Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

New guy here. Nice site. Just got my 2nd PT145. First one I had was great. This second PT145 I had a few issues with. After about 300 rounds, the issues seem to have stopped. Great little gun at a great price.

A lot of folks seem to have issues with these gun so I thought I'd post my personal experience on the issues and how they were resolved by shooting, cleaning and leaving the slide locked back overnight.

NCHunter

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA. Nice Vid

Old Coot with Guns.gif

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio! Great videos. In regard to your magazine nose diving - PT145 mags generally take some break-in before they'll act right. I usually take mine and fully load them, unloading and reloading several times a day leaving them fully loaded in between. Loading and unloading helps to weaken the springs a bit, and leaving them loaded helps the springs to take a set. I think it also helps to spread the mag lips out a bit, which tend to be a bit too tight when they're new. Best medicine for a PT145 is to shoot it - as you've already discovered. :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the #1 handgun forum!

As a new member of TaurusArmed.net, you now have an enormous amount of Taurus information and personal experiences, literally, at the end of your fingertips.

Thanks for just jumping right in and sharing your shooting videos with us.

I've owned two MilPros, and I feel they are one of the finest lines of "carry" pistols that Taurus makes.

[/SIZE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome. The more I shoot and "fondle":smile: this gun the more I like it. It really does fit like a glove. Might have to pick up a 9mm and 40 in this lineup.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Mine are .380 and 9mm...but someday I hope to eventually own a PT145 or PT745.

·
Registered
31,743 Posts
The PT145 is an amazing hand cannon. To me, it is amazing in .45 acp, more so than any other caliber. Great accuracy for a compact .45 and great capacity also. Mine is a 2nd generation and has been great from the get go.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Nice videos. Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I truely believe that, aside from their 1911, the PT145 is the finest 45acp that Taurus makes. I've had mine since 08 and it works like a champ. I carried mine regularly until last year when my clothes started to shrink and my IWB holster didn't fit anymore. Guess I'll have to get a belt holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the welcome! Great site you have here. Just a heads up, I removed the first video since the voice over was so low. I'll redo it and then re-post it.

Yep, this is a great little gun. I mean 10 rounds of 45 ACP in such a small package. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I'm out and about. ;)

Hopefully, I will never have to use it, but if I do, the bad guy is going to have a bad day. :guns:

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time here. I just got a used PT145. Have not shot it yet, but did break it down and it was filthy and still had shipping grease in it. I gave it a good cleaning along with the mag chamber etc. I have been reading a lot about mag/chambering problems. I plan to put a few hundred rounds through it since I feel this clears up most of those kind of problems. I also only buy Harleys and cars that have bukoo miles on them. My question is "Does this gun do well with hollow points?" I heard it doesn't like them. Any way to modify the feed ramp?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
"Does this gun do well with hollow points?"
It should. Mine will swallow anything I feed it.

Any way to modify the feed ramp?
The short answer is "no." 45 ACP's are unsupported on the rear bottom, and if too much is unsupported you can get case ruptures. Grinding or polishing too aggressively can eat away at the top of the ramp and create an unsafe condition. About the only thing I'll do with a ramp is light polishing, and I'm very careful around the top of the ramp.

'Course before you start fixing things it's a wise idea to find out what's wrong first. A lot of times a FTF that looks like a rough ramp or chamber top can actually be caused by a too-tight extractor. And if that's the case I don't care how much polishing you do on the ramp, it won't fix an extractor. It might tear up the ramp, though. The first step is VERY careful observation of the malfunction. Where is the nose of the round? In the chamber? On the ramp? Nose down into the mag? Those FTF's look similar, but they can have very different causes. And you're absolutely right about running several hundred rounds through it - breaking it in will solve the majority of the common problems.

·
Administrator
35,159 Posts
Your PT145 should feed hollowpoints just fine. Mine has never jammed or failed to fire in any way with hollowpoints. I've had it since around 2007.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts