Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one of these? Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

I would like to get a .22 pistol to use for training exercises. The 94 looks like it would work for that and it's almost $300 cheaper than the L-frame Smith 617.

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got a M94B2 here. I picked it up over the winter so haven't had a chance yet to give it a serious wringing out but the informal stuff I've done it's worked fine. The trigger started out real heavy but so far has settled into just heavy, like all small frame rimfire revolvers from what I've heard. Even the SA is heavy.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Yeah, the Smith kit guns are heavy in DA, too, so is my Rossi. Now, an old K22 Target Masterpiece is SWEET, but the Js are heavy, must be something to do with the geometry of the lock work. I've heard from several that the Taurus 94 is a heavy DA. In a way, that's good. The way I look at my Rossi, if I can hit with IT, I can hit with anything, LOL. It's not only heavy, but pretty rough. The SA is sweet, though, very light and crisp. I look upon a kit gun as an outdoor gun to be fired mostly SA. I mean, you're not going to carry a .22 for self defense after all. But, they do offer decent cheap DA practice.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
32,653 Posts
If we're talking "understudy" gun to center fire revolvers then the 94 is a good pick. As the above staff have pointed out all the good reasons for the most part why.

Using .22lrf snap caps and dryfiring through several hundred to 500 complete cycles, should smooth and lighten the trigger pull.

Have the 5 inch blue barreled version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any more thoughts?

I'm looking into a 94 as well. I was thinking a 317 or 617 by S&W, but they have increased their prices by about 5%. I'm thinking a "gas surcharge".

But anyway, please tell us more about your 94... ;D

·
32,653 Posts
Soooooo, your going to play rough,eh, Familywagon? ;D

HKS makes nifty pint sized speedloaders that disappear in a decent sized pocket and hold of course, 9 rounds. Takes care of the loose rimfire rounds riding around in a pocket or pouch.
The newer models have an underlug to protect the ejector rod which the old ones didn't have.

Rabbits ,squirrels, and ground squirrels can be harvested at iron sighted ranges.

Had the family members work with the 94 for fun, plinking, and cheap target practice over the centrefire revolvers. Easier recoil, less noise,and less chance of developing flinch are why the family got started on the 94.

One can build a little confidence having them fire single action for a short period and then introduce them to DA fire once some consistency is demonstrated.

So there are good reasons to consider a 94 revolver.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've owned older 4" blued M94s in the past with the wooden factory grips but no longer. I do, however, currently own a stainless steel M94 with a 5" barrel and rubber grips.

About three years ago, I was also debating whether to get a S&W 617 also and had a price comparison made between it and the Taurus M94 at one of the gun shops I frequent. At the time, the Smith was about $200 more IIRC. I couldn't justify to myself the additional cost when the Taurus M94 had a fit and finish on par with the Smith.

As others have noted the D/A pull is a little heavy but it gets better over time, IMO.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Another thought on the DA trigger. After putting a few cylinders through the M94, the nice trigger on my M85 becomes even nicer feeling by comparison.

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am currently leding the bidding on a 4 inch blued 94 on Gunbroker. If I can get it for under $250 I'll be happy.

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Don't forget you'll have shipping and FFL fees on top of your final bid (unless the seller is very nice and includes shipping, some do). Whats your local pricing on them?

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Yeah, and I never like buying a gun sight unseen. Even new guns, I like to check 'em out for timing accuracy, end shake, etc before plunking my money down on 'em, just to make sure there's not wear issues or functional issues. Pretty safe on a .22, though. I don't know if I've ever known of a .22 that was worn out by use, LOL! they just seem to last forever.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got outbid on this one, and wasn't willing to go above $250 for it. I'm now looking at possibly getting the Tracker .22 rather than the 94.

Todd

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered the 6" tracker. Should be here within the week.

Todd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wasup, Todd?
Good choice on the Tracker. It looks like a real shooter. For those that don't know, I was the winning bidder on the Taurus model 94

Todd was inquiring about. I beat him out by .01 . I'll be receiving it sometime late next week so I'll post a range report on it as soon as possible.
Later.
Rich

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Just rubbin' it in a little? ROFLMAO!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not at all. Todd and I conversed on another forum and he suggested I take a look at this one, so I did. I am a bit apprehensive about the impending arrival of this weapon, as I have heard some mixed reviews of it. I was also at the limit of my buying amount for it at $250 but bid from 240 to 250.01 on the chance that 250.00 was his max bid, and it was.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good to see you over here on this forum! Don't be apprehensive at all. The Model 94 is a good gun from what I have read. The trigger may be a little stiff, but I gather that's the way on most rimfire revolvers. You made a good purchase! And, you only beat me by .01 cents. If not for that .01, the gun would be coming to me, so I obviously thought it was a good deal as well.

Todd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a cylinder complete with crane for a Model 94? I've got a 941 that I want to shoot .22 LR's out of. Taurus won't sell the parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but I had already tried them (Numrich). They do have some Taurus parts but very limited and no model 94 stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts