Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Taurus PT 740 slim through Buds Gun online. Ive had it for a few weeks now. Ive shot about 350 rounds through it so far. All brass cased full metal jacketed ammo. The indoor range i used only allows brass cased ammo. After getting the gun home. I field stripped it. Cleaned & oiled it. The first range visit i shot about 100 rounds. This gun came with the viridian E-series laser & 3 magazines. 1 8 round & 2 6 round mags. The issue has only happened with the 6 round magazines. I load the magazine, rack the slide. the round hits the feed ramp. Its essentially stuck right at the beginning of the feed ramp. Unable to perform immediate actions. Tap/rack wont work. Unable to eject the magazine. The only way I found to clear this is to take my cold steel push dagger & place the tip of the blade under the bullet & lift slight up. After which the slide will close. Still slightly out of battery. Then I was able to eject the magazine to inspect the bullet for any damage to the ammo. This happened about 1 more time on the first range visit. Second range visit this happened a few more times. I went to the range today & it happened about 4 more times. I got back home. Field stripped the gun. Cleaned it & oiled it. The 8 round magazine work fine. This occurs with the 2 6 round magazines. Has anyone had a similar issue with the PT 740 slim or even the PT 709 ? Also I even tried loading the magzines 1 under capacity. The problem still happens. Im thinking magazine issues ? I don't really want to send the gun in to Taurus. The gun shoots great. Thanks for any input.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Pull the mags apart(all 3) and clean them, look for burrs or anything else that stands out, and sand problems off..................
Lube inside of mag with a very lite coating of dry lube, put back together and load all mags to capacity and let sit for a day or two.
Then report back on how your range trip went and we can go from there!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I took the magazines apart last night & inspected them. Nothing really stood out except the springs have a lot of tension in the 6 round mags. The 8 round magazine seems to have a lot less. I loaded them both to capacity. I’ll let them sit for a while. I’ll give an update next range trip. I guess worst case I’ll buy 2 more 6 round magazines. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
I wasn't aware that taurus was still even making the 740 or the 709, read and learn.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taurus PT 740 slim

After my last range visit I got back home. Field stripped & cleaned gun. Put it back together. I noticed the rear sight is loose. I has 1 screw holding it in place. I tightened it with a flat head screw driver. I’ll see how it does next range visit. If it becomes loose again. I’ll replace this screw with a Phillips head screw & a little blue loctite.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
This is a follow up to a new thread about this issue 3 days ago. Gonna merge this thread with that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts