Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone is looking to find replacement sights for the Millennium Pro (and presumably the other PRO dovetail versions)... here are the measurements.

The rear sight has a bottom dovetail width of .370" and a depth from bottom of dovetail to top of slide of .110"
The front sight has a bottom dovetail width of .300" and a depth from bottom of dovetail to top of slide of .070"

So when shopping for sights, a sight of these dimensions or slightly larger for hand-fitting should work.

Given the rear sight dimensions, I would think that any 3/8" dovetail sight could be made to fit by just removing some metal from the bottom of the sight until it fits.

Here is what I have discovered so far from "skunking" around for dovetail dimensions for various brands of guns

Rear Sights

CZ 75/85 (New model)
BROWNING HP SPORT
TAURUS PT 92, 58, 100
BROWNING GP Vigilante, MKIII, Practical, .40S&W.376

Front Sight
This looks interesting since it is the only one I have found so far with the exact width of dovetail

STI/SV factory sight with standard dovetail cut .300x.060x60 degrees

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was just putting a measure to mine 5 min before reading this post. I'm going to put a caliper on them tomorrow.

These factory sights suck, my only complaint of the gun. I'm very new to shooting but it seams you should be able to see your poi. Do the high-dollar night sites correct the low shooting problem? Even if they do I think $100 is too much for a feature I don't feel I need.

My freind has cnc mill and if I can find the right cutters I'm going consider producing some sets or possibly just rears.

I would be more inclined to do this if at least all the mil pros are the same, if not more taurus models, so I can make some of the money back spent on time, tools, etc.
I would probably send out a few free sets for r&d. They would be billet aluminum and could be made at various heights and affordable enough to purchase multiple heights. You guys think there is enough interest? If so I can get the ball rolling.

Thanks
Joe

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
BTW, as far as I've been able to tell, and logic tells me, all the Taurus dovetail sights should be somewhat similar.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a set of rear sights similar to the Extreme Duty adjustable Low Profile Novak sights would be an immediate quick sell... especially with a white dot system to turn the guns back into a three dot system. I have installed a HiViz front sight and got an excellent POA/POI. However, most guys would love to have an adjustable rear for different loads if it could be kept small and carry friendly.

PS... haven't seen any postings from owners, but it appears that Taurus is using the exact same sights on their Millennium Pro, 24/7 Pro, AND their 1911... so that would generate a significant market.

On the Taurus website, they indicate that the new OSS will have an alternate sight available... a Novak Extreme Duty adjustable! But NO ONE has ANY idea when such an item will ever become a reality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts