Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I've recently purchased this 6" model 76 from a seller on Gunbroker. He has listed and sold a handful of them this year. The one I purchased has stock wood grips, while all the others had black rubber. I've seen a few threads discussing these revolvers, and I really like mine and am reloading for it, but a few questions remain. My main question, if anyone can help me though: Date of production. The revolver does not have the usual import stamp of Brazteck, or Miami, but of the seller I purchased from. The serial number is XD186xxx, which from research indicates 2017? I originally thought that these were produced back in the late 90's or early 2000's. It appears that the serial number lookup feature through Taurus has been discontinued. Can anyone else who has one please comment on their serial number range and if they know when theirs was purchased new? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Picture added for reference. I will add that this revolver came in what appears to be the original box, with matching serial number, but with a generic Taurus owners manual, and appeared to be brand new with absolutely no wear aside from the extremely faint turn line on the cylinder. Thanks again for any help with gaining knowledge on it.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase of the beautiful model 76, tomsp8! I have a very similar gun, the model 761, which is chambered in .32 H&R magnum. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same gun.

My understanding is that the 761 replaced the 76, and as I recall, my gun is a very early 761; it actually says model 76 on the gun...but model 761 on the original box (both gun and box have identical serial numbers.) So my gun was a transitional gun as far as I can tell, possibly one of the first 761's, which would put it right at the end of model 76 production. I'm almost positive that my gun was made well before 2017. I bought it as an excellent condition used gun in 2018.

The original box is an older style cardboard unit in black with gold lettering, and I don't know when Taurus stopped using those boxes. LIke the gun, the box has seen little use, but is slightly worn around the edges due mostly to age, and says "Brasil" with an "S." It also came with a paper test target from the factory that's obviously worn from age. My impression is that my gun was made sometime in the 1990's, and yours would likely be before mine. This is speculation on my part, though - Taurus has no real equivalent to Roy Jinks at S&W.

The import mark on your 76 would suggest that it was originally sold in Brazil or some other country. Lots of the S&W K-38 Masterpieces - which were similar in format to your gun - were sold to gun clubs and competitive shooting teams in Europe, so that might explain the origins of your gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Rossi. (I also have a "thing" for Interarms imported Rossi revolvers). I just found a previous thread on here from a member Erick Tamberg, about 2 months ago (not sure how I missed it previously) that explains the serial numbers that begin with two letters, and that would make mine 2004 (XDxxxxxx). My thought was the gun seller/importer ran across a big batch of these just sitting somewhere down in Brazil for nearly 20 years and snatched them all up to import and resell in the states. My seller/import stamp is RGUNS of Illinois. And he was also selling some of the model 761's as well recently. Funny you mention the discrepancy of the model designation. I will double check my box tonight. I swear my cylinder seems very long for being chambered only for the .32 long....hmm...It is quite a jump for the bullet in the cylinder before entering the forcing cone.....I have an old 60's H&r in .32 long and it seems the cylinder is much shorter on it.....interesting!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my box is indeed marked model 76, as is the revolver. And I just now realized the born on date on the box....🙄... 2004. My cylinder measures 1.639....which seems rather long for. 32 swl ? How does your serial number compare to mine? And any chance of comparing your cylinder length to mine?
Calipers Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Food Recipe Cuisine Ingredient Material property
Calipers Bumper Tool Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, XD letters, indeed, means April, 2004. It matchs with the date on the box label.

This series has the same frame for .22 LR, .32 S&W Long and .38 Special calibers.

Some Brazilian hunters, in the 70´s ans 80´s, transformed Taurus 76 revolvers to chamber the .32-20 Winchester cartridge. It´s a very effective combination for small game, with flat trajectory and little meat destruction.

The number in the box means:

RT - Revolver Taurus (Portuguese use the reverse order when compared to English).
076 - Model
152 - Barrel length (152 milimeters = 6 inches)
CA = CArbon steel
AB = Alto Brilho (High Gloss)

MPSP711 - I dont´n know.

In December, 2003, an extremly restrictive gun law was approved by Brazilian Congress. Gun sells became much reduced and many gun stores went to bankrupt. It´s highly probable that your gun went from a bankrupt store.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
tomsp8, you scored a real beauty. Congrats on the fine acquisition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone who contributed to my knowledge base. I love older guns and the strange histories/stories that may go along with them. I'm really glad I picked this one up. The fit and finish seems very nice, and the deep glossy bluing is just beautiful. The timing and lock up seem to be spot on. I did remove the side plate and added some lubrication as it was somewhat dry. While I have not slugged the barrel, my cylinder throats measure .315. Since I am a handloader, my initial loads are with a lead 98 grain .314 diameter hollow base wadcutter with 1.7 grains of Bullseye. Around 750 fps, and pretty accurate. I intend to try a lead 100 grain semi wadcutter as well. Fortunately, I was given a couple hundred once fired cases designed for full wadcutters from a fellow match shooter at my club. I'm still surprised at the actual length of the cylinder, though. I'm hoping someone with a model 761 marked for .32 H&R, or another .32 SWL model 76 owner, will provide their cylinder length as a comparison.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, my box is indeed marked model 76, as is the revolver. And I just now realized the born on date on the box....🙄... 2004. My cylinder measures 1.639....which seems rather long for. 32 swl ? How does your serial number compare to mine? And any chance of comparing your cylinder length to mine? View attachment 482138 View attachment 482139 View attachment 482138
My Taurus 66 (.357 Magnum) has 1.634" cylinder length.

All Target series shares the same frame size. All cylinders for .22 LR, .32 S&W Long and .38 Special has the same size because the blank cylinders are the same. It becames different only after the chamber making.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts