Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video about a week ago of a man taking the pro pistol, running it over with his truck, and burying it in the sand. He then took the pistol out of the sand and fired it without any problems.

My question is does anyone happen to know where that video might be viewed? I want to say it was on PDTV, but I have no idea where. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frosty

Administrator
Personal Defense TV sounds right. They do all those torture tests you know. I haven't seen this one. If they have a site, which I'm sure they do, thats where I would start lookin'. :thumb: :angel:

Premium Member
I found a June 2007 article in Guns & ammo TV site, that did that test on a 24/7, but did not find the video. PDTV showed nothing like that. I know Guns & Ammo does torture tests, but I did not find a video of any for the PT.

Registered
well i'd take that with a grain of salt..

1. it seems to be produced by taurus.

2. it did'nt show the sand and mud test, the jeep test was on gravel which is much more forgiving then concrete because i would imagine it's gravel over dirt.. so it can spread out..

i have been thinking about a mil pro my self, it does look like a good CC gun but this video does'nt hold much weight with me.

now if anyone can come up with that guns and ammo video or other 3rd party torture test that would be interesting.

Registered
Tom Greshham of PDTV has another site, Gun Talk Radio, the web site has lots of archived broadcasts about firearms and gun rights, some video too, at:

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php

He's got a contact link too and would probably be happy to answer your question as to whether he did the video and where to find it, he's a big fan of Taurus firearms.

Registered
joe sixpack said:
well i'd take that with a grain of salt..

1. it seems to be produced by taurus.

2. it did'nt show the sand and mud test, the jeep test was on gravel which is much more forgiving then concrete because i would imagine it's gravel over dirt.. so it can spread out..

i have been thinking about a mil pro my self, it does look like a good CC gun but this video does'nt hold much weight with me.

now if anyone can come up with that guns and ammo video or other 3rd party torture test that would be interesting.
My goodness!! What are you planning on doing with the gun?? I doubt mine will every be thrown in the mud, sand or gravel, or even ran over with a truck.

Registered
I've listen to almost all of Tom Greshams shows on podcast and now that I've caught up listen Monday to his Sunday show, I've never heard him recommend any Taurus pistols, the Judge he'll talk about, he'll talk to Dick Morrision (Taurus CEO) quite often. Taurus sponsors the show, but when someone wants a recommendation its almost always XD or M&P.

I understand him not wanting to seem overy bias towards his sponsors, but I would think the could throw out Mill Pro or 24/7 as an option to the XD & M&P once and a while, he even refered to them fairly recently as DAO with a heavy trigger pull.

David

Registered
jlentz said:
My goodness!! What are you planning on doing with the gun?? I doubt mine will every be thrown in the mud, sand or gravel, or even ran over with a truck.
i think you missed teh point.. not that i plan on doing any of that with the gun but that THEY! make this claim in the video.. not me.. yet only show the truck test and pointing out that dirt road covered in gravel will disperse and spread out lessing the brutality of the test on the gun.

it's call BS.. and i smell it..

i still like the size of the gun for CC and am interested in one if i can find a good deal.. but this video does'nt convince me that it can really stand up to that.

to put it another way that video as a sells pitch falls flat on it's face with me.

Registered
Don't know about the Mil Pros or 24/7's but I've seen a handful of Glock 19's run over on NYC pavement (no give there). The polymer frame did not crack in any instance. The worst that happened was the base pad for the magazine popped off.

Not saying a 24/7 or Mil Pro couldn't survive---just never seen it firsthand.

Registered
While these types of tests impress some, I'd take more comfort in knowing my PT145 would simply fire reliably through a box of ammo than I would thinking I could run it over with my truck before attempting to shoot an attacker. If Taurus is indeed behind the video, I submit that we would be better served by them spending their time on QC and design rather than entertainment.

While I like the price point and features my single Taurus purchase provided, my experience, and that of many of the contributors on this site, drive me to recommend the PT145 as an economical recreational implement, but certainly not one for reliable defense.

Registered
To each his own----I trust my PT145 with my life.

Registered
I thought it was a pretty cool video. If it was produced by Taurus, I'm sure it was to send the message that they can compete with the "rugged" reputation of Glocks. Personally, I'm pretty sure my PT140 won't ever have sand dumped into it or be run over. But if it still shoots after all of that, then great! They had me sold on their "Strike-two" feature in the trigger mechanism. Does any other manufacturer have that?

Registered
jackson713 said:
They had me sold on their "Strike-two" feature in the trigger mechanism. Does any other manufacturer have that?
SIG

Registered
Colorado Mike said:
While I like the price point and features my single Taurus purchase provided, my experience, and that of many of the contributors on this site, drive me to recommend the PT145 as an economical recreational implement, but certainly not one for reliable defense.
My experience has been quite the opposite. I carry my PT145 with great confidence and trust it with my life. I have shot many, many rounds through it with no problems.

I also think that a subcompact pistol will never be a "recreational implement". This particular pistol was designed to be a CCW and that's what it is. Granted, the first and second gen models have had their share of issues, but the third gen is dead on. Anyone considering purchasing this for their personal protection should not think twice. The PT145 has been an excellent choice for me.

Administrator
Mine has proven to me, that it is reliable for defense (PT145). It goes with me daily. And I do occasionally find it enjoyable recreationally as well. That's how it proved itself to me. So I give it :thumb: :thumb:!

Super Moderator
Here's the link to personal defense TV. That was Dick Metcalf a highly respected column writer, yes he did have input on the 24/7 but his credentials are impeccable. !
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/pdtv/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts