Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a model PT99 that is serving me VERY well. I love it to death. I'd like to buy a new gun in .40 cal. Those of you out there with both the PT100/101 and the 24/7, which would you recommend and why?

Also, what is the difference between the 24/7 Pro and the 24/7 OSS?

·
Registered
123 Posts
See the video links in my signature for a full breakdown of the 24/7.

major differences between Pro and OSS are

ambi decocker / Safety
metal guide rod
extra inch of barrel
color differences
the OSS does NOT have the key lock (TSS) that the Pro has though. The pro doesn't have a decocker though either.

18.5 lb. recoil spring that cycles the slide faster, a heavy Match Grade 5¼' barrel and a stainless steel guide rod that adds just the right amount of front end weight for improved recoil control and rapid fire accuracy.
i was really sort of sold on the OSS and it does seem superior to the Pro model but i'm going to keep my pro until the 800 series comes out. It has an exposed hammer which i really would like. It's due out next year. See: http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/pistols.cfm

If you're not wanting to wait for the 800 series I would pick up the OSS unless you're concerned about size for Concealed Carry, then the Pro might be a better deal.

·
32,481 Posts
Here's something to think about.

You have the PT99. The PT100 series is the same in every respect except for caliber being a .40S&W. Similar controls and manual of arms for both pistols means that you are totally familiar with the gun and have very little to learn or get used to. Recoil is different but all other factors are the same. This is a major upside to this.

With the 24/7 there is getting used to a light DAO or similar style trigger pull and a totally different manual of arms. Yes , I know it is a DA/SA trigger, but it functions similar to a DAO in just about every way figuratively speaking. It will take more practice and effort on your part, but it can be done.

If the pistol is for discreet CCW or for hot weather conditions then the compact 24/7 or a PT940 traditional DA/SA triggered version could be carried.The PT940s controls are similar to the model PT99s.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=447.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1340.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1368.0

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1625.0

There are pros and cons to both models and which one fits you best would be the one to chose.Even thr full sized pistols can be carried under all CCW conditions if one wants to.

Belly bands, tactical shirts and jeans with holster pockets built in, Kramer Confidant holster undershirts, Thunderwear, and other holster carrying methods can work if one takes the opportunity to check out the various carry types and methods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LedJedi said:
the OSS does NOT have the key lock (TSS) that the Pro has though. The pro doesn't have a decocker though either.
What is a key lock?

LedJedi said:
i was really sort of sold on the OSS and it does seem superior to the Pro model but i'm going to keep my pro until the 800 series comes out. It has an exposed hammer which i really would like. It's due out next year. See: http://www.taurususa.com/whatsnew/pistols.cfm
It appears the 800 is a 24/7 with an exposed hammer. What is it about an exposed hammer that you think is better? I've never fired a striker gun, so I am clueless as to which would be better. I'd assume the hammer is better debugged (as its been around since the dawn of time) vs a striker that doesn't have a hammer to get snagged on clothing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Qwiks draw said:
There are pros and cons to both models and which one fits you best would be the one to chose.Even thr full sized pistols can be carried under all CCW conditions if one wants to.
I have no plans to carry CCW at present, so that isn't a consideration. My work has a "no firearms on the premises" policy, so that effectively prevents me from carrying.

I am very happy with the PT99, so the 100/101 is very appealing. But, I've seen rave reviews of the 24/7 too. Currently, I'm fighting another brand's .45 cal model, trying to get it shooting reliably, and DON'T want to go through this pain again.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
prickett, An exposed hammer gives you the option of thumb-cocking, like a dbl action revolver. That is if you have that extra 1/2 second to work with. Then , the gun is S.A. which means a shorter, lighter trigger pull. This would be more accurate for that longer shot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
prickett, An exposed hammer gives you the option of thumb-cocking, like a dbl action revolver. That is if you have that extra 1/2 second to work with. Then , the gun is S.A. which means a shorter, lighter trigger pull. This would be more accurate for that longer shot.
what he said.

and it's cooler too.

·
Administrator
17,586 Posts
I'll second What Qwiks draw said!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just noticed something that could be a decider for me. I was leaning towards a 100/101 and noticed the mag capacity seems to max out at 12 rounds whereas the 24/7 can go to 15 rounds. If so, 24/7 it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
prickett said:
I just noticed something that could be a decider for me. I was leaning towards a 100/101 and noticed the mag capacity seems to max out at 12 rounds whereas the 24/7 can go to 15 rounds. If so, 24/7 it is.
The 24/7 model 9mm holds 17+1 and comes with two magazines. They also have a 10+1 model... but why? :)

·
32,481 Posts
One can never have enough ammo. With that said it's time to get down to brass tacks.

Very few defense scenarios are going to need many shots fired.Chuck Taylor, Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, David Spaulding, Evan Marshall, Ed Sanow, and even Jeff Cooper all teach or have taught, that if one does not hit and stop an attacking criminal or criminals with the first few shots, subsequent rounds very well are going to be of no use in most scenarios. More ammo capacity does not equate good marksmanship or the need to send more multiple shots down range and the law of diminishing returns sets in.

In other words, If the scenario is not ended after a half dozen or slightly more rounds have been fired and one is still alive, the chances of ending the fight with more shots fired accurately is greatly against the person or persons who are defending themselves.

Physical and mental state and condition play into this.

One's state of mind is not going to improve over time in a prolonged battle.

There are exceptions to this, but very few.

The other side of the coin is that there are more multiple attacker scenarios then ever before. Not a great many, but they do happen.

Very rare are the occasions that there are more than 3 attackers.

There are good reasons why people carry the smaller capacity weapons. Rarely are many shots ever needed. Some spare ammo is normally carried by knowledgeable people anyway.

CCW guns are carried for protection, but also for convienence. Bulkier and larger guns are a hinderance to daily personal function, fatiguing to carry,and harder to hide discreetly.

This is why 5&6 shot snubbies and single stack pistols are popular for discreet carry.

There are too many documented cases by the above authors and writers of people using the high capacity handguns to make up for poor or mediocre marksmanship. They figure they have the "firepower" to deal with anything and will use the extra rounds to make up for the deficiencies of not being able to hit the criminals.

For liability and moral reasons one should be able to fire and hit, while being under extreme duress, the target or targets that need to be stopped.

There are those who think that nothing but a full size gun should be carried for CCW under all conditions. The larger guns are easier to draw and hit with over their smaller brethren. Longer sight radius, more heft,better grip area, better shot to shot recovery, and other reasons are the basis for this. Documented evidence suggests that this is correct. However one may not be able to carry the larger gun for various reasons. Or they may choose just to not do it.

The reason this is all being put down here is because the "want the most number of rounds in a shootable package" scenario has arisen with this thread.
So there are a lot of things to consider before getting the gun "with the mostest" as far as ammo capacity is concerned.

That's why single stack pistols or 5 or more shot snubbies, with spare ammo should be considered.

I do have several double stack pistols. Most often though the single stack pistols or a snubbie get carried.

PT111 Mil/pros do split the difference. Smaller package than even the .45ACP variants and yet hold as many rounds.

There is the 745 for those who want the smaller but potent package.

This is not to say that the double stacks are not to be considered or needed.There are many good reasons as well to have them.

·
Administrator
17,586 Posts
LedJedi said:
The 24/7 model 9mm holds 17+1 and comes with two magazines. They also have a 10+1 model... but why? :)
Some States restrict magazine capacity to 10 rounds, so even though the 17+1 model and the 10+1 model are essentially the same, those in States with magazine capacity restrictions must order the 10+1 model.

Getting back to the PT100/101 vs PT24/7, another ballistic consideration is that the PT100/101's longer barrel will extract more energy out of the .40 caliber cartridge that the PT24/7's shorter barrel. Energy reduction will be in the 5% to 10% range, depending upon load.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jwc007 said:
Some States restrict magazine capacity to 10 rounds, so even though the 17+1 model and the 10+1 model are essentially the same, those in States with magazine capacity restrictions must order the 10+1 model.

Getting back to the PT100/101 vs PT24/7, another ballistic consideration is that the PT100/101's longer barrel will extract more energy out of the .40 caliber cartridge that the PT24/7's shorter barrel. Energy reduction will be in the 5% to 10% range, depending upon load.
ahhh that's good to know.

so the longer the barrel the more efficient the energy exchange?

·
Administrator
17,586 Posts
LedJedi said:
so the longer the barrel the more efficient the energy exchange?
In general, yes, but Bullet weight and type of powder also factor in to the exact amount of energy lost.

However there can also be too much of a good thing. To further muddy the waters, I've found that sometimes a load shot from a 16 inch Carbine slower than shot from a 4.5 inch barreled handgun. The reason for that was that the faster burning powder had burnt itself out long before reaching the end of the barrel and actually provided drag to the bullet. A slower burning powder made more use of that longer barrel and provided more velocity than with the handgun barrel.

With the slower burning powders typically used to load the .40 S&W cartridge, there will be some loss between the longer and shorter handgun barrels.

·
32,481 Posts
A suggestion for anybody reading this thread. www.krause.com has "Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes. This book is chock full of info on ballistics, gun powder, and how ammo functions, all the worlds ammo and info on all these different types of rounds.

Easy to read and understand. Anybody can get a lot out of this material. Even those who may think they are "book challanged" as it were.

Check the reloading tab when what type of book comes up. Or go to firearms and check it out book by book.

I get a lot of use out of mine. Keeps us ignorant types a lot less so. ;D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LedJedi said:
I'm talking about the .40 cal specifically. Already have a PT99 with 17+1!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Qwiks draw said:
One can never have enough ammo. With that said it's time to get down to brass tacks.
Very thorough answer. Thanks for the info. I probably should have mentioned that the gun's purpose will be for competition, not self defense. My .45 will be retired to that role with its 10 round mags, and the .40 with the 15+1 will become my practical pistol choice.

·
32,481 Posts
That's o.k. prickett. We'll just be getting the soft noodle cat o nine tails and nerf bats out to flob you with. Say about 7ish on Friday be all right? ;D Just kidding of course. Our dungeon and torture vault are all virtual anyway. ;D

·
32,481 Posts
Ah yes. As far as the PT100 magazine capacity goes 11 cartridges total are all one can get into it. That's the way that is designed.

It may very well be that the magazine 24/7 version is longer in length than the PT100 to put the 15 cartridges in. If it is a case of newer mag design there is no way they can redesign the PT100 mag to take more ammo. The expense,time. and R&D that would be needed may not be worth the changes as far as Taurus is concerned. It may be impossible for a change for the PT100.

·
Administrator
17,586 Posts
You might also wish to upgrade your PT99's magazines as Mec-Gar has come out with 20 round magazines for it. They are slightly extended from the grip, about an inch, and the extension is tastefully done. They do not currently offer a .40 version for the PT100/101 for the same magazine, but it would not take much to put that same extension on a regular PT100 magazine.
http://www.mec-gar.com/

Also, there are CPMI magazine extensions that can increase the capacity of most any magazines. A lot of IPSC Competition shooters use them and I've used them on some of my PT92 magazines, for 3 extra rounds. http://cpmi-usa.com/accfirarm.htm I am not sure that they would work with the PT24/7, as the retention screw is in the back and might conflict with the heel of the grip in back of the magazine. But they will most certainly work with PT92/99's and PT100/101's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts