Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

I'm new to the forum and I've been a taurus owner for a few years. (650cia) The questions I have are concerning the PT92 series. I'm in the market for a used one but I know nothing about these guns. As far as automatics go I've always been a Glock guy but these taurus's (tauri?) seem to be a great value and fun to shoot as well!
Here's my questions: What should I look for on a used one? Are there any points of wear that I should be careful of? Were there different generations like glock? Any models or serial #s I should avoid?

Thanks for any responses

APBT

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
APBT. Notice that directly below where it says "Hello APBT", there are several tabs. The 3rd one from the left is "Search". Click on it, a box will appear. Enter PT92. Click. Now that should keep you busy for a while. I have a new PT92 that's not even fully broken in yet. So far, no problems. I love it. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
You may wish the read the FAQ on the PT92 and it's heritage with the Berretta. Other than that, just the same judgement for any used gun... botched modifications MAY void the waranty, but with normal use you have one of the few guns that carries a lifetime of the GUN waranty. The most it will cost is the shipping and time to have it fixed... and most report it comes back as good as new (excluding the bluing which carries only a 1 year waranty). Good luck... check out the other models

Also check out Stephen Camp's article... Unsung Best Buy: A Critical Look at the Taurus PT-92
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TaurusPT92.htm

Very good review by an unbiased reviewer

·
32,803 Posts
Where are our manners?

Welcome to the forum. Our above esteemed member is right about doing a search. There may threads recently also in the Semi-auto board as well as in Smithing. Though it has been awhile.I am a member of THR and TFL forums and members here, as well as myself have posted info in threads at these two other forums.
PT92s and their brethren have dureability, accuracy, and operate as well if not better than the Beretta 92s. Training schools such as LFI( Mas Ayoob's school), Thunder Ranch, and others have seen PT92's come through and perk right along through entire 500 -1000 round courses while many other companies pistols broke. 92s are also used as loaner guns by these schools if a student has their's break and needs to continue.
There is also a book put out annually called "Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery". This is authored by the best combat and police trainers over the last few decades and has much useful info. I keep all mine as refrences.
In this book Taurus 92s and their brethren are recommended as smart choices for those officers or security people that have to buy their own pistol. If that isn't a high endorsement and praise I do not know what is.
Others will be more than happy to chime in on this, so I wil go and let them start the ball rolling. Keep us updated as things go. Like the National Inquirer rag newpaper, inquiring minds have to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing I did when I joined was do a search and Yes! It did keep me busy for a while but in the end all it did was to strengthen my resolve to aquire one of these pistols! However I didn't find any advice pertaining specifically to inspection and purchasing a used one. I've never even bought a used gun let alone a pt-92. Any advice on getting a used one?

Thanks,
APBT

·
32,803 Posts
Without trying to turn this thread into a FAQ I recommend the following for right now.
Obtain a Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th addition from www.krause.com and read the Purchasing a Used Gun chapter. Mas Ayoob is the author.
Since you seem to be new to a lot of this having a reference library, even a small one,with which you can look up material is a good idea. A little research seem in order at this stage.
Ineternet sites are ok for some things. For hard core info you can trust reading a few books by suitable authors who are knowledgeable about firearms can't be beat.
Farnam, Mas Ayoob, Peter Kokalis, John Lovette, Evan Marshall, Ed Sanow, Dave Spaulding, and Clint Smith are all good picks to read in book or magazine form. There are others as well.
Paladin Press and Gun Digest books are all good sources of info and can be found at the local public library. Might be old hat, but a lot of info can be found there.
www.corneredcat.com and www.mouseguns.com are also useful resurces or have links that available. While cornered cat .com is info for women there is a lot of useful things there for the guys as well.
At this point I will let the PT92 owners take over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.