Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of looking and comparison, I've decided to purchase a Taurus Model 65, .357/38, 6 shot, 4". It's basically the same gun as the S&W Model 65. I really like the gun, the finish, etc. At first I was thinking about a 905, or another brand of 9mm revolver. I decided against it since I was after a 4" 6 shot revolver.

So, before I pull the trigger and do my purchase, I wanted to check in with y'all here on the forum and get your thoughts and experiences with the model 65.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think you'll regret it. The 65 and 66 are probably the two most solid guns Taurus makes - rugged design, great triggers, very few problems and they always go bang.

Only suggestion would be to look into a 66. It's a little more $$ but you get 7-round capacity and fully adjustable rear sights.

I was fortunate to pick up a 4" Model 66 when they still had the high-polish blued finish. Absolutely love that gun! I've let several of my friends shoot it with full .357 loads. Every one of them wound up with a big smile on their face!

Bob

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
Super Moderator
36,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I don't own a Taurus revolver, having the Rossi 462-2 instead. The .357 revolver is one of the most versatile guns out there and I hear mostly good things about the Model 65.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania ! Very good choice shoots point of aim and ours at 50 yards is center the size of a 8 inch plate.I have taken several deer with it over the years also,favorite load is 125 Jacketed soft point .

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you neither want nor need the adjustable rear sight then the Taurus Model 65 is a solid choice! When I was deciding on my most recent revolver purchase (sadly, that was some months ago:(), it came down to the 65 vs the 66. The adjustable rear sight is a bonus as is the extra round in the cylinder but for some reason my LGS was able to get the 66 for less $$ than the 65 :eek:. With that factor added, choosing the 66 was easy :). As mentioned in another reply, the 65 and the 66 are two strong performers in the Taurus line-up! I would highly recommend the SS option over the hideous matte black finish.

·
Premium Member
11,071 Posts
The model 65 is old tech Taurus. They've made them for 40 years, if not longer, and very rarely do you find a bad one. The only drawback to the current revolvers is the finish. As been stated before, stick to the matte stainless finish.

And welcome to the best gun forum on the net.:thumb:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome from Bastrop, Texas. I have a 65 and it is a very reliable revolver not a fan of the black finish tho.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I've got a 65 SS 4" I picked up a couple of years ago. Only shot enough to verify it's function, no problems.
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
32,530 Posts
I own a stainless steel 2.5" barreled version of the 65. It was my third Taurus revolver....back when dinos roamed the earth. Would you believe in the mid 1980s? It still purrs and is solid as a tank after all these years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts