Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a like-new model 66 with 6" barrel on an on-line auction, and bought it for $360 shipped. All the pictures were beautiful, but did not do it justice. The previous owner had added white paint to the sights, and did it very professionally. I don't often shoot .357 Mag, and today opted for Magtech .38 Special, semi-jacket.

The action was smoooooth! It compares favorably with a Colt Python. Yeah, seriously. Since it was a used gun, I don't know if it is "factory", or if it's been tweaked a bit. My shooting buddy also said it was as nice as his Python.

Off the bench with a rest on the gun rug, I could hold inside the 9 ring at 50 feet, in 15 mph wind. I usually only do that well with my Ruger Mk.III .22 pistol. The weight and balance of the 66 makes for really soft recoil with .38 Spl.

I'm not a Taurus "fan" per se, since I'm into month 3 waiting for my 94 to come back from Taurus (a 2012 prod'n), but I do give credit where it's due. And the 66 is a winner!

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
This really doesn't qualify for the "Taurus Problems" but would be more at home in the "Taurus Revolvers" section.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Yep-the 66 revolvers are great -and it sounds like you got an exceptionally good one! Congratulations-post a picture if you can. By the way, I have baby down in FL right now, too -3rd trip down, hope it's the last; good luck with your 94.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Administrator
35,159 Posts
I've got news for you - my 4'' model 66 is pretty awesome too. ;) Glad you like yours !

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I love my model 66 and so does a buddy of mine. To say he is a revolver guy is like saying the sun rises in the east! With over 30 handguns, less than 5 are not revolvers. He has so many manufactures and I love shooting with him cause it seems like he always brings something I haven't shot yet! Or at least I don't remember shooting it! He even had me shoot two guns that he hadn't even shot yet, but I digress. We are shooting again tomorrow, and the last thing he asked was 'Are you bringing your 357 Taurus?' and for the record, I only have one and that is my model 66.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
My model 66 is pretty nice as well. Now my oldest son discovered the joy of shooting it, I need to start reloading more for it.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
24,534 Posts
The Model 66 rocks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea Man,
you are right.
The 66 rock´s.
I´m a proud owner of this very good revolver.
Black and 6 inches long.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
You aren't the only one who loves the Taurus 66. Mine has been reliable, has a smooth trigger pull
and is the most accurate revolver I own. It is my favorite among the Taurus handguns I own. If
had to pick one Taurus handgun that I could keep it would be the Model 66. (the PT-92 and Raging
Bull would get some consideration though)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently found a like-new model 66 with 6" barrel on an on-line auction, and bought it for $360 shipped. All the pictures were beautiful, but did not do it justice. The previous owner had added white paint to the sights, and did it very professionally. I don't often shoot .357 Mag, and today opted for Magtech .38 Special, semi-jacket.

The action was smoooooth! It compares favorably with a Colt Python. Yeah, seriously. Since it was a used gun, I don't know if it is "factory", or if it's been tweaked a bit. My shooting buddy also said it was as nice as his Python.

Off the bench with a rest on the gun rug, I could hold inside the 9 ring at 50 feet, in 15 mph wind. I usually only do that well with my Ruger Mk.III .22 pistol. The weight and balance of the 66 makes for really soft recoil with .38 Spl.

I'm not a Taurus "fan" per se, since I'm into month 3 waiting for my 94 to come back from Taurus (a 2012 prod'n), but I do give credit where it's due. And the 66 is a winner!

Your description sounds like my 2014 Taurus M66 6 inch barreled. I shot mine for the second time today. I am even more impressed than the first time. Yes the trigger is smooth in single (crisp) and double action. I have not compared it to my Python yet but I think the double and single action is probably a bit smoother in the Colt, but I can say that a Trooper MK III has a very heavy 11-12 lb, trigger out of the box.
Not the Taurus out-of -the-box ! And yes it is accurate ! This revolver is definitely a sleeper !

Hope most all of these revolvers are like quality !

P.S. you got a killer deal ! I bought mine 'as-new' used for $100 more + dros (I live in a state with a gun roster and that one was no longer on roster= can't buy new, generally)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts