Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a new firearm, possibly the Taurus 800 Compact or the Taurus 24/7 Compact 40 cal. In consideration are a couple of other brands that are about twice the price, but very reputable. I own a Taurus 357 revolver and absolutely love it. Taurus pistols have gotten varying levels of reviews on other sites and a local dealer said "stay away from Taurus pistols." I also got "you get what you pay for." In that case, I own a fairly cheap car that I bought with 38k on it and several years later it's still purring with 109k. So, yes, I got what I paid for. And, of course, I also know dealers only want to sell what they have in stock or deal with regularly.

Again, I own a Taurus revolver and love it. So, I am in no way trying to knock the brand. Just want to get some input into the pistols, specifically the 24/7 and the 800 compacts. I have not found a local dealer that stocks Taurus. Therefore I have not been able to handle one. So I need to go by the experiences of folks who have. I just want to "get what I pay for."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't own either of those models. In general as a Taurus owner I have 4 Taurus pistols, 3 of which I bought new and 1 used.

The models I purchased new are a PT709 and 2 PT1911s. The model I bought used is a PT99SS. Of the 4 guns, the first PT1911 I bought had the extractor break at about 125 rounds. I replaced the extractor myself. That gun now has somewhere around 3,000 reliable rounds through it.

All told the 3 new guns have some 7,000 reliable rounds through them. I don't know how much use the PT99 had on it before I bought but I have put a few hundred reliable rounds through it.

I don't know if that helps but that has been my experience. Good luck in making our decision.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Compact versions aside( I have big hands) I have a 24/7 that I love.

It's G2 and in 9 mm. I have over 1,200 rouns through it without a single hitch at all, Two rounds were FTF on first trigger pull , but both fired on second pull with the strike two capability of the gun ( actually, it went from SA to DA mode when the bullet failed to fire and work the slide back)

I also had a PT809C in 9mm that worked great other than my big hands. It worked great for me when I had the 17 round magazine in, but I had a hard time holding it good with only the 13 round magazine in.

I sold it to fund the purchase of a full size 809 in 9mm , but murphy's law kicked in and I bought a 29 ga slug gun, then i got a revolver for a once in a lifetime deal price. Then I bought something else and then an appliance broke and needed to be replaces, etc./...

So, I will have another 809 - it will just be full size

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I have about 10 Tauri besides the ones from other brands. I love my Taurus guns including the compact ones like PT145, 24/7 Pro C DS in 9mm & .45, PT738. Two weeks ago, I bought a NIB 24/7 G2C in .45 and it's also a great pistol. I suggest you check out the PT140 G2 and 24/7 G2C .40 if .40 SW is your favorite round.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A friend of mine has the 24/7 Compact in .40 S&W, he got it from a pawn shop used and abused, and has used and abused it himself. Gun looks like heck, still functions perfect and is very accurate.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Welcome to the TA forum, Paul!!!!! I'm happy you joined our online family. There are a number of people out there that bad mouth Taurus, Ignore them. Taurus builds quality firearms at reasonable prices. Most folks want to think their high priced pistol is better than my Taurus that cost hundreds of dollars less. You will love the Taurus 24/7.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I have two Taurus pistols,a PT809 and the PT111 G2. I love them both, both as reliable and have about 1000 rounds each thru them with various types of ammo and no problems at all.

·
Registered
24,616 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Paul

I currently own 2 Taurus revolvers, a TCP and a 24/7 G2 .40 cal. The TCP has 700 rounds thru it (it is an "A" model) and shoots like a charm and the 24/7 has about 500 thru it. The 24/7 had to make a trip back to the mother ship after about 400 due to light firing pin strikes. They replaced the strike and striker spring and I have fired about 100 thru with no issues. That said, I have a Ruger SR45 that is also giving me light strikes. If you read the various manufacture specific forums you will find QC complaints about those firearms also. A lot of the bashing comes from haters who hate for no reason. They just parrot what they have heard. I would not hesitate in buying another Taurus. The price point works for me and they handled my previous issue under their lifetime warranty promptly and courteously.

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
I own 8 Taurus weapons/ all semi auto.
Currently they are all running fine.
I have had 33-38% return to factory rate, well above any other brand that I own.
specifically in the 24/7 model , own 3 and have had 1 need to be retuned for repair, again a 33% return rate.
Just my experience with the particular brand.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined!

First and foremost you should buy the pistol that you like the best, regardless of brand. Your odds of getting a lemon or a gun of poor quality are about the same for all brands. From a functional standpoint you will find they all function pretty much the same, again regardless of brand. The higher the cost of the gun, generally speaking, the better the fit and finish. Fit and finish are not function factors nearly as much as they are a matter of choice. I own pistols and revolvers from just about every major manufacturer. I own 11 Taurus pistols and revolvers. Only one, which I no longer own, had an issue and that issue was due to the short run of that particular gun, a gun that was never even listed in the Taurus Catalog. Taurus fixed it and it performed flawlessly. I eventually sold it to a collector.

Many people that have never owned a gun before choose Taurus for their first gun because of the cost factor. Many new shooters perceive their new guns to be flawed when they won't do what the shooter thinks they should, when actually there isn't anything wrong with the gun. These are usually the same people that run to the internet to voice their displeasure with a product before they really understand what the issues are. The percentage of warranty repairs for Taurus guns is virtually the same as for all other gun makers.

So, when you are looking for a new gun, pick one the fits your hand well. Pick one that fits your budget. Pick one that you find pleasing for the reasons that are important to you. If that's a Taurus, great! If it's some other brand, that's great too!

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !

New Jersey.jpg

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I will chime in and tell you I own 9 Taurus guns, and the only
issue I have had is not having enough time to shoot them.
If you are new to guns I will tell you that the first thing you should do
with ANY gun is to clean the gun and do a detailed cleaning!
That is the major problem with a new gun and one I feel is overlooked often.......
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I don't frequent many gun stores, but the one I deal with mostly only sells big names, so for me to handle the guns I'm interested in I wait for the gun show to come around where I can find and handle them. I check as many reviews as I can find (this forum is a must) and also check for accessories and their availability (learned this the hard way) Then if I like what I see I shop around online. Usually end up buying from Buds.
I currently own a PT111g2 (daily carry), PT1911, PT709 (backup), 24/7g2c .45, M66 and a M605. I am very happy with all of them, have not had any issues yet. I also owned a PT111 pro 3rd gen, and a PT709 (bought them used) that had to be serviced, and came back from the factory in perfect working condition in record time; I traded them for a NIB PT809c which had a broken trigger spring 3 months after buying it, sent it back and never had a problem again. However, could not find magazines for it, traded it after three years for my new 24/7g2c which I'm also finding hard to find magazines for. A 738LCP that had feeding issues, and got new mags from Taurus. Traded it for a used PT145 that was awesome, and like an ass I traded it for a 1911, which I love too, but now I regret having gotten rid of.

In conclusion, I can tell you that I've been happy with all of these guns, each one is unique in feel and function. Some I bought again because I just love their design and I do carry them a lot, others just because. The first ones I got I bought them blinded, never handled one before, but was very happy with them.
I have experienced issues with some of them, and others have been flawless. I cannot afford big names but even big names have lemons, and for the price of a big name I can buy 2 or 3 Taurii that will do the same thing, have a lifetime warranty and, at least for me, have good quality for the price.

Good luck with your purchase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts