Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taurus P145 vs. Ruger P345 Decision Made!!!!

I'm getting ready to replace my .45 cal. It's an old high point .45 which supringly for a cheap gun, shoots well and is accurate. I just bought my first revolver and first Taurus, M85UL. I really like this revolver, allot. I also have two Rugers, the P95 9 MM, and the SR40, both of which I like shooting, allot. I'm looking at either the Millennium Pro 145, or the Ruger P345. I like the size of the Millennium Pro 145. I've never owned or shot a Taurus Semi Auto. I also like that the Millennium Pro 145 is about 100.00 less than the Ruger. Rugers come in a nice case, with a speed loader and two magazines. I have bo idea what the Millenium 145 Pro 145 come in or what is included in the package.

So, those who own the Pro 145, how do you like yours? How is it to shoot? I'm probably going to buy one this weekend, so if could share with me aboout your experience with the Taurus I'm looking at, I would appreciate it.
Thanks Y2

·
32,628 Posts
The two guns are made for different applications.

The PT 145 is made as a compact gun for CCW carry. Here's the specs on the PT145.
Model: 145SSP Finish: Matte Stainless Steel Status: Available
Caliber: .45 ACP Grips: Checkered Polymer UPC: 7-25327-31134-8
Capacity: 10 +1 Weight: 22.2 oz Rate of Twist: 1:12"
Barrel Length: 3.25" Construction: Polymer/Steel Height: 5.125"
Frame: Compact Width: 1.25" Action: DA/SA
Front Sight: Heinie Length: 6.125" Grooves: 6
Safety: Firing Pin Block,Manual Safety,Manual Safety,Trigger Block Trigger Type: Smooth Order #: 1-145039P
MSRP: $498.00 Rear Sight: Straight-8 Grooves Turn: Right

With just over a 3 inch barrel the PT145 was made similar to a Colt Officer's model and has that kind of mission. It could be used as a primary sidearm, but the short barrel makes expansion of a JHP bullet very iffy. This means a loss of much needed bullet velocity needed for JHP bullet expansion.

The Ruger 345's specs:

Caliber: .45 Auto
Barrel Finish: Stainless
Grip Frame: Black Polymer
Sights: Adjustable 3-Dot
Capacity: 8+1
Width: 1.23"
Weight: 29.00 oz.
Barrel Length: 4.20"
Length: 7.50"

345s have a barrel length just a tad over 4 inches in length. The specs make this pistol out so that it can be primary sidearm or for CCW purposes, but does not have the ammo capacity of the PT145. The specs for this gun make it a flatter proposition for being able to hide it if used for CCW carry.

The butt of the PT145 is fatter making it a bit harder to hide. This is true for any double stack semi-auto pistol.

It's been thoroughly documented that a 5 inch barreled gun for a .45ACP will a vast majority of the time have the JHP bullet expand and dynamically.

With a 4 inch barrel it's a case of most of the time.

With a 3 inch barrel things are on the whoa Nelly, more than likely, not to have any bullet expansion band wagon.

One of the guys who found this out and documented it is none other than Massad Ayoob. Others of his caliber have done the same thing. They observed this and reported on the facts.

Both Ruger and the Taurus are fine guns, but also have two different trigger types.

Shooting a compact .45 ACP pistol and can be a tough nut to crack. That is be consistently proficient with it. It takes more practice,time,and dedication to stay proficient with it. It can be done or there would not be the legion of PT145 fans there are here.

The Ruger 345 is a typical double action for the first shot and single action for each shot after that until the magazine empties. Staying proficient with it and having bullet expansion pretty much for sure goes to the 345. Not written in stone.

If you need a CCW mostly carry gun then the PT145 gets the nod for most conditions and situations. It carries more ammo and a second mag gives one 24 rounds. All total round count of 25. Could be important to you. It might be.

Want a slimmer gun for carry? The 345 gets the nod.

Depending on hand and finger measurements either might fit you and your needs better.

Are you used to trigger systems like the PT145 or the Ruger? Whichever you have had more experience and time with is also a consideration to go with. For example, it took me a quite a while to get used to the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro trigger.

I was used my Ruger P95 and P97 triggers that are like the 345's. I had to rethink and readjust how to shoot. SA/DA triggers take some time and experience to get things down. If I go back to the Rugers the mindset and shooting methods have to change to accomodate the Rugers.

Yes, the Ruger carries only 8 rounds, but if it fits you and your needs better than that is the gun to go with.

Try them both out and go with what works the best for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two guns are made for different applications.

The PT 145 is made as a compact gun for CCW carry. Here's the specs on the PT145.
Model: 145SSP Finish: Matte Stainless Steel Status: Available
Caliber: .45 ACP Grips: Checkered Polymer UPC: 7-25327-31134-8
Capacity: 10 +1 Weight: 22.2 oz Rate of Twist: 1:12"
Barrel Length: 3.25" Construction: Polymer/Steel Height: 5.125"
Frame: Compact Width: 1.25" Action: DA/SA
Front Sight: Heinie Length: 6.125" Grooves: 6
Safety: Firing Pin Block,Manual Safety,Manual Safety,Trigger Block Trigger Type: Smooth Order #: 1-145039P
MSRP: $498.00 Rear Sight: Straight-8 Grooves Turn: Right

With just over a 3 inch barrel the PT145 was made similar to a Colt Officer's model and has that kind of mission. It could be used as a primary sidearm, but the short barrel makes expansion of a JHP bullet very iffy. This means a loss of much needed bullet velocity needed for JHP bullet expansion.

The Ruger 345's specs:

Caliber: .45 Auto
Barrel Finish: Stainless
Grip Frame: Black Polymer
Sights: Adjustable 3-Dot
Capacity: 8+1
Width: 1.23"
Weight: 29.00 oz.
Barrel Length: 4.20"
Length: 7.50"

345s have a barrel length just a tad over 4 inches in length. The specs make this pistol out so that it can be primary sidearm or for CCW purposes, but does not have the ammo capacity of the PT145. The specs for this gun make it a flatter proposition for being able to hide it if used for CCW carry.

The butt of the PT145 is fatter making it a bit harder to hide. This is true for any double stack semi-auto pistol.

It's been thoroughly documented that a 5 inch barreled gun for a .45ACP will a vast majority of the time have the JHP bullet expand and dynamically.

With a 4 inch barrel it's a case of most of the time.

With a 3 inch barrel things are on the whoa Nelly, more than likely, not to have any bullet expansion band wagon.

One of the guys who found this out and documented it is none other than Massad Ayoob. Others of his caliber have done the same thing. They observed this and reported on the facts.

Both Ruger and the Taurus are fine guns, but also have two different trigger types.

Shooting a compact .45 ACP pistol and can be a tough nut to crack. That is be consistently proficient with it. It takes more practice,time,and dedication to stay proficient with it. It can be done or there would not be the legion of PT145 fans there are here.

The Ruger 345 is a typical double action for the first shot and single action for each shot after that until the magazine empties. Staying proficient with it and having bullet expansion pretty much for sure goes to the 345. Not written in stone.

If you need a CCW mostly carry gun then the PT145 gets the nod for most conditions and situations. It carries more ammo and a second mag gives one 24 rounds. All total round count of 25. Could be important to you. It might be.

Want a slimmer gun for carry? The 345 gets the nod.

Depending on hand and finger measurements either might fit you and your needs better.

Are you used to trigger systems like the PT145 or the Ruger? Whichever you have had more experience and time with is also a consideration to go with. For example, it took me a quite a while to get used to the Taurus PT111 Mil Pro trigger.

I was used my Ruger P95 and P97 triggers that are like the 345's. I had to rethink and readjust how to shoot. SA/DA triggers take some time and experience to get things down. If I go back to the Rugers the mindset and shooting methods have to change to accomodate the Rugers.

Yes, the Ruger carries only 8 rounds, but if it fits you and your needs better than that is the gun to go with.

Try them both out and go with what works the best for you.
Thank you very much, I'm looking for a carry Semi Auto, and to range shoot. I do like he trigger release on the Rugers. I bought the M85UL for carrying purpose, but I want to get rid of my hi point and get a new 45. Allot to think about, what's the recoil like on the PT145? Both of my Rugers have minimal recoil. I like the way my M85UL shoots as well. Like I said, I've never shot a Taurus semi-auto. I guess I'll check at my range to see if they rent them out. The dealer I deal with has the Millenium Pro 145 for 379.00 , the Ruger for 509.00, and they are not in stock...lot's to think about, thanks again for all the info!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with the PT145 and you won't be disappointed...;)
I take it you like yours??? Yeah, they ar allot less expensive and I do like the size. Will post my decision on here, leaning towards the PT145 at this point, Thanks for your response

·
32,628 Posts
The PT145 has a dual recoil spring system to tame recoil. The polymer frame helps with recoil absorbtion as well. However recoil is brisk but not over bearing.

I'll let the actual PT145 owners tell you more about it.

I've had some experience with them, but not as much as the others.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
I own both. I replaced the Ruger with the Taurus for carry. It's just that much better for that purpose. The Ruger, is ideal for range use and home defense, being more of a duty sized firearm. Both are great handguns! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I have both guns and I really like both!!....but.....the PT145 will conceal so much better than the Ruger..Like mentioned earlier the handle on the Ruger is just bigger and a lot harder to conceal...and my Ruger will stovepipe a round every once in a while, but it still shoots real good....still my vote is for the Taurus PT145!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck on your hunt and wish the best for you.

Whatever you pick we will celebrate with you on that pick. :)
Thank you sir, I appreciate all the info. I didn't know about the dual recoil spring system on the PT145. I know in a gun that size, it's going to have some recoil, bit I had a Kel-Tec PF9, and it was awful. I had bought it to conceal carry, bought I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the recoil, and I'm not a bad sot. I traded it on the Riger P95. Hated the Kel Tec. Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own both. I replaced the Ruger with the Taurus for carry. It's just that much better for that purpose. The Ruger, is ideal for range use and home defense, being more of a duty sized firearm. Both are great handguns! :thumb:
I'm looking for carry purposes, but I like to shoot at the range too. Thanks for the input!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have both guns and I really like both!!....but.....the PT145 will conceal so much better than the Ruger..Like mentioned earlier the handle on the Ruger is just bigger and a lot harder to conceal...and my Ruger will stovepipe a round every once in a while, but it still shoots real good....still my vote is for the Taurus PT145!!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! Yeah my P95 had some ,isfeeds the second time at the range, ramp was caked. My best friend used it for his Conceal carry class and they didn't teach them how to clean a gun. My bad for not taking a good look at it before I took it to the range...lol. Gave it a good cleaning and it fired fine. Never a problem with the SR40. Thanks so much for your input!!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Like some of the others I also had both, I sold my P-345 for 2 reasons. 1. The gun just didn't fit me right and wasn't the best for concealment. 2. The P-345 holds 8+1 if I remember correctly and the PT-145 is 10+1. To some the round count doesn't matter much but it does to me. Glad you are getting a new gun!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like some of the others I also had both, I sold my P-345 for 2 reasons. 1. The gun just didn't fit me right and wasn't the best for concealment. 2. The P-345 holds 8+1 if I remember correctly and the PT-145 is 10+1. To some the round count doesn't matter much but it does to me. Glad you are getting a new gun!
Yeah, I'm glad too. It's great to hear from people who have had both. I'm leaning real hard towards the PT 145 as it looks like it is the on that meets my Concealed carry requirements. I'll be goingto my gun shop I deal with either tomorrow or Friday and walking out with one. Will post what I get

·
Registered
250 Posts
To my suprise, the recoil wasn't bad at all such a small pistol. I think that part of it is that the slide has less mass slamming reward than, say, a 1911.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I own both... my Ruger is a range gun... my PT145 is a defend my life gun.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I own both... my Ruger is a range gun... my PT145 is a defend my life gun.
Thanks, I'm going to go look at one tomorrow!!!! The PT145 that is, I can get the Ruger at a later date

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To my suprise, the recoil wasn't bad at all such a small pistol. I think that part of it is that the slide has less mass slamming reward than, say, a 1911.
I'm really glad to hear that, going to look at one tomorrow!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, went to the shooting range, tried both, then went to the gun shop I deal with, and bought my first Taurus Semi Auto. I bought the P145. Love the pistol, feels good in the hand and I can shoot it well. Thanks for everyones advice, it really helped allot!!!! I cheated though, I really liked the Ruger P345, and they didn't have them in stock, so I put 20.00 down for them to save for me when they come, which should be right around the time I get my tax return!!! That will be a range gun. So, I'm buying both, can't have too many guns can you???? LOL...I traded in the Hi Point 45 so tax title out the door with 50 rounds of ammo, 289.00
Thanks again everyone, your input as it was was well thought out and I used it to help make my decision. If they had the Ruger in stock I would have bought the PT45 first anyway!!!! This will be my concealed carry weapon with My Taurus M85UL 38SPL.
Robert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts