Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an older Taurus, Model 82, from the range yesterday. Beautiful condition, near perfect bluing, tight lock up and very accurate out to 10 yards with ball ammo.
Came with a nice leather holster marked "mexico" and then a serial number.
On the inside of the crane its marked H229, no idea what that means, any suggestions?
Near perfect copy of the Smith Model 10 with heavy barrel.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice. Should be late 70s manufacture. No grooves in the cylinder flutes, still a 5 screw model but I'll bet the firing pin is in the frame and not in the nose of the hammer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Should be late 70s manufacture. No grooves in the cylinder flutes, still a 5 screw model but I'll bet the firing pin is in the frame and not in the nose of the hammer?
Yes, the firing pin is in the frame not the nose of the hammer. Probably could use a new set of springs, single action is nice, double action is very heavy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Picked up an older Taurus, Model 82, from the range yesterday. Beautiful condition, near perfect bluing, tight lock up and very accurate out to 10 yards with ball ammo.
Came with a nice leather holster marked "mexico" and then a serial number.
On the inside of the crane its marked H229, no idea what that means, any suggestions?
Near perfect copy of the Smith Model 10 with heavy barrel.
Thank you
Your gun was made between 1985-1988.
The wide trigger was introduced in June,1985, for all models (initial serial number1920000). Before this date, wide trigger was used only in some models with adjustable sights.
From November, 1988, 6-shot revolvers has alphanumerical serial numbers.
The H229 is an assembly code used only inside factory

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your gun was made between 1985-1988.
The wide trigger was introduced in June,1985, for all models (initual serial numberg 1920000). Before this date, wide trigger was used only in some models with adjustable sights.
From November, 1988, 6-shot revolvers has alphanumerical serial numbers.
The H229 is an assembly code used only inside factory
Thank you for that information, its nice to have!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, the firing pin is in the frame not the nose of the hammer. Probably could use a new set of springs, single action is nice, double action is very heavy.
In my opinion, Taurus commited an error widening the trigger. Wide trigger is excellent for single action, but more difficult to work in double action.

Instead change the springs, I advise you to search by a pre-1985 trigger, thinner, that fits better the first joint of forefinger.

I worked with both versions in police duty. The old type of trigger is much better for quick double-action shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts