Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey folks, new member here but wanted to chime in and share my experience with bringing a 25-year-old PT-22 back to life.

the pistol caught my eye through the counter of a LGS, and as i also own two new poly PT-22s, i was interested... it's nice looking and kinda retro... unfortunately i didn't exert due diligence and when i brought it home and went to clean it up, i discovered that it had a broken firing pin... a common problem from what i understand - perhaps from dry firing?

anyhow, i thought, hey, no problem, i'll just go to the Taurus web site and order a new firing pin - just like most normal manufacturers...

wrong! not gonna happen... anyhow, then i thought, hey, no problem, i'll just check Numrich...

wrong! no firing pins, new, old, or repro there...

fortunately there are at least two (that i'm aware of) makers of replacement firing pins... one is across the state for me, so i ordered two in stainless - they were cheaper than the titanium versions:

(i don't work for 'em, i'm just a customer - and there's another maker/seller as well)

and before anyone chimes in with 'Well, why don't you just send it in to Taurus for warranty/repair work?' - well, from what i've read here, it seems that might not be the most prudent, efficient or cost-effective approach - jeepers, it's just a firing pin!

Removal of the broken pin was easy:

- remove slide, turn upside down on a block
- while depressing rear of pin, tap down with a thin punch
- push pin out, keeping punch in
- slowly release punch to capture pin and spring

I measured the new pin at 1.64". Here's another, a heat-treated stainless pin from an outfit in Utah:

The latest Poly PT-22s take a shorter firing pin than the older PT-22. How do I know? Well, I removed the firing pin from one of my poly PT-22s and tried to use it as a replacement in the older one. Nope, too short! The caution is that when the firing pin is fully seated forward in the bolt/slide that the minimal protrusion is 0.028" with a maximum of 0.036". I used one of my poly PT-22 as a gauge and got the fitment right by taking a bit off the tip of the stainless pin. Fitment for the older PT-22 meant a reduction to 1.61".

Reinstallation was the reversal of removal - with the caution to hold the firing pin in, making sure it is straight while tapping in the retention roll pin from the top. Here is a recap of my measurements:

Original PT-22 firing pin and firing pin spring:
firing pin - 1.61" in length
firing pin spring - 0.67" long, 0.18" diameter, 0.01" wire diameter
firing pin retention pin - blued dowel 2mm diameter, 10.8mm long

New Poly PT-22 firing pin and firing pin spring
firing pin - 1.59" in length
firing pin spring - 0.75" long, 0.18" diameter, 0.01" wire diameter

Test firings of my stash of test rimfire caps showed normal indentation:

Then it was off to the range for function check. I started off with a single CCI 'Quiet' (790fps) just to see if the pistol worked. Bazinga! First shot was dead on at 4 yards (not bad for an old, half-blind pensioner like me). Then I ran a 50-round test:

So, all in all I'm happy. I now have a spare firing pin for all three of my PT-22s, old and new. oh, and by the way, the new PT-22s appear to have a firing pin spring that is a tad longer.

I did a write-up of my experiences with these little pocket pistols here: https://kg4zqz.blogspot.com/2018/05/review-taurus-pt-22-poly-tips-tricks.html

hope this helps some folks out there

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BTW, I found a source of 100 2.1 mm x 15.8mm stainless dowel pins for about $5. Making a couple for each of my spare PT-22 firing pins was very easy using a Dremel, some 320 grit wet-or-dry, a cutting wheel and digital gauge:

The firing pin retention pin is a press fit, not a slip fit. This means you need a dowel pin that has to be tapped in and will remain secure during operation of the weapon. Fitment required me to:

1. chock a pin in a Dremel
2. at high speed, make one or two level passes along some 320 grit
3. check dowel in slide (insert through the top)
4. if the pin slips in too much material was removed - use a fresh pin
5. repeat until fitment, then cut pin to length (10.8mm)

now i have plenty of spare retention pins!

(if you'd like a few to make for your PT-22, PM me an address and i'll pop some by U.S. Snail to you)

hope this helps some folks out there - this is a nice forum!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW, I found a source of 100 2.1 mm x 15.8mm stainless dowel pins for about $5. Making a couple for each of my spare PT-22 firing pins was very easy using a Dremel, some 320 grit wet-or-dry, a cutting wheel and digital gauge:

The firing pin retention pin is a press fit, not a slip fit. This means you need a dowel pin that has to be tapped in and will remain secure during operation of the weapon. Fitment required me to:

1. chock a pin in a Dremel
2. at high speed, make one or two level passes along some 320 grit
3. check dowel in slide (insert through the top)
4. if the pin slips in too much material was removed - use a fresh pin
5. repeat until fitment, then cut pin to length (10.8mm)

now i have plenty of spare retention pins!

(if you'd like a few to make for your PT-22, PM me an address and i'll pop some by U.S. Snail to you)

hope this helps some folks out there - this is a nice forum!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Hey there, I recently purchased an older model PT. I've had it for a little over a week and the firing pin snapped. If you still have some of these laying around could you message me back?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey folks, new member here but wanted to chime in and share my experience with bringing a 25-year-old PT-22 back to life.

the pistol caught my eye through the counter of a LGS, and as i also own two new poly PT-22s, i was interested... it's nice looking and kinda retro... unfortunately i didn't exert due diligence and when i brought it home and went to clean it up, i discovered that it had a broken firing pin... a common problem from what i understand - perhaps from dry firing?

anyhow, i thought, hey, no problem, i'll just go to the Taurus web site and order a new firing pin - just like most normal manufacturers...

wrong! not gonna happen... anyhow, then i thought, hey, no problem, i'll just check Numrich...

wrong! no firing pins, new, old, or repro there...

fortunately there are at least two (that i'm aware of) makers of replacement firing pins... one is across the state for me, so i ordered two in stainless - they were cheaper than the titanium versions:

(i don't work for 'em, i'm just a customer - and there's another maker/seller as well)

and before anyone chimes in with 'Well, why don't you just send it in to Taurus for warranty/repair work?' - well, from what i've read here, it seems that might not be the most prudent, efficient or cost-effective approach - jeepers, it's just a firing pin!

Removal of the broken pin was easy:

• remove slide, turn upside down on a block
  • while depressing rear of pin, tap down with a thin punch
  • push pin out, keeping punch in
  • slowly release punch to capture pin and spring

I measured the new pin at 1.64". Here's another, a heat-treated stainless pin from an outfit in Utah:

The latest Poly PT-22s take a shorter firing pin than the older PT-22. How do I know? Well, I removed the firing pin from one of my poly PT-22s and tried to use it as a replacement in the older one. Nope, too short! The caution is that when the firing pin is fully seated forward in the bolt/slide that the minimal protrusion is 0.028" with a maximum of 0.036". I used one of my poly PT-22 as a gauge and got the fitment right by taking a bit off the tip of the stainless pin. Fitment for the older PT-22 meant a reduction to 1.61".

Reinstallation was the reversal of removal - with the caution to hold the firing pin in, making sure it is straight while tapping in the retention roll pin from the top. Here is a recap of my measurements:

Original PT-22 firing pin and firing pin spring:
firing pin - 1.61" in length
firing pin spring - 0.67" long, 0.18" diameter, 0.01" wire diameter

New Poly PT-22 firing pin and firing pin spring
firing pin - 1.59" in length
firing pin spring - 0.75" long, 0.18" diameter, 0.01" wire diameter

Test firings of my stash of test rimfire caps showed normal indentation:

Then it was off to the range for function check. I started off with a single CCI 'Quiet' (790fps) just to see if the pistol worked. Bazinga! First shot was dead on at 4 yards (not bad for an old, half-blind pensioner like me). Then I ran a 50-round test:

So, all in all I'm happy. I now have a spare firing pin for all three of my PT-22s, old and new. oh, and by the way, the new PT-22s appear to have a firing pin spring that is a tad longer.

I did a write-up of my experiences with these little pocket pistols here: Review: Taurus PT-22 Poly - Tips, Tricks, and Traps
hope this helps some folks out there

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Do you know where I can find a spring?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts