Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, My name is joe and i am getting into my first revolver. i have much experience with 9mm pistols, .22 LR, and 12 gauge shotguns. I have been looking at many revolvers for hours now and i came down to final decision between two different brands the Taurus Model 66 with 6 inch barrel, or the Smith and Wesson model 686 6 inch barrel. I am leaning more towards the model 66 due to "price" concerns. if anyone can inform me about the model 66 if it is a good starter revolver or just any information that you have on it that would be great!!

Or any other suggestions for a starting revolver would be nice also.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have just gone through the same research you have.
I wanted a small (But not to small) .357 4" seven shot revolver to carry on my side while hog hunting.
99% of the time this gun will be used as protection from a wounded hog while tracking in the dark "After" some other club member (or me) makes a bad shot on a hog.
I bought the black model 66 from Buds gun shop and LOVE it!!!
I have shot about a box of 38's and a box of .357 mag ammo through it with NO problems! The trigger is great right out of the box.

Good luck with your new gun...............................

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hey guys, My name is joe and i am getting into my first revolver. i have much experience with 9mm pistols, .22 LR, and 12 gauge shotguns. I have been looking at many revolvers for hours now and i came down to final decision between two different brands the Taurus Model 66 with 6 inch barrel, or the Smith and Wesson model 686 6 inch barrel. I am leaning more towards the model 66 due to "price" concerns. if anyone can inform me about the model 66 if it is a good starter revolver or just any information that you have on it that would be great!!

Or any other suggestions for a starting revolver would be nice also.

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

The Taurus M66 revolver is one fine handgun, in my humble opinion, having owned one myself. The 7 round capacity and the adjustable sights are nice features.

The Taurus lifetime warranty is one of the many things that keeps me coming back to the brand.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Mine has the 4 inch barrel.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Hi MM and welcome to the TA forum from the plains of Iowa.
Like so many other members here, I own a M66. Mine is a 6" barrel with the old fashioned blued finish. The trigger is sweet as it comes out of the box and is supper accurate. I love the weight and balance of it too. All 66 come with adjustable sights and the 65 is identical except for having fixed sights. The Taurus grips were just fine but I opted of a fancy set of wood grips since I wasn't carrying it in the field to hunt hogs. It is my favorite handgun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi MM and welcome to the TA forum from the plains of Iowa.
Like so many other members here, I own a M66. Mine is a 6" barrel with the old fashioned blued finish. The trigger is sweet as it comes out of the box and is supper accurate. I love the weight and balance of it too. All 66 come with adjustable sights and the 65 is identical except for having fixed sights. The Taurus grips were just fine but I opted of a fancy set of wood grips since I wasn't carrying it in the field to hunt hogs. It is my favorite handgun!
have you ever used a 4" barrel i just kind of what to know if there is a difference at all?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
have you ever used a 4" barrel i just kind of what to know if there is a difference at all?
I have a 4", and I like it for a console gun. I had a 6 at one time that I used for a range gun. For target, plinking and sport shooting, I prefer the 6", but that two inches makes all the difference in the world if you wear the gun. Atleast for me. It is a great gun. I have a S&W and have had Ruger. There are things I really liked about all of them, but the Taurus has been my favorite shooter.

·
Administrator
35,923 Posts
I absolutely love my 4 inch stainless model 66. It would be a great first revolver for anybody.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with all the above posts. I have one with a 4 inch barrel and love it. I have 2 686's and they are great revolvers but for the money and your first revolver you can't go wrong with the M66. It isn't quite as heavy as the 586/686 (more like a Model 19) so it is a little less heft to carry.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Reactions: OLDONE and ETF

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
BTW, the versatility you get from a .357mag makes it one of the most fun guns to own!! From 38sp wad cutters to full house .357 flame throwers and everything in between. It's a favorite!!

·
9,541 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Can't go wrong with a mod 66 for a first revolver. Ruger GP100 is about $100 - $150 more and is also a great revolver. The Smith 686 is another $100 or so. Any of these three will do the trick. Enjoy your shopping.

My Gp100:
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Reactions: OLDONE

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree with all the above posts. I have one with a 4 inch barrel and love it. I have 2 686's and they are great revolvers but for the money and your first revolver you can't go wrong with the M66. It isn't quite as heavy as the 586/686 (more like a Model 19) so it is a little less heft to carry.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
I agree with everything you say except that, for me, the extra heft of the S&W 686 is somewhat more reassuring and comfortable. It's a mental thing. Don't get me wrong. The M66 is a good "piece" and it's what I carry when I'm out in the pasture tractor or UTV riding. It'll get the job done.

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
Both are good choices. I have the 4" Model 66 and am completely happy with it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Got a buddy who has over 30 revolvers of different makes and brands. He also has a couple semi-autos too, so to say he is a revolver guy, is like saying the sun rises in the east. When ever we go shooting together, he always asks me to bring the Taurus M66 revolver I own. It is a blued, 6" model and we normally go through some 38 SPL and 357 rounds during a shooting session. We are both very accurate with it and normally end up taking turns shooting at rifle targets from 7 yards, closest to the center wins. The things that we both agree on is the weight of the thing just balances right, the trigger is sweet, and the stock rubber grips couldn't be more comfortable. It was my first revolver and I have plans on a couple more revolvers for this year. Go for it and you will be glad you did.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.