Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any experience or own a Taurus 82?

I have been looking into buying one, and would like some opinions on them.

Pros and Cons

jic

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
There are a lot of folks here on TA.net that love our 82's! A reliable, accurate, no frills revolver that works all the time - what's not to like! It seems to be comfortable for men folk with large hands as well as for myself, with arthritic smallish hands! Being a revolver appreciating person, I can think of no con's (well, if I was dreaming pie-in-the-sky here, I guess I could say that I would want one in shiny stainless!) :)

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Overall they're very similar to Smith & Wesson's K-framed Model 10 Military & Police.

That is a solid 100% reliable, accurate, plain Jane, bread and butter working gun, that will get the job done under any circumstances.

With a modicum of care they should last many generations.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did this end up in Rossi revolvers, I thought I put it under Taurus revolvers?

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I own a Model 82, as well. Plain as day, no frills, and no flash. All it does is shoot accurately and reliably. Where's the fun in that? :)

·
32,481 Posts
This is where this belongs. No harm and no foul.

The 82 has been a bread and butter gun for Taurus since 1971!!

I've got a stainless steel model that is only a few years old. It's part of the CCW carry rotation.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love mine, it's an early 2000's production. Like was said, dead nuts reliable, very simple, no sight to mess with.........it does the job and I think it's a darn good looking gun. No longer made in stainless, but the 65 is essentially the same gun in .357 and still made in blue and stainless.

Plus you can find them for $320 brand new, what's not to love. A little more and you can get a 65.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I love my 82.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have an 82, 4" in blue I picked up a couple of years back. It is my all time favorite handgun and a nice big brother to my wife's 85UL. It shoots nice especially at the range with 158gr-swc or 148gr wc. I carry 125gr XTP in mine. They are accurate, reliable, solid, and fun to shoot. I also have a S&W 15, which I also love, but prefer to carry my Taurus 82. Below is my youngest boy, who loves taking it out on range day.

troll.jpg
I went with the 82 over the 65, because:
1) I never shoot .357 rounds anyway.........
2) I have an unhealthy obsession with all things .38 spcl

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I love mine, it's an early 2000's production. Like was said, dead nuts reliable, very simple, no sight to mess with.........it does the job and I think it's a darn good looking gun. No longer made in stainless, but the 65 is essentially the same gun in .357 and still made in blue and stainless.

Plus you can find them for $320 brand new, what's not to love. A little more and you can get a 65.
Please tell me where I can find a new model 82 for $320! I bought one for just under $200 in 1978, but it's my mom's gun now. Do the new ones still have the firing pin on the hammer, or have they gone to a transfer bar mechanism?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is where this belongs. No harm and no foul.

The 82 has been a bread and butter gun for Taurus since 1971!!

I've got a stainless steel model that is only a few years old. It's part of the CCW carry rotation.
you mention you use it in your ccw rotation, does it have the 4'' or the 2'' barrel?

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's a couple on GunBroker with $340 Buy Nows, but if you really scour the Earth and the internet you can turn one up for a little less. After I bought my 82 (lightly used for $200) I saw brand new ones from online dealers for $320.
Taurus M82 38 Spl : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Might want to move on this one, $370 with free shipping, brand new. Not affiliated with the seller just trying to help out. The free shipping alone is worth the look, since unless you find one for sale at a gun shop, you're going to have to pay someone to ship. If you have a good dealer with a fair transfer fee you'd be in under $400 for a NIB 82.

Reactions: mwj999

·
32,481 Posts
you mention you use it in your ccw rotation, does it have the 4'' or the 2'' barrel?
It has a 4" barrel.

I've been using a discontinued Bianchi 100 made for the S&W 13. Bianchi has a model 6 nowdays.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call me an old fart that can't make up his mine, I traded my SAR B6P for a new Taurus 85. I decided on the 85 because that is what I had before I traded it for the B6P.

Another reason why I chose the 85 over the 82 is that the 85 is more compact and easier to carry concealed.

I have had four semi-auto piston now, and I still can make myself like them. I guess I'm just an old school revolver person

jic

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The model 82 is a great choice. I plan on adding one to my collection. Only deal breaker for me is the lack of adjustable sights.

I believe the 82 is standard issue sidearm for the Singapore and Indonesia police forces.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 4" model 82 Stainless with Hogue wood grip. It has over time graduated to my favorite primary carry. It NEVER FAILS! Its easy to clean, looks good, VERY accurate, goes BANG EVERY TIME! What else do you need? The only draw back is, with 2 speed loaders on strong side it is heavy.. But what would you expect from a tank?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts