Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have have had a few minor issues with my PT that have started to kind of fix them selves just from breaking it in and putting rounds through it along with keeping it clean and lubed properly of course.

But I have one persistent issue that just won't go away and its kind of ruining my whole experience with this otherwise great gun.

So after firing a round the Firing Pin is getting stuck on the Slide Cap so that the slide does not return to its original position. This happens pretty often, maybe 5 out of every 16 rounds. Sometimes less often sometimes more, its pretty random. In total I have put about 600 rounds through the gun so its kinda broken in.

pt277g2c.jpg

It is very slight but enough to make it so I can't fire afterwards. I could not get a good picture of the back where the pin is stuck on the slide cap sorry.

To unstick it I simply have to push the slide forward myself manually with very little force, so its not stuck to bad but its enough to throw things off.

Has anyone run into this issue? Any advice on what I could do to fix this or should I contact Taurus and have it sent in?

I though about removing the Slide Cap and wearing down the area where the Firing Pin is getting stuck with a file to reduce the chance of it getting stuck. Not sure if this is a good idea please advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
may be something left over from pistol manufaturing i cleaned my 809 out with clp then blew out with air compressor but mine was full of packing gunk from taurus

dont know about 24/7 though could be same thing

jhp

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Have you removed the firing pin and cleaned? If not I would do so. There is a You Tube with instruction (push black plastic on firing pin forward to relieve pressure on rear cap. You can then slide cap off.)

·
Registered
24,809 Posts
Gun is failing to go into battery. May have something to do with ammo, chamber diameter, or failure of round to go under extractor.

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
That looks exactly like what happened to my Gen 1 Millennium except it was a broken re-coil spring causing the problem.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I too think the firing pin channel needs to be cleaned. It isn't that hard of a job and if you do not take it apart, you might try spraying it out with Gun Scrubber or CLP. I would not call Taurus until you have eliminated the dirty firing pin channel as the culprit of your problem. Do not take a file to it. Clean and then if you still have problems, call Taurus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I'll take everyone's advice do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin area.

After removing the firing pin and cleaning out the well should I lube it? What would be the best way to clean it? Any advice?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Alright I'll take everyone's advice do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin area.

After removing the firing pin and cleaning out the well should I lube it? What would be the best way to clean it? Any advice?
Nothing.

Never lube a firing pin with anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know messing with the firing pin is bad but is there anything special I should do with the firing pin well?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Yeah I know messing with the firing pin is bad but is there anything special I should do with the firing pin well?
You should clean it down to the bare metal. It is possible that there is a layer of very sticky grease inside the hole. Use whatever means (fluids, toothpicks, mechanics wire) to clean that void out.

·
Super Moderator
37,030 Posts
Any oil will attract carbon and result in the same problem down the line. I have heard of some people using a dry teflon type lube if you absolutely cannot stand to run it dry. It's not that hard to detail strip the slide. Just make sure that you remove the dust cap on the end paying attention to not damage the two hooks on the bottom edge that hold the part in, and don't lose the tiny FP return spring (don't ask how I know, I have a PT145).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts