Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trading my PF-9 for a PT709 "slim". Any thoughts? I've watched a few vid's, compared weight and size. Pretty much a wash. Like the PF-9, but wondering... And it is my EDC.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I guess you mean "Kel Tec PF9"? Choose which ever you like best. I can't make that decision for you. Both will serve well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must be the cold medication... Yep, Kel-tec. Anyone care to be helpful about their personal preferences for a PF-9 vs. a 709 ??

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I don't know. Anyone got a Taurus with over 11K rounds before floundering? My P11 recently broke an extractor, first problem iit has had in 11K plus rounds and 15 years of carry and shooting. Pretty danged great service doncha think? I like the gun and am so familiar with it, point it so naturally now, that I don't desire anything new. If I got another 9mm pocket carry, it'd be a NEW P11.

Once I'm one with the gun, I'm good to go with it. I wouldn't trade my P11 for either of your choices, frankly, but that's ME. Some are newer to DA shooting and prefer the PF9 or the 709's trigger. I prefer a longer DA for safe pocket carry and my shooting is not inhibited by it. Of course, I've practiced a lot with the gun over the years and shoot almost exclusively DA with carry revolvers. What I like might not be what you like.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't own either one, but I have looked at both and have shot a PF9 and a PT709 Slim from looking at them both I'd say over all the Taurus is a better gun.

I will not give my opinion on Kel-tec because its not a nice one and I am not the "Bashing" type...

Although there are other small carry guns I would choose over both, I am a Ruger guy and I if I had the option would go with the Ruger LC9... But as these guys said its all about preference.

If you do choose something new though, we are definitely down for a range report on what ever you do choose...

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I don't own either one, but I have looked at both and have shot a PF9 and a PT709 Slim from looking at them both I'd say over all the Taurus is a better gun.

I will not give my opinion on Kel-tec because its not a nice one and I am not the "Bashing" type...

Although there are other small carry guns I would choose over both, I am a Ruger guy and I if I had the option would go with the Ruger LC9... But as these guys said its all about preference.

If you do choose something new though, we are definitely down for a range report on what ever you do choose...
Yep, I also prefer the 709 and LC9 over the PF-9. But if you asked the same question in the KTOG forum, most people would say they preferred the PF-9. So if possible, please try the 709 first to see how you like it.

kaiged1, I hope your P95 will come soon and please tell us how you like it. I like the SR9 & SR9c very much, they'd always go bang when I pressed the trigger and they are very accurate.

·
Registered
432 Posts
kaiged1, I hope your P95 will come soon and please tell us how you like it. I like the SR9 & SR9c very much, they'd always go bang when I pressed the trigger and they are very accurate.
Oh I will, I am still waiting on the LGS to get it in, its crazy how they sold both the ones I looked at including the one I put the money down on.. (Not trying to high-jack the thread, sorry)

·
Registered
79 Posts
This being a Taurus board you'll likely get most votes towards the 709. I looked them both and the PF9 was slightly smaller and lighter. I like mine and it has been a reliable weapon so far.

The LC9 is almost an exact copy of the KelTec with a bunch of extra weight from needless saftey features.

My vote would be PF9. I also have a PT145 and a TCP that I carry. You will be the only one to know which one is best for you after handling both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I just need to find someone in NE Georgia who owns one, or a place to rent one, and go out to the range and do a side-by-side with my PF-9 and their 709. Someday soon maybe.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I can't speak to the PF9, but I did once handle and dryfire (with permission) a PF11 at a fun show. The trigger was a long and hard pull. By comparison, the PT709 trigger pull feels several pounds lighter.
However, the best advice is given above: Handle and if possible shoot both before deciding.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
From my point of view, the 709 slim has a better trigger and is easier to control during firing than the PF-9, probably because it is a little thicker feeling in the backstrap. I thought the PF-9 was thinner, but maybe that was just me. CWFunRider is correct, the LC-9 is a typical Ruger philosophy copy of the PF-9 which means it is overbuilt so it is heavier. Saw a price drop today, or maybe it is just a sale, but my LGS has the 709 Slim for $269.

If you are like NativeTexan and like the DA trigger for safety, try out the Kahr CW-9. It is about the same size as the 709 slim, handles extremely well, and has the best DA trigger I have experienced so far. A friend of mine has the CW-9 and I liked it so well, I got a CW-40 of my own. Until I tried it, I never would have thought anyone could make a .40 S&W in that small and light a package that didn't beat the crap out of me. It only kicks marginally more than the CW-9.

If you are looking for a really small 9mm, try out the Kahr CM-9. I thought it was the Kahr P-380 the first time I saw it. A friend has one and he really loves it. I like the longer grip of the CW series myself.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Skip them both and opt for a 9mm Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro.

For all intents and purposes it's the same size as the PT709 yet holds 12+1 rounds.

Lots of PT111 fans here including your's truly; test drive one and you'll be hooked.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
Well, my P11 is the lightest, smallest double stack 9 available, important since I pocket carry. :D I bought mine with 10 round mags cause there was a magazine ban on at the time, but one can buy 12 round flush fit mags for it, now. I never have, figure if I miss 11 times I deserve to die. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Those extra rounds do add a good bit of weight and the slide is a little thicker. I have a PT-111 Mil Pro and I had it when the Slim came out and I test fired it. I didn't think it was enough of a difference to justify trading in my PT-111 for the 709, but if I was buying a new pistol and had neither I would probably get the Slim because it is a lighter piece for EDC. JMHO

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
Those extra rounds do add a good bit of weight and the slide is a little thicker. I have a PT-111 Mil Pro and I had it when the Slim came out and I test fired it. I didn't think it was enough of a difference to justify trading in my PT-111 for the 709, but if I was buying a new pistol and had neither I would probably get the Slim because it is a lighter piece for EDC. JMHO
That's exactly my thoughts vs the PF9 and the P11, plus, I'm SO used to that P11 and fast and accurate with it. But, 2 ounces and about 1/8" thickness was not a deal maker for me when the PF9 came along. Had I been buying first time and comparing the two, I'd have taken the PF9. It holds 8+1, too, and that's plenty. Firepower has never been a biggy for me in a PDW, else I wouldn't love my Taurus 85SSUL 5 shot .38 so much. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts