Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the PT 638 Pro sa for myself and my wife. We have put about 150 rounds through them but keep have issues with feed jams and ejection jamming. The guns have been field stripped and clean well as well as lubricated. I have read several posts with similar issues. What is the answer if any? I like the gun, it feels nice and shoots well. I cannot have the jamming issues though. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What type of ammo have you tried? How often does it occur? Does it do it with both magazines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have shot my 638 three times, it has jammed on two of those occasions. Yesterday was the worst, several times I fired two shots and the casing failed to eject. Then I could fire 15 rounds fine. Both magazines are affected. My wife's 638 was fired for the first time. There was one failure to feed event out of 75 rounds. I was using a mixture of Remington UMC and Blazer Brass. I am suspect of the Blazer ammo, to tell the truth I didn't pay close enough attention to which ammo was causing the potential problem. I plan on shooting again next week and will pay close attention to magazines and ammo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, trying to narrow down to magazines might help. Did you dissasemble the magazines and clean also? Check the magazine followers for burrs or casting lines while you have them out. Clean again and lube the gun well with a spray lube like Rem Oil or Break Free CLP. Pay special attention to the extractor area. If the extractor is sticky and rounds aren't sliding up under it freely it can cause malfunctions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to shooting range today. The 638's jammed again. It doesn't matter what magazine it is. The Blazer Brass ammo jams every time. The American Eagle and Remington UMC worked fine. I still believe this is more then an ammo issue though. I am sending the guns back to Taurus. I think Taurus has a LOUSY policy making the owner pay for shipping. This is their problem not mine as is evidenced by the numerous problems other owners have had as detailed on the web.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry to hear you are still having jamming issues but it sounds to me like you have narrowed it down to a particular ammo. You will find this with many semi autos, not just Taurus PT638 or Taurus in general. That is why it's important to test the ammo you intend to use for proper function and use what works. A company like Taurus, or S&W, or Ruger can't possibly test every ammo in the world in a given gun. If your guns are newer than 6 months old Tausus will pay shipping. You may have to make that clear to them. Keep in mind that it is under LIFETIME warranty with repairs paid for and some other manufacturers would make you pay shipping and cost of repairs if it is a used gun.
My advice would be to keep shooting it with what works. These kind of issues often resolve themselves with breakin.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. I will call Taurus Monday. I was going by their repair policy published on their website. From what I have read this is a common issue with the PT 638. People who have returned the pistols have been very satisfied and able to shoot any ammo. Your point is well taken about testing the ammo. I have never had to do this with any other guns, including Taurus. There seems to be a problem with the 638's as way too many people are experiencing the exact same problem. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Contacted Taurus today. They issued a label to return the pistols for repair. Will require six to eight weeks. All I want is the weapons repaired and for them to work well. They are very nice pieces and I want to have confidence in them.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a PT638 and it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite guns. Considering my arsenal and my experience that's no small testimony. It's mostly shot everything I've run through it, with the exception of the Winchester White Box flat-point which it sometimes has a problem where the slide does not completely return to battery. But as I've shot it more it seems to be getting better, even with that ammo. I've found a lot of these issues do work themselves out as you shoot them. That does require an investment in range time and ammo. I've got about 900 rounds through mine and it's starting to find it's groove.

I fired 200 rounds through it yesterday with one failure to feed on the first round from a magazine, which I blame on one of my reloads, the bullet was canted in the case. I hope you get yours worked out. I think it's a great platform.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure the pistols will come back ready to use. This is the only time I have had an issue with a weapon. I look forward to getting them back. Thanks for the information, it is comforting to know not everyone who has the PT638 is experiencing issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received one of my two 638's back. They replaced barrel, ejector, and magazine. Took to range it fired flawlessly with all brands of ammo. Not happy they still have my other pistol since I sent both at the same time. They repaired the first one in four weeks. It has now been six weeks on the second. Called this week, they have replaced the ejector. Should be another two weeks before I see it. This is a great pistol when it works the way it should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Received my other 638 back from Taurus. Took to range fired flawlessly. They replaced the extractor. What a shame, it seems Taurus has a problem with the 638. It is a wonderful pistol when repaired and functioning well.

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Mine is still running perfectly, it is now fed a steady diet of lead bullet reloads with an occasional box of hardball. Still one of my favorite guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see this Thread is almost 2 years old and Taurus is still selling their supply of 638 Pro's because I just got one and can't fire a compete mag though it at all. Jam, after jam, after jam. I'm like jabrevo was a couple years ago and I like the size, feel, and Mag capacity of the weapon but if it doesn't function and I can't trust it it's no good to me at all. I have tried several types of ammo and cleaned the crap out of the gun and no change. It appears to me the problem is a small metal tab or guide on the back of the chamber that keeps the round against the back wall of the chamber and aligns it with the firing pin. If I disassemble the weapon and just try to slid a round through the space available because of that tab or guide it hangs up. Seems like a design issue to me. With all that said I guess I'll get the weapon sent to Taurus here shortly and hope they have the answer to my problem. If jabrevo still belongs to this forum can you tell me if you managed to get your weapons working?

·
24,011 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I don't see why they shouldn't be selling them. As for yours, it sounds like you're describing the extractor. Is that right? If the rim of the round won't go into that tab very easily, that's definitely the problem. Bet it will be an easy fix. Their turnaround is usually very fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you GhostHorse I think it is the extractor that's the issue. When I wrote the Forum the first time I didn't see the 2nd page of comments and I do now see that jabrevo did manage to get both his weapons repaired and working correctly. So with luck I'll get this one working correctly. Calling Taurus this morning and starting the process. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my share of stove pipes in my 638. I find that certain ammo like Fiochi fires beautifully while Blazer or the flat tip target rounds are problematic. As with many subcompacts I need to really focus on my hold and support hands to prevent limp wristing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.