Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I purchased the Judge about 2 weeks ago because a friend of mines had just told me about this beast of a revolver that shoots two different types of ammo. Well I bought some ammo and headed to the range. It was too busy for them to let me shoot the .410 #000 but they let me shoot the 45 Long Colt. I didn't realize how much grain the rounds were until after I fired the first one. 260 grain JHP. Ouch!!!! Sounded like a cannon going off and felt the same way. With the grip being so small, I only got 3 rounds off before I packed that sucker up. I came home and found a grip online for the Tracker by Hogue. I fits, but the bolt is not long enough. Home Depot didn't have one, so I'm headed to Lowes and some other hardware stores until I hopefully find the right bolt. In the mean time, I did order the Large Taurus Judge Grip for the Taurus which does make room for a 3 rd finger but I haven't shot it with the new grip. Just rambling but someone might benefit from this post and or be able to give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance. Soja1

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!!!

Haven't tried the Hogue grip, but the Taurus long grip does give my pinkie a little place to call its own on the grip...

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Welcome aboard from the KY, Horse Country!!

Be sure to check out the Sticky's in each section, and FAQ !!!

My Judge has the Hogue grip, and supprise the bolt fit? Not sure why yours will not. Did you use the original bolt, or the one that came with the grip?

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
Welcome. For plinking fun I would recommend something like the Winchester Cowboy loads. 250 gr. at just 750 fps. It's probably significantly lighter than what you were shooting. Bullet weight is only one factor in felt recoil.
In .45 LC, pretty much anything you find labled 'Cowboy Load' is quite mild. They're loaded at low pressures to be shot in old guns - and for light recoil for people shooting cowboy games where speed counts.

:wave:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome from Southern Oregon....or as I like to say....Orygun

Congrats on your purchase. Since the Judge and Governor have come out, so has new ammo designed especially for these guns. I have been searching for more .410 choices since alot of debate is out about the stopping power of this round. Here are a few rounds I'd like to try:
Lehigh Defense | Ammunition and projectile products for Hunting, Personal Defense, Law Enforcement and Military applications they have a multiple projectile .45 lc and a 200 gr ME .45 lc , it expands to 1.78in.
Then there is the Dupo 7short .410 slug. Watch the ballistic test on their site.

Normally, I carry 2-.410 PDX1.....2-000 buck and a PDX1 Elite .45 hollow point, or any combination. I use the .45lc for target practice and the shotshells when I want to see destruction....lol These guns were meant for short range use 21 ft or less, however using the .45 ,at least to me, it's very accurate at a distance of 50yds or so. Do a search on Hickok45/judge, he tests most of the ammo available at that time. Hope this helps. Happy shooting!

BTW.....I havent tried the Hogue grips yet but I may.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

·
Supporting Moderator
14,831 Posts
Welcome from Kansas

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Super Moderator
40,407 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
26,864 Posts
Welcome from cen fl.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Hello from central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some
friendly and knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
A warm welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Salutations from the greatest handgun forum on the Internet!

We are blessed to have many knowledgeable and friendly folks here, who don't mind sharing their Taurus experiences and wisdom with you.

So, pick a topic that interests you and jump right in! :yipee:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

And if I am reading your screen name right thank you for your service to our country.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts