Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Wonder if you can help a newbie please.

I've just lightened the hamer spring and changed the trigger return spring on my Model 66 taurus, however that's not the problem... When I took the side plate off, the firing pin retaining pin popped out - I've put it back, but it is sitting slightly proud of the frame - is this correct or do I need to jiggle it around or some such to get it flush?

thanks in advance.

SolidSlug

·
8,902 Posts
Hmm. Not sure how taking side plate off - could have caused the firing pin retainer to drop out. Anyway you can take a pic of the pin , and maybe another pic with side plate off again? you must have had fun getting the springs on the shafts , it is hard to compress them. Here is a pic of my firing pin retainer pin and ball asm. This is from a Judge - but I think most Taurus revolvers are the same.

View attachment 66915

View attachment 66916

·
8,902 Posts
Sorry should have been a little more clear.The firing pin shaft has a cutout that has to be in the correct position before inserting retaining pin. As you can see from my pics above, the retaining pin does stick out when it is installed correctly. The pic below shows the pin shaft with cutout - basically the retaining pin goes through the cutout portion of the shaft.
View attachment 66917

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Silverstring

thanks for the pictures and advice - that is exactly how my retaining pins is sitting in the frame so looks like its OK - I was a bit concerned as its so loose in the hole, but that makes sense now I've seen the detail of the firing pin indent so thank you again.

image.jpg

As for it popping out in the first place, err yeah, that would be my fault... I used YouTube to show how to change the springs and when removing the side plate (tapping the frame with the rubber handle of a screwdriver) I was probably a bit too enthusiastic ... One final tap and off popped the plate and the pin dripped out (I had the gun relatively upright) - lesson learned the hard way as usual!

I got some wolf springs from midwayUK - interestingly, the hammer springs don't fit as the UK spec. 66 has a sort of cup and screw at the bottom of the hammer spring rather than just a plate and the wolf springs are too wide to fit in the cup - as it turns out the cup screws up and down to change the hammer spring tension anyway, so the wolf spring isn't necessary - although again I found this out the hard way (with sore fingers from trying to compress the Woolf spring further than it would go) so I refitted the factory spring, but dialled it down to around 11-12lb DA And about 4lb SA - the trigger return spring went in fine and that has sharpened the trigger up nicely, haven't been to the range yet as I wanted to double check the retaining pin before anything bigger than a snap-cap went through it!

image.jpg

thanks again

solidslug

Attachments

·
8,902 Posts
Oh I didn't know it had an adjustable screw. I know there are many folks that say to use the tap tap method to remove the side plate. My AGI training video the gunsmith just sticks a screwdriver under it and snaps it out. I may try the tap tap next time. I do use the tap method when working on Smiths and is an absolute must on the Colts I worked on. The Colt side plates are fitted so well the screwdriver method won't work without possible damage. But My Judge plate isn't nearly as tight fitting. I am glad we figured out the pin issue. Now go put some rounds through that beauty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent today shooting steel plates and managed to get through 500 rounds :) - thanks for all your help and also I forgot to say a big thanks for actually dissassembling your own gun to show me - above and beyond!

solidslug

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
Well that is interesting. His 66 has an adjustable hammer spring tension and mine is fixed. Hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems it's just about the only thing it's got going for it compared to the standard Taurus's you can own in the states - I would gladly swap my adjustable hammer spring for a shorter barrel!

solidslug

Attachments

·
8,902 Posts
Holy Cow - that is one long barrel. You almost need a tripod mounted on it. Glad I was able to help.

Reactions: Solidslug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Cow - that is one long barrel. You almost need a tripod mounted on it. Glad I was able to help.
You have to ask yourself why have I got the red dot sight when I could probably just poke a hole in the target with the end of the barrel :) - UK Law - minimum 12" barrel unfortunately

·
8,902 Posts
Sorry about the UK law situation. I guess they want to be sure you can't carry it for self defense. Your right you could use it as a club. But it is still a beautiful gun.

Reactions: Solidslug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry about the UK law situation. I guess they want to be sure you can't carry it for self defense. Your right you could use it as a club. But it is still a beautiful gun.
Thanks for that comment - I moan about being forced to have a long barrel and 8" wrist brace sticking out the back, but to be honest I love it to bits and when the sights are lined up it doesn't matter whether the barrel is 2 or 12 inches long! It's still a .357magnum revolver and I'm still shooting it in the UK thanks entirely to Taurus who make this firearm exclusively for the UK market - good on you Taurus!

as to the reason for the long barrel - this is simply politics at its worse - tony Blair wanted to ban handguns, but rather than write that into the law, they tried to be clever and banned any firearm less than 24" long with a barrel less than 12" thinking that was the same thing - well, the buntline special proved them wrong straight away and Taurus went one better with this model 66and its brethren that we can get in ..22, .357, .44, and .45ACP

solidslug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts