Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Administrator
Can't really say but at the range/gunshop where I hang out, Taurus is a top seller. That wasn't true a year or so ago. The owner can't keep 'em. :shooter:

TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
IMO .. Taurus is more like the black sheep. Lots of people have them, but only about half of the folks who have them will admit to it.

Registered
i dont think it will keep growing it will slow down i think..

why? well the 92 i bought is flawless.. a bit rough under the pistol grips and stuff but other wise a very solid gun.

the revolver i bought 627 tracker, had problems with the first 2 i got BRAND NEW. QA seems to be sporadic at best.

also it seems their prices are creeping up ever so much.. without putting the finishing touches and refining the guns that extra little bit as their prices get closer and closer to other brands that do S&W, Beretta, Ruger.. they're sells will probably slow since there is less value in buying their guns over the competition.. true they have some unique guns.. but most of what they sell are clones or very similar can be had else where.

if they clean up their QA and refine the guns a little more i dont see any reason they can't compete on the same level as every one else.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Flyer said:
IMO .. Taurus is more like the black sheep. Lots of people have them, but only about half of the folks who have them will admit to it.
Thanks for the comment. Would Taurus be to guns what Toyota was to cars a decade or two ago?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
joe sixpack said:
i dont think it will keep growing it will slow down i think..

why? well the 92 i bought is flawless.. a bit rough under the pistol grips and stuff but other wise a very solid gun.

the revolver i bought 627 tracker, had problems with the first 2 i got BRAND NEW. QA seems to be sporadic at best.

also it seems their prices are creeping up ever so much.. without putting the finishing touches and refining the guns that extra little bit as their prices get closer and closer to other brands that do S&W, Beretta, Ruger.. they're sells will probably slow since there is less value in buying their guns over the competition.. true they have some unique guns.. but most of what they sell are clones or very similar can be had else where.

if they clean up their QA and refine the guns a little more i dont see any reason they can't compete on the same level as every one else.
Thanks for the message. The demand for Taurus' revolvers and pistols is booming, at record and never before seen levels. As the firm's profits exceed earlier expectations and more money is invested on R&D, to enhance the quality of its products and production efficiency, Taurus tends to increasingly be associated with the industry's cutting edge.

Registered
In addition to the above comments I'll add:

I do feel that Taurus is a good value and will likely increase as time goes on. And many people feel that the new revolvers from domestic makers are not anywhere near as good as the ones produced many years ago.

If Taurus would modify/increase effort towards LE (Law Enforcement) marketing that would probably help increase their market share. Just look at Glock for an example. If the general public sees or hears about department X shifting to Taurus from Glock, Sig, or Smith (for example) that will help. The above mentioned brands give LE a good to great discount on the guns. Yes, not much money (per gun) is made but the Marketing Brand is helped.

One area that I feel Taurus improve on is their organization and system for Custom Service. I (fortunately) haven't had to deal with them (yet) but having the gun logged into the system as soon as it arrives would help. Even if there is a few days wait until a tech can look at it, the gun's owner who calls to see how its doing can be told "Well sir, your gun was received and logged into our system on monday but due to the number of guns ahead of it, a tech won't be able to look at it until thursday or friday. And sir, just as a point of reference, 75% (I'm just tossing a number out here) of the guns we receive in either don't need any work or just a minor adjustment. But with our Lifetime Warranty many people send in their guns to be checked, just to be sure nothings wrong." When an owner calls in and there is either no record found or conflicting information (from call to call) it doesn't make a good impression and gun owners talk, alot.

Another thing that would help is a definite list of whats acceptable to change/replace on a gun that won't void the warranty. When Customer Service is asked this, the answer changes depending on who you talk to and possibly the phase of the moon.

One thing that I feel Taurus could also do is make a limited run of various older designs that are well liked but didn't sell enough to keep in steady production. The various large bore (45 Colt, 44 Special, 45 ACP) snubby revolvers come to mind here. Even if every couple of years they make a few hundred or thousand, say 1 caliber a year, they would sell. Those large bore revolvers are desired by many people for carry and with more States passing carry laws there are more people interested.

We're starting to see more after market support as far as different sights and holsters available. Many people don't like a given type of sight and may not get a gun that has them, especially if they can't easily replace them. An example here is the 2" 44 magnum Tracker. I'm not a fan of the fiber optic sights and thats what is on the front of the gun. I haven't gotten one because I'm not sure that I can get it replaced easily. Since the sight is dovetailed in, a basic front sight of the correct height could be offered. I wouldn't care if I had to order it myself and put it on, its available. More of the high end holster makers are adding Taurus guns to their list. I'm not sure what the company could do to help with this.

Another thing that could increase sales is an available Custom or Semi-Custom Shop. I'm not talking about full on custom built guns. But if a person wanted a Tracker series gun without the muzzle porting, right now they are out of luck. But if there was a Custom Shop they could have the gun altered with the warranty still valid. And there might be limits here. With the Tracker example above, say the Shop took a 6" gun (standard item) and shortened the barrel down to a 4" but without the ports. The owner is now happy and will tell his friends about it. And when there isn't enough work to keep the Custom Shop busy, they help with Warranty work.

Guess I had more to say than I thought. :D

Steelheart

Registered

Registered
I believe Taurus now enjoys the market Ruger once had. They have a very reliable product that people can afford. Especially when it comes to revolvers. Ruger has flown the coop with their redhawks with prices soaring to $800 for an "Alaskan" revolver. Their vaqueros and blackhawks, thankfully are still reasonably priced, but their rifles too have gotten into the Remington price range. I believe Ruger has lost it's way when it comes to "affordable" guns. Taurus, however seems to be following the Ruger strategy, with their product line not costing much more than a weeks pay, and have built their reputation up enough to where the customers can trust it. And the sales records show it.

Registered
taurusprivateequity said:
Thanks for the message. The demand for Taurus' revolvers and pistols is booming, at record and never before seen levels. As the firm's profits exceed earlier expectations and more money is invested on R&D, to enhance the quality of its products and production efficiency, Taurus tends to increasingly be associated with the industry's cutting edge.
well i can say this.. i would not buy another revolver from them because of the hassle of finding a good sample of the tracker i bought.. 2 pos out of 3 guns is not what i would call quality on any level.

the 92 has all the good qualities as my beretta.. but the fit and finish is not even in the same league, and once you start hanging with the big boys it's not enough to have a functional gun, it has to also be tight and pretty.

they have record sells.. well so i hear.. but i might suggest it's easier to climb the ladder then it is to hang on.. quality comes before success not the other way around, luckly i've not had to deal with CS yet but from the stories i've heard it's nothing but delays and excuses.

people trying to collect on the life time warrant have been givin the finger.. granted this what i've read no 1st hand exp yet.

a victim of their own success where customers outpaced their ability to service them.. you wont continue to grow and gain brand recognition if that lasts long term.

with all the used berettas and police trade in's on the market.. i think if someone asked me for advice i'd suggest picking up a used beretta which can be had for less then new taurus unless they want it for the safety.. which i happily give favor to the taurus for.

if it could use beretta mags without modification it would be so much the better, understandably they was designed independently in the same period so thats not possible unless they change the design now and cause compatibility problems within their own product line.

i know i sound like im bashing taurus a bit.. but it's the truth the value has been sucked out of this gun maker.. if they increase fit&finish then they can compete with everyone else.. but as their prices push closer and closer everyone else you must ask your self WHY taurus? although they have some unique designs most are clones or very similar to whats already out on the market.. if they push prices higher and higher and still sell "rough" guns i dont see the point in saving 50 bucks.. thats not what i call a value.

at this point i suggest scaling back prices a bit other wise they should go the opposite route and increase quality.. because this half way in between is not a good value and not up to snuff on the finishing touches.

Dont get me wrong, I am happy with my pt92 and 627 tracker.
BUT if the prices get much higher i'd see little point in buying a taurus, esp with their seemingly lack of QA.

P.S
it does not take R&D to finish a piece up, you have damaged guns R&D can't fix that.. R&D also can't fix tool marks and metal burs, scratches and tool marks left over from forging/casting/machining..

what fixes this is attention to detail and a few bucks extra to clean the gun up before it's sent out.
it's like polishing the hub cap on a car when it rolls off the assembly line, it might take a little extra effort to do but it's not high tech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.