Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If the Model 10 is in nice condition I would get it since you said it's less expensive than the Taurus (which is boggling my mind). My first service gun was a S&W Model 10 which I still have to this day. (And still use also) It never failed me.

Now here's my question---are you speaking of used or new guns? This was never clarified.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I purchased my Model 10 used and don't regret it at all. It's a 1981 3in barrel police trade in from australia. It's got holster wear but it's real tight. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at a good price. Most are right around $300 in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any S&W without the lock is the better of any comparable Taurus all else being equal in my experience. Now, if both guns have a lock on them, I'll take the Taurus hands-down. Their lock design is much simpler and less hideous.

·
32,803 Posts
Nothing wrong with the S&W 10s.
As has been recorded already most are turn ins and used.

There are excellent examples as well as poor ones out there. Been to a few gun shows lately and saw poor and very good examples. Same for a few local dealers.

I'd want a competent gunsmith to look the model 10 over before buying. May not need it if it's from a reputable source for used guns. Actually if the 82 is used inspection criterea for the model 10 apply as well.

Has the model 10 been used hard and is it going to need replacement springs and other parts?

As for the Taurus 82 there's alot going for it. Especially if it is new. Used aren't bad either.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3660.0

Then I have to admit to a certain bias. I do have three older 20+ years Taurus model 65,66, and a 85CH.
All of these are still giving sterling service. Cylinder lock is tight, cylinder indexing is excellent, no end play or shake,timing is still right and accuracy is still very good.

There are many threads on the excellent dureability and longevity of the Taurus models 65,66,689,669 and other .357 magnum revolvers, as wellas for the miriad of Taurus snubbies out there.

Either revolver will serve your needs well.

Both S&W and Taurus make great revolvers.
It's a personal choice. Good luck and happy shooting which ever way you go.

·
32,803 Posts
Jerry. We're all a curious bunch.
Let us know how the Taurus shoots if that's what you get.

Massad Ayoob and Chuck Karwan have written or write the Gun Digest of Combat Hangunnery. In past issues of this book they and those eho have been there and done that recommend Taurus revolvers for those who have to purchase their own guns for LEO or security duty.

Reasons why are published in there. Even Leroy Thompson who's a world class advanced shooting trainer in smallarms of many kinds has recommended Taurus in the past. Got most of their articles.
Taurus 82s are among the recommended revolvers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.