Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped at a sporting goods store today and picked up this- Taurus 85CH in 38 special, all high-polish stainless steel finish (steel frame 5 shot- 22 oz weight unloaded), wood grips. The snubby is in very very good condition; not a scratch or mar on the metal, barrel is great. It's a concealed hammer model - while it is basically the same size as a S&W 442 and looks like the same profile, the hammer on the 85CH is not an internal covered hammer; it is actually a completely bobbed hammer that sits flush with the frame. It's a DAO revolver. The trigger is a tad heavier than my S&W j-frame, and has a very strong reset. Cylinder gap is very very small and there is zero end shake. Fired 50 rounds of 130 gr standard FMJ loads through it today; put them all in good groups at 5 and 7 yards; hits point of aim. The wood grips look great, and are a bit thicker than typical polymer grips, and the wood grips actually come down about a half inch lower past the grip frame so that I can get a 3 finger grip on the Taurus. Still, the wood is slick-smooth and tends to rock back in the hand. Got it for $320. If feels very solid and looks great. Had wanted a full-weight all steel 38 snubby and had considered the current Taurus 6-shot model 856, but this 85CH has a better finish (polished vs the brushed stainless), I like the 5 shot size, and I actually like the bobbed hammer better for CCW. The barrel on the Taurus is noticeably thicker in profile than a S&W 442- and not just because of the extractor shroud. Mirror polish on the muzzle crown.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
8,885 Posts
Welcome to the best gun forum on the web. That sure is a nice looking 85, ya done good.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Stopped at a sporting goods store today and picked up this- Taurus 85CH in 38 special, all high-polish stainless steel finish (steel frame 5 shot- 22 oz weight unloaded), wood grips. The snubby is in very very good condition; not a scratch or mar on the metal, barrel is great. It's a concealed hammer model - while it is basically the same size as a S&W 442 and looks like the same profile, the hammer on the 85CH is not an internal covered hammer; it is actually a completely bobbed hammer that sits flush with the frame. It's a DAO revolver. The trigger is a tad heavier than my S&W j-frame, and has a very strong reset. Cylinder gap is very very small and there is zero end shake. Fired 50 rounds of 130 gr standard FMJ loads through it today; put them all in good groups at 5 and 7 yards; hits point of aim. The wood grips look great, and are a bit thicker than typical polymer grips, and the wood grips actually come down about a half inch lower past the grip frame so that I can get a 3 finger grip on the Taurus. Still, the wood is slick-smooth and tends to rock back in the hand. Got it for $320. If feels very solid and looks great. Had wanted a full-weight all steel 38 snubby and had considered the current Taurus 6-shot model 856, but this 85CH has a better finish (polished vs the brushed stainless), I like the 5 shot size, and I actually like the bobbed hammer better for CCW. The barrel on the Taurus is noticeably thicker in profile than a S&W 442- and not just because of the extractor shroud. Mirror polish on the muzzle crown.

I bought the similar 605 a few months ago for $300 + tax and $2 transfer. I overpaid for it because the new ones are not polished stainless like mine and don't have the bobbed hammer. It was made in 2002 (before the Taurus web page lookup dropped the year) but had been shot very little. To me, the polished stainless finish and bobbed hammer were important to me and I am happy with it. I have been shooting 38 Special +P in it because the 357 Mag has a "little" more recoil. Mine has ATI grips. DSCF0211 (2018_11_28 02_35_33 UTC).JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Osbornk - that's exactly how I felt about it. I think the price was fair, but regardless - it had everything I was looking for in a new snubby; polished stainless, all steel frame, bobbed (or internal would have been good too) hammer, 5 shot cylinder size... and to get that in a S&W or Colt would have been way more money, and Taurus isn't making a current production that meets all those things.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Good Choice. I love me a polished revolver! You'll be happy with that one. Congrats!!

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Boy there is just something about that style of the older 85's. I had one that was made in 1999 that looks like yours but with the hammer spur. Traded it to my brother for a new 605ss2.

You can be proud of that one cause it's a beauty.

Congratulation from THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice. The grips look like they are from the dude in Thailand on eBay. He does a great job with exotic woods with a variety of finishes.

·
22,958 Posts
Welcome aboard! That's one handsome revolver!

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
Congrats on your new to you wheel gun and welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. The grips look like they are from the dude in Thailand on eBay. He does a great job with exotic woods with a variety of finishes.
The grips are factory originals -I've even seen an original NIB set from Taurus in a stand-alone packaging. However, I just ordered a set of the Pachmayr "Renegade" checkered rosewood grips for it. The factor ones are just too slippery. The Pachmayr ones cover the backstrap, have the finger grooves (allow a 3 finger grips still) and are checkered for a more secure grip, but the pics I've seen of them are really sharp looking.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great find! No wonder you have "happy" in your screen name. Won't see too many of the CH floating around. Welcome and enjoy this fine and friendly forum.

Reactions: athappyhiker

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Congrats on your new revolver.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome aboard. I picked up your revolver's twin a couple of months ago. I like the stock grips so I left them alone. Mine is a sweet shooter with a very nice trigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what it looks like now with new Pachmayr checkered wood grips. Gives a MUCH better hold on the gun; fuller, not slick, three finger grasp. Felt recoil is slightly less, but can manage it better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts