I'm sure the gun will be near and dear to you for all the days of your life.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Let me add that this frame safety design allows for a safe Condition One carry ala the Colt 1911 design. The Beretta's do not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Over a 58 year period, I have been gifted 4 firearms. Those four will never be sold or traded. That was a fine friend you lost.

Tuckerdog1

·
Super Moderator
37,235 Posts
Reactions: mingaa
1 - 12 of 12 Posts