Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a typical bashing thread from THR. This guy was shooting really fast powder in the gun, not a good thing as one poster points out. The .357 shoots slower powders well, not Unique or Bullseye at magnum velocities, too much pressure too early. So, this guy burns out his forcing cone and blames the gun...of course, he's read all the bashing threads on the boards. :rolleyes: It just snowballs on those sites. Most of the bashers have never even picked up a Taurus and if they did, it was "EEEEWWW, a POS!" :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm sorta glad there are so many of 'em out there. Keeps the price of good used Taurus revolvers affordable to guys like me. :D

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=334496

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Taurus prejudice gets old after a while.

Opinions like the Taurus bashers, is like all the a$$h---- on the boards, everyone has one, but in their case they have dozen of them.

It is merely a preponderance of ignorance placating each others egos of expression.

What fools these mortals be...from Puck on the comic banner of the Sunday comic strips.

And indeed, if it keeps the prices down on Taurus, the rest of us can reap the benefits. :D

TB C45

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
NativeTexan said:
Anyway, I'm sorta glad there are so many of 'em out there. Keeps the price of good used Taurus revolvers affordable to guys like me. :D
Me too NativeTexan. I found these extremely affordable M66s while browsing gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90420890

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90437339

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90442893

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90624739

If they want to bypass them that's fine. Just means more are available for those of us who want them. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmmmmmm, I don't have a stainless one....yet. ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not really sure the reason behind it. I have never encountered it in person but have seen it on the net. I do not claim loyalty to any one brand but pick up what looks and feels good to me. I have Ruger, Springfield, Taurus, Beretta, and am looking at a Rock Island Armory as my next purchase. So far I have been happy with the performance of all of my guns.
Harry

·
Registered
61 Posts
What you don't hear from the Taurus basher is any mention of the well-documented problems with similar-sized .357's like the Smith 19 and 66. The reasonable person firing full-power .357 in a K-frame size gun quickly realizes that it doesn't feel like you have enough gun for that kind of power. No wonder the manufacturers turned to advanced metallurgy, increased dimensions (L-frame) and strengthening the timing. K-frames and full-power magnums just never proved to be a long-term proposition, regardless of manufacturer. I just can't figure out how S&W is expecting the J-frame .357 to hold up. Even the biased (to whomever is paying to advertise in their publication) gun rags are saying the recoil is way too violent to be practical.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My first firearm was a Ruger Security Six .357 with a six inch barrel and I loved it but the darn thing was just too big for my hand. I could not fire double action without jerking off the target so I traded it and a CZ 100 I had for a PT 145 Pro which I like so far.

The 357 was also too big to carry concealed and I had my doubt about it against big bears (My wife and I rv camp a lot) so I didn't mind trading it in but those big revolvers are emotionally satisfying to carry.

I have a PT 85 BUG.

·
Super Moderator
35,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started out on center fires with a Security Six. I put a Hogue on it because the grip was tiny. LOL I never thought of my hands as being especially large, but I could wrap my fingers around that grip twice. It kicked like a mule, though, with the same loads I feed my Taurus, revolvers. I had a LIGHTER Rossi M971 that was very nice to shoot with those hot .357 loads. There was just something about the grip angle or something on that Security Six that pounded the shooter and it had a lot of muzzle flip. It did look like the barrel bore axis was well above the hand compared to a lot of revolvers. I even have a SP101 2", 27 ounce gun, that's more pleasant to shoot hot loads out of, go figure.

Thing about the medium frame guns is they carry well. L frames and N frames are heavy on the belt. There are some lighter L frames out, now, but I still prefer a K frame sized gun for outdoor carry and, yes, it's plenty with 158 or 180 grain loads for any black bear. I do have a .45 Colt Blackhawk that pushes a 300 grain .45 at 1200 fps if the .357 seems weak, but the 4" 66 is easier to tote. It's my hiking/camping gun. We don't get out a lot, right now, but we will soon as I can get a daughter to GET A JOB AND MOVE THE HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE. Sorry, touchy subject. Having to raise a grand daughter at the moment I didn't really have anything to do with, oh, well, won't go into that.

But, anyway, yeah, with certain loads the ol' .357 is hard on ANY forcing cone, not just K frames. This is why the .357 Maximum didn't go over, it ate forcing cones in Dan Wessons and Ruger Blackhawks, virtually melted 'em. With a sane load, though, and sparing use of anything hot, a K frame will last a long, long time. I shoot primarily .38 out of my .357s, not just the medium frame ones. I just prefer shooting the milder loads. I have a very hot 180 grain load I hesitate to fire in my Taurus revolvers, but they'd probably handle low levels of it. I think I'll fire a few groups out of the 4" sometime. This is a great load to carry for hunting or bear/critter defense. I've killed three deer with a mundane 158SWC load, though, and have full confidence in that load to get any job done afield. It's also my practice load, 14.5 grains 2400 behind my cast, gas checked Lee 158 SWC. It's a tick off the fire breather loads, but gets the job done and I have less concern that it'll hurt one of my guns.

See, this example is why Taurus doesn't warranty guns that have been fired with handloads. Some people are just idiots. Give 'em a press and they'll try to turn a .38 into a .357 maximum. I don't know how they're going to prove this guy fired handloads in the gun, though, probably cover the damage I'm guessing. If I knew the guy's name and address, I'd send it to Taurus and warn 'em. LOL!

·
Registered
69 Posts
From what I've read in the past, the .357 Magnum loads with a 125 gr bullet is notorious for forcing cone erosion and cutting the top strap on S&W revolvers too. A steady diet like that will probably damage any revolver. He claims it is a light load, but it is still 94% of the Max Load's powder weight. I've also heard of it wearing out the chambers at the case mouth in Scandiums, making extraction difficult if not impossible at times, I have a buddy with such a problem with his Scandium.

As mentioned earlier - too much pressure too early. You can put substantially more powder behind a light bullet and still be within SAAMI spec. These loads should be carried often and rarely fired IMO.

I think that thread is unfair. Stick with the 158's if you're going to put a lot of rounds through it. And don't brag about lying to the mfr.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep. The best gun in the world still isn't idiot proof.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The guy's gun in question sure didn't like people telling him he was dishonest and low character if he lied to Taurus about his stupidity...like he hinted he would.

Its that type of people that give the gun culture forums a bad name...that and the anti bashers.

TB C45

1 - 13 of 13 Posts