Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman who I purchased my PT-940 from told me he had the full PT-900 series at one time. He still has a PT938 and a PT-58 which is more the .380 version of the PT-92 style pistol. Does anyone here have any experiance with the PT-58 .380 pistol. From what I can tell they are getting very difficult to locate. The one he has is unfired, NIB, Stainless and asking $350 for it. He is also offering the PT-938 for $300. I know that among the CCW crowd the .380 is often said to be too light of a load for PP. But, to be honest CCW is not the reason I would be buying it....more as a specality item.
Please feel free to lay any feedback you care to share.

·
Administrator
35,752 Posts
I've never understood the need for a large 380 pistol, but if somebody likes that caliber and wants something a little bigger, then it should be a fine gun.

I shot a PT938 probably over 20 years ago and it was a good gun.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I carried a Beretta Cheetah (380) for nearly 10 years. It is nearly identical to the 58. It is still my favorite gun of all. I don't know when Taurus modified the old 58 into the 58-HC, but I think they ruined the grip.
But......I would think that $350 for a nib PT-58 would be an excellent deal. The 938 (never seen one) would be a good buy also.

P.S. The 380 is sufficient for personal protection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a PT-58S and like it. Mine was used when I bought it and had a few issues that were easily fixed. I like the larger 380s, they fit my hand better and are just plain fun to shoot. I also have an ATI MS380 which is a clone of the Beretta 84BB.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I bought a PT58 right after they were introduced, and still have it. I also own a PT58HC, and the ATI MS380, as well as a Beretta Model 84B. The PT58 is still chugging along. A LOT of new shooters really like it. Mine is blued, and sans decocker.

I've known quite a few police who carried a Beretta 84 series, or the Browning version, as off-duty guns. The Indiana State Police issued them as off-duty carry while they were issuing the Model 92. The police also like the Sig P230/232, and a few even hold onto the older Walther PPK/S. Note that none of them carried the newer, miniscule, .380 weapons like the Kel-Tec, Kahr, and the like.

I think that the mini-380s were designed with CCW in mind, civilian CCW, or Police BUGs. The older styles, with capacities of 8 and up, are easier to shoot accurately, conceal well, and have been proven over the decades. People aren't actually hard to kill, no matter what we hear about the "bullet sponge". Something to think about, if the person is actually a "bullet sponge", the caliber, and amount of ammunition carried by the average CCW isn't going to amount to a hill of beans, anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have owned PT-58s for a few years now. I upgraded to a stainless decocker model (known as the ss) from a nickle non-decoker model (s). I obviously have a big hand. I love that gun. The 380 round is popular because of the light recoil. You can shoot close groups in a close quarter situation. It is a pleasure to shoot. PT-911 grips fit it, but not as well as the originals. I have heard Pt-92c (compact) grips might fit it also, but I'm not sure yet. I have seen them on gb for as low as $250.00. Sometimes they are plentiful and sometimes not, just depends.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My MS380 is reliable, accurate, and solid. It's not finished like the Beretta, but it costs under $300.00 from CDNN. On it's own, it works well, and looks good.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my P-58 stainless this evening along with my PT-938 stainless. The Pt-938 is nice, just like my Pt-940 and 945 only a little smaller. Now the P-58 is in a entire different league. It is a bit smaller than the PT92, but fitment is a tight as any high dollar pistol of the same design. The build quality seems higher than my Beretta 96. As an added surprise it came with the wood checker grips installed...it is pure sugar cane sweet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Received my P-58 stainless this evening along with my PT-938 stainless. The Pt-938 is nice, just like my Pt-940 and 945 only a little smaller. Now the P-58 is in a entire different league. It is a bit smaller than the PT92, but fitment is a tight as any high dollar pistol of the same design. The build quality seems higher than my Beretta 96. As an added surprise it came with the wood checker grips installed...it is pure sugar cane sweet.
Let's get a pic. I took my 911 grips off, they appeared to be Ajax fake pearl, and I put them on my 58. It was not an exact fit, but I looked high and low, from one end of the earth to the other, and have found no one who will make grips for it. That being said, I think the 911 and 940 grips will fit on the 58 just in case your feeling like a change. Hopefully it's stainless, cause mine came with scratches and shined up like brand new with mothers polish.

Now, If I'm not mistaken, PT-911 came in 2 different sizes, but one of them will fit. Can you let me know if your 940 grips fit the 58?

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The PT-940 will not fit the P-58, the grip and handle are a different design. The P-58 is more along the style of the PT-92 series, but smaller. The grips from a PT-917 may work, but I have yet to purchase one.
My p58 is stainless and damn beautiful if I may say so myself.....this one will be a keeper!!!

FWIW, I did pull down both pistols to make the comparision that the swap would not work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The PT-940 will not fit the P-58, the grip and handle are a different design. The P-58 is more along the style of the PT-92 series, but smaller. The grips from a PT-917 may work, but I have yet to purchase one.
My p58 is stainless and damn beautiful if I may say so myself.....this one will be a keeper!!!

FWIW, I did pull down both pistols to make the comparison that the swap would not work.
Did the screw holes line up? Again, I say it wasn't a perfect fit. My Pt-911 grips, and they are interchangeable with the PT-940, have a straight edge and the Pt-58 has a contour edge. However, since they don't make grips for it, and since the the grips leave no part of the frame exposed, it's not a bad trade off. Again, it's almost like it was made that way. Let me figure out how to throw a pic at you. No decocker problems, no mag release problems, no slide release problems, a near perfect fit, except for the back strap. It even sits flush on the frame.

Attachments

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It did not appear that the screw holes would line up. I pull them both out here later today (I need to do a first time cleaning) and pull the grips off and do a trial fit for you,

·
Registered
177 Posts
It did not appear that the screw holes would line up. I pull them both out here later today (I need to do a first time cleaning) and pull the grips off and do a trial fit for you,

Ajax sells them like this I believe: "Grips for PT940/911." There was a guy on gunbroker selling PT-940 grips who stated that the grips were for the compact model. He offered the other size also and asked potential buyers to measure the grips before ordering. I tried to contact him, but he apparently is dealing with flooding in Bangcock and his gunbroker store and web store are inactive at this time. Here is his web store SunCrafts.com . Hopefully he'll be back soon because he also offered a pair in zebra wood that was pretty nice. Also, if they made the gun in 9mm and 40 s&W or 45 asp, then that might also explain the potential for different size grips of the same model.

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OK, I pulled the grips off of my Pt940 and did a trial fit onto the Pt58 and the holes do line up. However due to the swooping rear frame of the Pt58 the straight back design edge of the Pt940 grips would need to be trimmed. Trimmed very little, but it would limit you to using either wood, plastic or rubber grips. The pearl I don't figure would shine back to a polish if trimmed.

Here is a photo of the Pt-58, the Pt-940 and Pt938 all together.
The Pt-938 is the left pistol, the Pt-940 it the right pistol, the lower with the wood grips is the Pt-58.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK, here are 2 links that reference grips for the PT911/940. Notice that the seller is asking you measure the grips, because there are 2 different sizes. This is the guy who shut down his store due to flooding according to him. He offered them in 3 inch and 3 3/8 inch.

#3187 Rosewood Grips TAURUS PT 911 940 9mm 40S&W S : Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com

#3191 Sandalwood Grips TAURUS PT 911 940 Full-Sz S : Pistol Grips at GunBroker.com

You need to have a look at these quick, before GB makes them go away. I have the 3 3/8 grips on my PT-58 ss decocker. As I said, a great fit, except for the contour on the back strap. As you can see, I can live with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a PT58 right after they were introduced, and still have it. I also own a PT58HC, and the ATI MS380, as well as a Beretta Model 84B. The PT58 is still chugging along. A LOT of new shooters really like it. Mine is blued, and sans decocker.

I've known quite a few police who carried a Beretta 84 series, or the Browning version, as off-duty guns. The Indiana State Police issued them as off-duty carry while they were issuing the Model 92. The police also like the Sig P230/232, and a few even hold onto the older Walther PPK/S. Note that none of them carried the newer, miniscule, .380 weapons like the Kel-Tec, Kahr, and the like.

I think that the mini-380s were designed with CCW in mind, civilian CCW, or Police BUGs. The older styles, with capacities of 8 and up, are easier to shoot accurately, conceal well, and have been proven over the decades. People aren't actually hard to kill, no matter what we hear about the "bullet sponge". Something to think about, if the person is actually a "bullet sponge", the caliber, and amount of ammunition carried by the average CCW isn't going to amount to a hill of beans, anyway.
Here is my PT57, the 32ACP version Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For me I`m not big on the .380 for any other reason than a plinker......That being stated I realize a lot of people use them for personal defense and swear by them.....But however I am intrigued in the up grades that have been made in both the pistol and the round

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Gunbroker and EBay both have wood grips for the PT58 on them regularly. Taurus may still catalog them, as well. The original PT58 came with wood grips, as did the first runs of decocker guns. Be sure that you get grips for the proper gun's safety system.

Not surprisingly, the .380 ACP has benefited from the improvements of larger rounds as to velocity, penetration, and expansion. Today, the technology to insure expansion is old hat. While the .380 ACP won't meet all of the standards for the FBI protocols, neither will most .38 Special, or 9mm standard pressure rounds, particularly from short-barreled guns.

Fortunately, CCW carriers rarely worry about shooting through automotive windshields, or walls. They also rarely engage armored individuals at distances measured in tens of yards. The CCW scenario is still low light, unarmored assailant, distances below 7 yards, and frontal shots. Short of environmental barriers, like heavy clothing, there's really no reason why the .380, with it's lighter recoil, and capacity advantage in extremely small guns, shouldn't be sufficient if you do your part. At it's worst, it still beats a nasty look all hollow. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts