Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
...Does anyone here have any experiance with the PT-58 .380 pistol...is unfired, NIB, Stainless...$350 for it. He has a PT-938 for $300...I would be buying it....more as a specality item.

Please feel free to lay any feedback you care to share.
Any reason to buy another gun is a good one in my book.

The prices are very fair as far as I'm concerned.

I like the "looks" of these guns...ENJOY! :thumb:

·
23,456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
Last time I looked on Gun Broker some dealer had a bunch of them for sale. It looked like they were all police imports from another country. Most of them are missing the magazine, so I feel the price is high on them. But they are available if someone wants them.

I still have an eye on one at a local gun show that I go to every 2-3 months.

·
32,808 Posts
I do own several PT58s and a Beretta 85.

I like the size and feel of them. Those are fun guns to shoot though I've rarely carried one for defense. These get the benefit of the new bullet technology and the longer barrels get the velocity boost over the mini-pistols.

Getting older, the larger .380ACP pistols make more sense to have and to carry. I can reach fully the trigger compared to some of the full size double column 9x19 magazine pistols. The recoil is milder as well. Since the gun needs to fit the user and having a gun is called for defense then I see little downside.

There has been no large factual and documented set/s of data to show that the legions of mini-pistol carriers/users have made a major mistake because of .380ACP failures. The same goes for some of the lesser cartridges as well.

Yes, there are some documented failures to be sure, but the vast majority of gun carriers have been successful to present in beating off or stopping violent attacks. In many cases, that Professor Kleck and Professor Lott have fully documented over the last 40 or more years, just the presenting or the fact the gun being present, full sized or not, was paramount in bringing attacks to a close.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/profiles/a/Gary_Kleck_Biography.htm

www.johnlott.org/‎
John Lott's Website

There is this, too.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/74022-call-rerun-case-380acp.html

Yes, carrying a more powerful round in a pistol or revolver makes sense if the user is proficient with it, but there are also times and circumstances for which the lesser cartridge guns come into their own.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'm thinking that the PT59 is the follow-on to the PT58HC, for export to countries having barrel length restrictions. Canada comes to mind. (4.2" minimum)

·
32,808 Posts
.380 ACP pistols that size are no longer large sellers. Gun makers have been dropping models similar to it or have dropped them in the recent past and have no plans to restart manufacture of them. Polymer mini-pistols are all the rage right now and may well be for the foreseeable future. The trend has not stopped. People want convenience of carry. Light and small pistols have that covered.

Taurus can only import just so many models through all the red tape and hoops the O'bama government puts in Taurus' way. Spare parts have to be imported, too. There is only so much that can be sent over by ship at one time.

Expense is another reason.

Personally I like the metal framed medium sized .380 ACP pistols and have Beretta and the Taurus models. Yes, there are more powerful and smaller pistols and cartridges. Yet the .380 ACP medium frame size pistols are user friendly. Pleasant to shoot and easy to carry. Of course that is a case by case basis for each person.

There are plenty of people out there for who shooting large frame pistols is hard to do. The trigger finger reach is too far for the user, but with the .380 ACP medium sized pistols trigger reach is just right. Do I smell porridge that is "just right"? :):rolleyes:
The trigger finger reach problem is that way for me. That is the case for me as far as metal framed guns go. Same goes for many other people who like metal framed guns. The reach and how the grip fills the hand just works out better. The gun needs to fit the shooter. When it comes to polymer pistols the case changes. Again, for each of us it is a case by case basis.

I have an affinity for metal frame guns and prefer them to polymer guns. Yet I have a few polymer pistols.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
This is why the many single-stack pistols continue to be rapid sellers on the used gun market. Try to find a Model 39 S&W, and Astra A75, or other duty-size single-stack guns today. When they appear, they often sell for more than new.

I also notice that there are many shooters who do not like the recoil of the tinier guns, no matter how many rounds they carry. That is often more a result of the grip shape than the power of the cartridge. It may be misdiagnosed, is all. For the average range gun, or home defense gun, concealment is a non-issue. How many of us know someone who bought a mini-gun, but who doesn't have a CCW? WHY?

When I'm shooting, I like to use a gun that fits well. My targets reflect that, as well. I have a neighbor who had his father give him a Beretta Model 92 FS. He has a LOT of trouble shooting it accurately. It has Hogue grips on it, and I've suggested to him that he lose them for the soft panels, instead. The gun is too wide in circumference for his hands. He can shoot my PT92 without difficulty, but it has an old set of Uncle Mike's Panels on it. He can also shoot my Ruger SR45 without issue. The difference is startling, even to him.

Not everyone needs a high-capacity hand-gun. For physical purposes, the single-stack guns are better for them. The smaller calibers DO, however, allow for that mega-bullet capacity, if that's what one is stuck upon.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
All PT-58 talk is driving me crazy, with my luck the one I have seen for the past 1.5 years will be gone next gun show. Oh well I don't want to over pay.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts