Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I figured this would be a good place to ask why Taurus is using aluminium rails. The reason I ask is because steel on aluminium doesn't seem like a good idea. All of you who have this gun know how the aluminium is shaved off with repeated use. Is it to save weight? I would gladly carry a few more ounces with the steel rails.

Also, does anyone know if Taurus is planning on using steel rails in the future? If not, does any company manufacture aftermarket steel rails?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with the observation that the steel slide does shave off a little bit of the aluminum rails. Not by much, though. And there seems to be no additional wear on the rails after the first hundred rounds.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My 945 from the year 2000 is an aluminum lower built off the 92/99 series with a stainless steel slide that I bought used. I've got over 1200 rounds through it in my time of ownership, and notice no excess wear or damage to the rails at all. I just make sure I keep any extra grit and residue from building up on the rails, and I also apply a light coat of synthetic wheel bearing grease to the inner rails of the slide with a cotton swab, rack it a few times to push out any excess, disassemble and wipe away the stuff that gets pushed out. As long as a gun is maintained properly, you should have thousands of rounds in shooting pleasure. The aluminum rails should be the last of your worries, I'd be more afraid of these new polymer revolvers with steel cylinders spinning through them since we definitely know hot metal and plastic don't usually mix well.

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
I agree, it's probably to save on a little weight. My rails have a few shiny, worn through the finish spots, but after 3,000+ rounds, I can't tell it's worn anymore since it became what I considered broken in. Unless you're finding a lot of shavings, I'd consider it a non-issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have found that it is rather common for a burr to form in the slide that will chew up the right frame rail. After having the burr removed a few times it hasn't caused anymore damage to the rail. 068.JPG

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Colt has been making the steel slide/aluminum framed "Commander" since 1949, (63 years).

If this was a bad engineering concept it wouldn't have survived with such a cult following all these years.

Nothing to get your nickers in wad about. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts