Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Model 85 38 special snub-nose but traded it off several years ago. I now own a new Model 856 38 Special snub-nose in stainless steel. In addition to the slightly larger cylinder diameter to accommodate that 6th round, are the frame dimensions the same as the model 85? Was the frame changed in anyway? If someone has both models and a micrometer, could you take the time to measure the width, frame height from top of trigger to top or frame, etc. to see if both the Model 856 and the Model 85 are indeed the same frame size. Apparently, from what I've read, the grips are the same.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Charter Arms Bulldog frame vs 856
My 856 uses holsters designed for Bulldog frame , Ruger Sp101 & Colt D frame

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, the 856 frame is larger than a S&W J-frame? I'm trying to fit the correct holster, so possibly a J-frame would be too small, especially with an upside-down clamshell shoulder holster?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Charter Arms Bulldog frame vs 856
My 856 uses holsters designed for Bulldog frame , Ruger Sp101 & Colt D frame
For what it's worth, my new 856 Defender is riding in a Simply Rugged pancake holster I bought for my Charter .44 Bulldog. Barrel's a tad long, as the holster was made for a 2.5" Bulldog.

So, the 856 frame is larger than a S&W J-frame? I'm trying to fit the correct holster, so possibly a J-frame would be too small, especially with an upside-down clamshell shoulder holster?
Cylinder is going to be the big difference.

If I get a chance I'll compare the Defender to my S&W 642.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you. Seems used holster sellers say the 2" 856 sounds too big for a J-frame holster yet others say it would ride loose in a Colt D holster. Just wonderin.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
I compared 856 to both Taurus 605 and S&W 642. (And to K-frame S&W Model 19.) Cylinder window is larger, no surprise. Frame, from topstrap to ahead of the trigger guard, where the crane hinges, is also larger.

So, 856 isn't just a j-frame size that they've shoehorned a larger cylinder into.

My Charter Bulldog is in service limbo, waiting to get a cylinder problem addressed, so I did not have that handy to compare.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Thank you. Seems used holster sellers say the 2" 856 sounds too big for a J-frame holster yet others say it would ride loose in a Colt D holster. Just wonderin.......
Wood Tool Font Everyday carry Two-way radio

Pic of my Charter Bulldog Police 6 shot 38
vs my 856UL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts