Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2 Taurus Handguns, one pistol and one revolver. Happy with both.
I'm currently considering purchasing the # 4510 Tracker .45/410. Not sure if I should go for the 3" or 6 1/2" barrel, the blued or stainless ...etc....

Would appreciated hearing from anyone with hands on experience with the Tracker. I'm interested in accuracy, recoil, reliability etc.... I have looked at it and handled it several times at the gun store....feels nice........but how does it shoot?

FYI ...I have several handguns 22s, 38s, 357s, etc... So I'm not a novice....Have a concealed permit and "carry" on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the 3" blued.

It is not a weapon I'd recommend for carry. At the range I can hit hand tossed clays, but with no choke don't expect any range with the shot-shells. Firing .45 Long Colt or shells can get expensive. The gun has more of a backwards push then a recoil.

Any other specific questions?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Vaspringer, there are various threads on this gun here. You could either wander down the page (and don't forget the previous pages of threads in the Revolver section) and probably find some. Or there is as Search function in the upper right corner of the page that will likely turn up some results as well.

Steelheart

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 3in stainless steel version. I've had a lot of fun with it, both with shells and 45lc. I've had to send it back once for repair. I used Sellier and Belot 2.5in 000 buck shells, which I later found out are made to a slightly different (metric) standard than most other .410 shells. Anyway, after using a box or two of those (25-50 shells), the cylinder would occationally fail to rotate. The claw that engages the extractor to cause rotation was a little torn up, as well as the rotating hooks on the extractor. Those shells had to be forced very hard into and out of the chamber. Sent it back to Taurus, took about 10 weeks, but the claw had been reground and the whole gun factory cleaned (NO carbon on it at all when I got it back...wish I knew what solvent bath they were using). I wanted a new extractor but they didnt install one. Havent had a failure to rotate since I got it back. Anyway, stopped using those shells and pretty much use Winchester Super X now. The OD on them is slightly smaller than the S&B and they come in and out of the chamber much more easily. Never shot 45lc past 10 yards. Heard rumors that the bullets tumbled past that. I was shooting 6inch groups at 10 yards (45lc). That was standing, two handed...not bencrest, benchrest I'll estimate that I could have shot a 3 or 4 inch group at 10 yeads, but since I'll never defencively shoot a weapon from a benchrest, I almost never practice it. The 410 shells disperse very fast. I'll fill a 2 foot diameter circle with #4 shot or smaller at 5 yards, and about a 5 foot diameter circle at 10 yards. Not much energy at 10 yards though. I tried shooting clay pigions with it, but could only get that to work if I hand tossed the bird and fired up at about a 45 degree angle. Kinda fun though. Its a great home defence or car gun. Especially with one or two #4 shot shells followed by one or two 000 buck shells, followed by some 45lc. First couple wont go through drywall, but will hurt like hell at under 15 feet. If that doesnt get an attacker to turn and go away, the 3 pellet 000's dont have to be that close to do some real damage. Also a great snake gun if you're a hiker. Recoil's manageable, it's my gf's favorite gun to shoot. Oh, and it's really loud with the shotshells...not quite as loud as my plr-16, but that's a whole 'nother beast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I thought I' put .02$ worth in. I've had my 3" blued for 6 or 7 months now and it paid for itself last saturday - winchester #6 shot 3 yards and it dispatched a surly water moccasine with no problem. I don't think it would have bit me but, we don't need those snakes close to the house.
I like mine and carry it in a modified army .45 shoulder holster - works good for me. Plus on the tractor its out of the way and is readily accesseable with 3 #6s and 2 .45 colt rounds it serves well.
I carry it more than any of my other firearms. (But wish I had held out for stainless)

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts